Top five UK university
Ranked in the top five UK universities for commercial income for research, Cranfield is able to invest in and has become home to many world-class, large-scale facilities, which enhance our teaching and research.
The big questions that face the world today pose fundamental challenges for industry, governments and society. They motivate us to use our expertise in management, engineering, science and technology to produce answers that make a tangible difference globally.
>Through our industry partnerships, applied research projects and our executive education and professional development programmes, we have mutually-beneficial relationships with around 1,500 companies and organisations.
Cranfield students, staff and partners benefit from a reinforcing circle of progress. We work on cutting-edge research with our industry partners that informs our students’ education, so that our graduates go into industry as experts in science, technology, engineering and management.
Five-time winner of the Queen's Anniversary Prize
We are honoured to have been recognised by the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Further and Higher Education on five separate occasions, for our:
- Research and education in large-scale soil and environmental data for the sustainable use of natural resources, 2017.
- Education and research into safe water and sanitation for the world's poorest communities, 2015.
- World-leading work in aviation safety through research and training in air accident investigation, 2011.
- Role in humanitarian demining, 2007.
- Fellowship in Manufacturing Management, 2005.
This short animation on the benefits of the Nano membrane toilet demonstrates one of Cranfield’s contributions to research into safe water and sanitation for the world’s poorest communities:
Research Excellence Framework (REF), 2014
81% of research is world-leading or internationally excellent
81% of the research at Cranfield is classed as world-leading or internationally excellent REF, 2014. This score informs the allocation of research funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). You can see some case studies demonstrating this research on this page. For more examples visit our research excellence page.
Management school league tables
'Top for overseas programmes' Financial Times, 2016Cranfield School of Management consistently ranks highly for MBAs, management qualifications and executive education in the Financial Times, Bloomberg, Economist and Poets and Quants league tables.
- 3rd in the UK and 10th in the world (outside the US) in Forbes’ ranking of The Best International MBAs: One-Year Programs 2017
- 6th in the UK and 99th in the world in the FT ranking of Executive MBA programmes 2016
- MSc in Finance and Management 4th in the UK and 29th in the world by the FT in 2017
- 1st in the UK and 7th in the world in the Economist Which MBA? Masters in Management (MiM) 2017 ranking.
As an exclusively postgraduate university, Cranfield University is excluded from Times Higher Education World Rankings, The Times World Rankings, The Complete University Guide and The Guardian, which focus on helping prospective undergraduate students to compare universities.