Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Precision Engineering
- Renewable Energy
- Space Systems
- Structures and Materials
- Ultraprecision & Nano-engineering
Dr Xavier Tonnellier joined the Precision Engineering Centre at Cranfield University in 2004. Whilst working as a Research Assistant, he wrote a PhD thesis entitled "Precision Grinding for Rapid Manufacturing of Large Optics". In 2008, he was appointed Research Fellow in the UK's Integrated Knowledge Centre for Ultra Precision and Structured Surfaces (IKC-UPS2). He obtained an MSc in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering from ENIT (Grande Ecole, France) in 2004. He worked on research projects including "High Speed Green Machining of Ceramics Space Components" (Boostec, France) and "High Speed Machining of Light Alloy Aerospace Components" (LTU/SAAB Aircraft, Sweden).
Current activitiesDr Xavier Tonnellier's current research interests focus on:
- Large scale ultra precision surfaces technologies and process development
- Advanced optical fabrication for space and astronomy
- High precision grinding technology
- Robotic polishing technology
- Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) technologies - Solar tubes coating technology.
- Space lighweight ceramic optics (Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd, Mersen-Boostec)
- Large glass telescope mirrors (ESO, EPSRC)
- Laser mirrors (Gooch & Housego, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
- Medical suppliers
- SOlar concentrated mirror and lenses (Larkfleet)
- Solar desalination technologies (Waterleau, British Council)
- Solar Wastewater treatment technologies (British Council)
Articles In Journals
- Almond H, Tonnellier X, Sansom C, Pearce M & Sengar N (2019) The design and modification of a parabolic trough system for the hydrothermal liquefaction of waste, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2126 (1) 120001-1-120001-6.
- Doytchinov I, Shore P, Nicquevert B, Tonnellier X, Almond H & Modena M (2019) Thermal effects compensation and associated uncertainty for large magnet assembly precision alignment, Precision Engineering, 59 (September) 134-149.
- Doytchinov I, Tonnellier X, Shore P, Nicquevert B, Modena M & Mainaud Durand H (2018) Application of probabilistic modelling for the uncertainty evaluation of alignment measurements of large accelerator magnets assemblies, Measurement Science and Technology, 29 (5) Article No. 054001.
- Tawfik M, Tonnellier X & Sansom C (2018) Light source selection for a solar simulator for thermal applications: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 90 (July) 802-813.
- Perini S, Tonnellier X, King P & Sansom C (2017) Theoretical and experimental analysis of an innovative dual-axis tracking linear Fresnel lenses concentrated solar thermal collector, Solar Energy, 153 (September) 679-690.
- Adebayo Y, Mehnen J & Tonnellier X (2014) Effects of solid lubricants on wire and arc additive manufactured structures, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 228 (4) 563-571.
- Comley P, Morantz P, Shore P & Tonnellier X (2011) Grinding metre scale mirror segments for the E-ELT ground based telescope, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 60 (1) 379-382.
- Tonnellier X, Howard K, Morantz P & Shore P (2011) Surface integrity of precision ground fused silica for high power laser applications, Procedia Engineering, 19 357-362.
- Shore P, Cunningham C, Debra D, Evans C, Hough J, Gilmozzi R, Kunzmann H, Morantz P & Tonnellier X (2010) Precision engineering for astronomy and gravity science, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 59 (2) 694-716.
- Tonnellier X, Morantz P, Shore P, Baldwin A, Walker D & Evans R (2007) Subsurface damage caused during rapid grinding of Zerodur, Key Engineering Materials **, 10 1-6.
- Norman J, Tonnellier X & Morantz P (2016) A method for assessing measurement precision and stability of optical probes. In: 16th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Nottingham, 30 May - 3 June 2016.
- Tjahjono B, Martínez-Conde Moreno J, Tonnellier X, Schaeffer R & Portugal-Pereira J (2016) Towards the development of the supply chain of concentrated solar power. In: International Congress On Logistics and SCM Systems, 2016, Bali, 27-29 July 2016.
- Sansom C, Tonnellier X, Read R, Nicholls J & Dorey R (2014) Design and fabrication of a coating research machine to explore the nanometer scale coating of glass tubes for Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) systems. In: 14th International Conference and Exhibition of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN 2014), Dubrovnik, 2-6 June 2014.
- Shore P, Morantz P, Read R, Tonnellier X, Comley P, Jourdain R & Castelli M (2014) Productive modes for ultra-precision grinding of freeform optics. In: Joint Meeting of the American Society for Precision Engineering (ASPE) and the Asian Society for Precision Engineering (ASPEN) on Manufacture and Metrology of Freeform and Off-Axis Aspheric Surfaces, Kohala Coast, Hawaii, 26-27 June 2014.
