Education Qualifications 2008 Doctorate (PhD) in Service Operations Management awarded by Cranfield School of Management. External Examiners: Prof. M. Gregory, Cambridge University and Dr. D. Barnes, Royal Holloway, University of London.
Industrial experience (1979 onwards) at senior management levels with organisations in the hospitality and leisure sector in the UK and Middle East.
Bob specialises in teaching and researching the process and content of operations strategy and how service organisations can achieve strategic fit. As well as significant involvement in the various MBA courses, the MSc in Management, General Management and Cranfield open programmes, he also works with companies to help them plan, design, organise and deliver service improvement, global operations strategy formulation and implementation programmes. He recently helped one global organisation develop its Operations Academy. He is also in demand as an associate at universities in the UK and across Europe. List of specialisms includes:
Service operations strategy
Global operations strategy and network configuration
Managing international technology transfer.
Over the past 10 years, the list of Cranfield clients for whom work on in-company programmes has been carried out includes:
Unilever Enterprse Support, IT and Innovation (ESIT & Innovation) from 2011 on-going
ANZ Bank 2012 (commenced 2009); Emirates 2012 (commenced 2007); Barclays Bank 2011
AirFrance/KLM 2010BAT 2009 (commenced 2005)
Stewart Milne Construction 2006 (commenced 2003);
Trelleborg 2005 (commenced 2002);
Premier Foods (originally Northern Foods) 2005.
Aventis 2004 (commenced 2002); Tarmac 2004.
Diamond Trading Co. (2003); Coors Brewers (2003)
Articles In Journals
- Lillis B & Macaulay S (2015) The skills of sustaining change, Training Journal -Ely- (September) 52-55.
- Lillis B, Szwejczewski M & Goffin K (2015) The development of innovation capability in services: research propositions and management implications, Operations Management Research, 8 (1-2) 48-68.
- Lillis B & Szwejczewski M (2015) Sustaining change in manufacturing companies, Management Services -Enfield-, 59 (1) 40-42.
- Lillis B (2015) Freeing bottlenecks in global service processes, Supply business, 3 (1) 46-47.
- Lillis B & Macaulay S (2015) New tactics: from tactical to strategic service innovator, Management Services -Enfield-, 59 (2) 22-24.
- Lillis B & Sweeney M (2013) Managing the fit between the views of competitive strategy and the strategic role of service operations, European Management Journal, 31 (6) 564-590.
- Macaulay S & Lillis B (2012) A strategic fit for L and D, Training Journal -Ely- (June) 28-32.
- Lillis B & Macaulay S (2012) Achieving strategic fit, Management Services -Enfield-, 56 (2) 40-43.
- Sweeney M & Lillis B (2012) Auditing strategic business management, Management Services -Enfield-, 56 (4) 44-47.
- Lillis B & Szwejczewski M (2012) An exploratory study of strategic operations audit methods in services, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 32 (11) 1306-1336.
- Lillis B & Macaulay S (2008) Strengthening your service leadership, Training Journal -Ely- (Dec) 41-44.
- Lillis B & Macaulay S (2008) Strategy and leadership: look back to move forward, Customer Strategy -Cmp Information Ltd- (Jul/Aug) 10-11.
- Lillis B & Sweeney M (2007) Too busy to devise an operations strategy?, Hospitality Review (October) 48-52.
- Lillis B & Lane R (2007) Auditing the Strategic Role of Operations, International Journal of Management Reviews, 9 (3) 191-210.
- Szwejczewski M, Lillis B, Grando A & Belvedere V (2014) Sustaining Organisational Change: Testing Buchanan's Provisional Model in Manufacturing Companies. In: 21st EurOMA Conference, Palermo, 20 June 2014.
- Lillis B (2005) Towards a framework of strategic operations environments. In: 3rd Annual ANZAM Operations Management Symposium, Rockhampton, 12 June 2005.
- Lillis R (2000) A study of the strategic position of the operations function in the service firm. In: British Academy of Management annual conference, Edinburgh, 13 September 2000.
- Lillis B (2014) Service Productivity in the Hotel Business. In: Driving Service Productivity: Value-Creation through Innovation. Bessant J, Lehmann C, Moeslein K (ed.), Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, p. 167-189.
- Lillis B (2000) Using a role-play business game - the InterAttica Hotel, Ascan. In: The International Simulation and Gaming Research Yearbook. Saunders D, Smalley N (ed.), Kogan Page, p. 142-151.