Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Oil and Gas
- Renewable Energy
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
- Structures and Materials
Dr Vipin received his Ph.D. in 2016 from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He is specialized in safety and risk assessment of critical infrastructures. His Ph.D. thesis is entitled ‘Safety and Risk Assessment of Damaged Multi-planar Square Hollow Section (SHS) TT-, YT- and KT-joints’. After his Ph.D., Dr Vipin worked as the program manager of Singapore Ministry of National Development project on sustainable urban living – ‘Intensification of Low-Density Developments: Functional bridging buildings’. The 3 million Singapore Dollar project was successfully completed in the first half of 2017. Dr Vipin’s performance as the employee for the project was given the rating ‘Far Exceeds Expectations’.
Dr Vipin completed his Bachelors in Civil Engineering from College of Engineering Trivandrum, University of Kerala, India in 2008. Subsequently, he joined the South Korean multi-national firm, GS Engineering & Construction as a Graduate Engineer Trainee. Upon obtaining promotion as an Assistant Engineer, Dr Vipin was involved in successful projects in United Arab Emirates, Russia and South Korea.
Dr Vipin obtained certificates for successfully completing courses on university teaching as well as research integrity courses. Thereafter, he has given lectures on ‘Engineering Drawing’ in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He has published his research outputs in various top-tier journals and his research interest’s span across Risk assessment, Engineering Mechanics, Structural Integrity, Structural Engineering, Regression and Data Analysis.
Dr Vipin is currently a Research Fellow in Risk and Reliability Engineering at Offshore Energy Engineering Centre. He is involved in the project titled ‘Evaluation of wind farm support structures performance based on extrapolation of Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) data from selected instrumented units’. His main activities for the project involves,
- Data interpolation using methods such as
kriging and support vector machines
- Development of source codes for the data
- Structural and Geo-technical modelling
He is also involved in the experimental tests to measure 'Welding Residual Stresses in Offshore Mono-pile Structures’. Dr Vipin is also designing a short course titled ‘Advanced Course in MATLAB’. His focus is on Optimisation and Energy Related Case Studies using MATLAB.
He is also actively working towards obtaining Fellow of higher education academy status as well as Chartered Engineering status. Broadly his current research areas can be listed as follows,
- Offshore Renewable Energy Engineering
- Performance/Risk based design and analysis
of offshore/marine energy assets
- Life Prediction/Extension of Engineering Components and Structures
- Engineering Critical Assessment
- EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
Articles In Journals
- Vipin SP, Lie ST & Li T (2017) New reduction factor for cracked square hollow section multi-planar TT-, YT- and KT-joints, Engineering Structures, 139 108-119.
- Vipin SP, Lie ST & Zhao HS (2017) New weld toe magnification factors for semi-elliptical cracks in plate-to-plate butt-welded joints, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 40 (2) 207-220.
- Vipin SP, Lie ST, Li T & Shao YB (2016) Plastic collapse load prediction of cracked circular hollow section gap K-joints under in-plane bending, Marine Structures, 50 (November) 20-34.
- Vipin SP, Lie ST & Li T (2015) New reduction factor for cracked square hollow section T-joints under axial loading, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 112 (September) 221-227.
- Vipin SP, Lie ST & Li T (2015) New weld toe magnification factors for semi-elliptical cracks in double-sided T-butt joints and cruciform X-joints, International Journal of Fatigue, 80 (November) 178-191.
- Sukumara Pillai V (2012) A new mesh modelling technique for elastic-plastic analyses of cracked plate-to-plate and circular hollow section welded joints. In: 11th International Conference on Steel, Space and Composite Structures, Qingdao, 12-14 December 2012.