Cranfield offers advice and guidance to international students who require a visa to study in the UK.
If you require a visa in order to study at Cranfield University, the Student Immigration and Funding Team can offer support and advise in the following areas:
- Tier 4 (General) for full-time and part-time courses - applying from outside the UK;
- Tier 4 (General) for full-time and part-time courses - applying from inside the UK;
- PBS (Tier 4 General) Dependants;
- Short Term Study visas for short courses of less than 6 months;
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS);
- CAS numbers;
- Other visa categories on which you can study.
Students coming to Cranfield to study one of our full-time or part-time taught or research programmes, or our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme, will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa. Students coming to Cranfield to study one of our short courses will need to apply for a Short Term Study visa.
Please read the following information carefully, and if you have any questions regarding immigration please email us.
From May 2019, nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America will be able to use eGate entry at the border in 15 UK airports and the Eurotunnel.
If you are a national from one of these countries and you are coming to the UK for a study visit of 6 months or less:
- Please DO NOT use the eGate entry. You are required to visit a border force officer to receive an entry stamp in your passport on arrival in order for you to register with us as a student on a Short Term Study visa.
- Please DO NOT attempt to use the eGates to obtain a standard visit visa, as this visa is not accepted for study purposes.
If you are a national from one of these countries and you are coming to the UK for study using a Tier 4 visa:
- You are eligible to use the eGates, however, we will require proof that you entered the UK during the validity period of your Entry Clearance stamp. As such, please be sure to have evidence such as your boarding pass, flight tickets or flight booking available at registration.
- Alternatively, you can visit a border force officer on arrival at the airport and receive an entry stamp in your passport instead of using the eGate system.
All other nationalities and visa holders must use the standard entry points and be seen by a border force officer.Download further details about the use of eGates.
Tier 4 (General) visa
We offer advice and guidance on how to apply for the Tier 4 (General) visa from both inside and outside the UK. We can also help with the following visas:
- Tier 4 Dependant visa for full-time Tier 4 (General) students only;
- Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme;
- Schengen visa;
- Short Term Study visa;
- Tier 2 visa;
- Tier 1 visa (Graduate Entrepreneur).
Short Term Study visa
If you are studying a short course at Cranfield University you can enter the UK using a Short Term Study visa which is valid for 6 months.
You can apply online unless you are living in North Korea. In this case you will need to download the application form from the UKVI website.
You will require the following documents in support of your application:
- Current passport;
- Two passport photographs - these must comply with the Home Office photograph guidance guidelines;
- Your unconditional offer letter from Cranfield University;
- Evidence of your finances, e.g. payslips or bank statements for the last six months;
- Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn't pay for your accommodation or travel until you get your visa;
- Evidence of any previous study or qualifications gained, including any English language certificates;
- Your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you're from a country where you have to take the test;
- Valid ATAS certificate - if appropriate for your course of study (this will be detailed as a requirement in your offer letter).
Meet the Student Immigration and Funding Team
Head of Student Immigration and Funding
Student Immigration and Funding Manager
Student Immigration and Funding Manager
Student Immigration and Funding Adviser