- Tonnellier X, Comley P, Peng XQ & Shore P (2013) Robot Based Sub-Aperture Polishing for the Rapid Production of Metre-Scale Optics. In: LAMDAMAP 2013 - Laser Metrology and Performance X, 20 March 2013.
- Tonnellier X, Comley P, Peng XQ & Shore P (2013)
Development of an Industrial Robot Based Polishing Platform for Large Optical Components. In: 3rd EOS Conference on Manufacturing of Optical Components (EOSMOC 2013), Munich, 13 May 2013.
- Adebayo A, Mehnen J & Tonnellier X (2013) Limiting travel speed in additive layer manufacturing. In: 9th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research, 2012, Chicago, Illinois, 4 June 2012.
- Matas E, Jenkins C, De La Iglesia A, Tonnellier X, Marson S, Lewis M & Cellek S (2012) Development of a microfluidic chamber to study nerve-muscle interaction. In: 17th European Congress on Alternatives to Animal Testing / 14th Annual Congress of EUSAAT (2012), Linz, 5 September 2012.
- Tonnellier X & Shore P (2011) Precision Engineering behind European Astronomy Programmes. In: JSPE Spring International Conference, 2011, Tokyo, 14 March 2011.
- Tonnellier X, Morantz P, Shore P & Comley P (2010) Precision grinding for rapid fabrication of segments for extremely large telescopes using the Cranfield BoX. In: Modern Technologies in Space and Ground Based Telescopes and Instrumentation, San Diego, CA, 27 June - 2 July 2010.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Morantz P & Baldwin A (2009) Surface quality of sintered silicon carbide using an effective grinding process. In: World of Photonics Congress 2009 : Manufacturing of Optical Components, Munich, 15 June 2009.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Morantz P & Orton D (2008) Development of an ultra precision grinding capability for large optics. In: Cranfield multi-strand conference: creating wealth through research and innovation (CMC 2008), Cranfield, 6 May 2008.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Morantz P, Baldwin A, Walker D, Yu G & Evans R (2008) Sub-surface damage issues for effective fabrication of large optics. In: Advanced Optical and Mechanical Technologies in Telescopes and Instrumentation, Marseille, 23 June 2008.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Morantz P & Orton D (2008) Surface quality of a 1m Zerodur® part using an effective grinding mode. In: Optical Fabrication, Testing, and Metrology III, 2008, Glasgow, Scotland, 2-4 September 2008.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Morantz P, Baldwin A, Evans R & Walker D (2007) Comparison of the subsurface damage induced when precision grinding ULE® and Zerodur® surfaces. In: 8th International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology, Machine Tool, CMM and Robotic Performance (LAMDAMAP 2007), Cardiff, 25 June 2007.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Luo X, Morantz P & Baldwin A (2007) High performance grinding studies on optical materials suitable for large optics. In: CIRP 2nd International Conference on High Performance Cutting, 2006, Vancouver, 13 June 2006.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Morantz PMH, Luo X & Baldwin A (2006) Diamond resin bond wheel wear in precision grinding of optical materials. In: 4th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR 2006), Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK, 5 September 2006.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P, Luo X, Baldwin A, Morantz PMH, Jin T & Stephenson DJ (2006) Wheel wear investigations when precision grinding of optical materials using the BoX grinding mode. In: Fifth International Conference on High Speed Machining, Metz, France, 14 March 2006.
- Shore P, Morantz P, Luo X, Tonnellier X, Collins R, Roberts A, May-Miller R & Read R (2005) Big OptiX ultra precision grinding/measuring system.
- Shore P, Morantz PMH, Luo X, Tonnellier X, Read R & May-Miller R (2005) Design philosophy of the ultra precision Big OptiX "BoX" Machine. In: LAMDAMAP, Cranfield University, Cranfield, Bedfordshire, UK, 27 June 2005.
- Shore P, Luo X, Tonnellier X, Morantz PMH, Stephenson DJ, Collins RG, Roberts AJ, May-Miller R & Read R (2005) Grinding mode of the BOX ultra precision free-form grinder. In: ASPE 20th Annual Conference, Norfolk, Virginia, USA, 9 October 2005.
- Tonnellier X, Shore P & Morantz P Sub-surface damage evaluation in grinding of large optics. In: ASPE Annual Conference 2008, Portland, Oregon, 19 October 2008.