Jonathan has worked as project and programme manager for both the private and public sectors in the UK and internationally. He has PhD, MRes and MBA degrees, all from Cranfield University. Prior to joining Cranfield in 2007, he worked as a programme director for Energis plc and as a management consultant for PA Consulting, where he worked on major organizational change programmes in a range of public and private sector organizations in the UK and overseas. Before his MBA (1998) Jonathan worked as both an engineering project manager and design engineer for a range of prestigious engineering organizations such as Ove Arup and Partners, Whitby and Bird, and Taylor Woodrow. Projects varied in scale from a complete medical city in the Gulf region to Canary Wharf, new NHS hospitals, residential developments and nuclear facilties. He is a Chartered Civil and Structural Engineer.
- Lecturer, Project and Programme Management
- Director, Doctoral Core Research Methods Training Programme
- International Executive Doctorate Cohort Leader (2011-15)
- Research stream 1 - Public sector projects and programmes
- Research stream 2 - NGO management and organization
- UK Government - HMRC, Home Office, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Ministry of Defence, Department for Work and Pensions, HMLR, Department of Health, Department for Education, DEFRA, ECGD, Northern Ireland Office, House of Commons
- IT - EDS, HP
Articles In Journals
- Lupson J & Partington D (2011) Individual Civil Servants' Conceptions of Accountability: A Preliminary Study, Public Management Review, 13 (7) 895-918.
- Kutsch E, Maylor H, Weyer B & Lupson J (2011) Performers, trackers, lemmings and the lost: Sustained false optimism in forecasting project outcomes - Evidence from a quasi-experiment, International Journal of Project Management, 29 (8) 1070-1081.
- Lupson J, Beattie K & Pilbeam C (2013) Implementing beneficiary accountability: challenges in the field. In: BAM 2013: British Academy of Management annual conference, Liverpool.
- Kutsch E, Maylor H, Lupson J & Partington D (2009) Performers, trackers, lemmings and the lost: sustained false optimism in forecasting project outcomes - evidence from a quasi-experiment. In: IRNOP IX, Berlin.
- Partington D, Maylor H, Kutsch E & Lupson J (2008) Sustained false optimism in project performance tracking: Evidence from an MBA project management simulation. In: 19th Annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, La Jolla.
- Kutsch E & Lupson J (2008) Ignorance and uncertainty: The case of irrelevance in project management. In: 19th Annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, La Jolla.
- Lupson J (2006) An interpretive study of accountability: The case of the senior responsiblw owner. In: Accountable Governance: An International Research Colloquium, Belfast.
- Lupson J & Partington D (2003) Competent project sponsorship in the UK public sector: a research agenda. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Harrogate.