A number one UK University
We are a specialist postgraduate university with world-class, large-scale facilities and a staff-to-student ratio that is one of the best for any university in the UK. Our global success is reflected in our rankings and awards:
- We are ranked number one in the UK for aerospace engineering (more than five times as many master's students in the UK study at Cranfield each year than at the university in second place) HESA 2016/17.
- We are number one in production and manufacturing engineering (28% of the 90 graduates in the UK studied at Cranfield.) HESA 2016/17.
- We're number one in the UK for transport and automotive postgraduates (with over twice as many students as the university in second place) HESA 2016/17.
- 7th in the UK for commercial research, consultancy and professional development, HESA 2016/17.
The Times Higher Education World Rankings, The Times World Rankings, The Complete University Guide and The Guardian, which focus on helping prospective undergraduate students to compare universities, don't list Cranfield University as we are exclusively postgraduate.
Five-time winner of the Queen's Anniversary Prize
The high-quality and distinctive nature of our work has been recognised through numerous prizes and awards, including the award of the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Further and Higher Education on five separate occasions, for our:
- Research and education in large-scale soil and environmental data for the sustainable use of natural resources, 2017.
- Education and research into safe water and sanitation for the world's poorest communities, 2015.
- World-leading work in aviation safety through research and training in air accident investigation, 2011.
- Role in humanitarian demining, 2007.
- Fellowship in Manufacturing Management, 2005.
Our research is relevant and informed by our leading thinking:
- We are ranked number one in the UK for research income per academic by The Times Higher Education 2017.
- 81% of the research at Cranfield is classed as world-leading or internationally excellent, and we are number 54 in the UK for research power, Research Excellence Framework 2014. This score informs the allocation of research funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).
- We're number one in aerospace engineering PhDs (22% of all aerospace engineering research degrees of the 140 graduates studied at Cranfield.) HESA 2016/17.
- We are ranked seventh in the UK for commercial research, consultancy and profesional development, HESA 2016/17
Cranfield School of Management rankings
Cranfield School of Management consistently ranks highly for MBAs, management qualifications and executive education:
- 1st in the UK and 7th in the world in The Economist Which MBA? Masters in Management (MiM) 2017 ranking.
- In the Financial Times Executive Education rankings 2018, we are ranked among the top 15 business schools in Europe and one of the top 5 in the UK for both open and customised executive development programmes. We are in the top ten in the world for the international reach of our customised programmes.
- 3rd in the UK and 10th in the world (outside the US) in Forbes' ranking of The Best International MBAS: One-Year Programmes 2017.
- 1st outside the US and 11th globally in the Supply Chain Management World 'University 100' annual survey 2016.
- MSc in Finance and Management 4th in the UK and 29th in the world by the Financial Times in 2017.
Mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering
Cranfield ranks 5th in the UK for mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering in the QS World University Rankings 2018.
|UK ranking||World ranking||University|
|1||3||University of Cambridge|
|2||7||University of Oxford|
|3||8||Imperial College London|
|4||38||The University of Manchester|
|6||51-100||The University of Sheffield|
||University of Bath|
||University of Bristol|
||University of Southampton|
Research Excellence Framework (REF), 2014
81% of research is world-leading or internationally excellent
81% of the research at Cranfield is classed as world-leading or internationally excellent REF, 2014. This score informs the allocation of research funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). You can see some case studies demonstrating this research on this page. For more examples visit our research excellence page.