Contact Dr Sandra Landahl
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758345
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
Dr Landahl is researcher in the Plant Science Laboratory, which is one of the largest University-based groups dedicated to research, consultancy and education in postharvest technology. Special interests are in non-destructively measured mechanical properties of fruit and vegetables. Experience obtained in vibrational measurement systems and near infrared spectrophotometry, and standard destructive texture testing. Biochemical techniques to evaluate organoleptic quality and health benefits were applied in multiple projects. Storage trials involving controlled atmosphere were included in postharvest technology work.
Project "Extending the availability and flavour-life of UK apples using innovative photonics" will advance UK-grown apple sales by maintaining flavour quality during storage. The UK apple industry is worth £190 million at retail and supports many jobs in the industry directly, on farms and in transport.
To achieve a year-round supply, apples are typically stored for up to six months, depending on variety. The supply of UK-grown top fruit is restricted to a small marketing window (September to March) due to late stored fruit not competing in quality terms with new season Southern Hemisphere fruit.
Our proposed work will build upon recent research to develop novel sensors to better inform targeted controlled atmosphere, which will control ripening while maintaining flavour. This offers the ability to extend storage to help reduce waste and the reliance on imports.
Project "Implementing novel, cost effective alternatives to CIPC for sustainable potato storage". Long-term storage of potato tubers is essential for year round supply. Maintaining sprout suppression and low reducing sugars during storage of processing potatoes is paramount for supply quality and minimising the formation of acrylamide; key priorities for the processing industry. Potato storage is still heavily reliant on the chemical chlorpropham (CIPC) to manage sprouting but further restrictions are coming into force. The proposed work will build upon recent research and develop novel, cost effective, benign, physiologically-targeted storage interventions which will suppress sprouting and maintain low sugars. This offers a route to incremental reduction in and ultimately the removal of the use of CIPC within the UK and beyond.
Avalon Produce Ltd., Richard Hochfeld Ltd., Chelsea Technologies Group Ltd., Univeg Katope UK Ltd., Tesco stores Ltd.
Articles In Journals
- Landahl S, Foukaraki S, McWilliam S & Terry L (2018) Optical coherence tomography imaging of potato skin to understand variability in response to pre- and postharvest factors, Acta Horticulturae, 1201 (April) 331-338.
- Sowe S, Landahl S, Tosetti R & Terry LA (2018) Physiological and biochemical dynamics of sweet potato as affected by controlled atmosphere storage treatments, Acta Horticulturae, 1194 (April) 1253-1258.
- Alamar MC, Tosetti R, Landahl S, Bermejo A & Terry LA (2017) Assuring future potato tuber quality during storage: A future perspective, Frontiers in Plant Science, 8 Article No. 2034.
- Amoah RS, Landahl S & Terry LA (2017) Design and construction of a flexible laboratory-scale mixing apparatus for continuous ethylene supplementation of fresh produce, Biosystems Engineering, 157 (May) 86-91.
- Nkwonta C, Alamar M, Landahl S & Terry L (2016) Effects of postharvest storage and processing techniques on the main fatty acids in the profile of oil extracted from African Walnut (Tetracarpidium conophorum Mull. Arg.), Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 45 (February) 87-94.
- Amoah RS, Landahl S & Terry LA (2016) The timing of exogenous ethylene supplementation differentially affects stored sweetpotato roots, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 120 (October) 92-102.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Cronje PJR, Landahl S, Nieuwoudt HH, Mouazen AM, Nicolaï BM & Terry LA (2014) Assessment of rind quality of ‘Nules Clementine' mandarin fruit during postharvest storage: 2. Robust Vis/NIRS PLS models for prediction of physico-chemical attributes, Scientia Horticulturae, 165 421-432.
- Magwaza LS, Landahl S, Cronje PJR, Nieuwoudt HH, Mouazen AM, Nicolaï BM, Terry LA & Opara UL (2014) The use of Vis/NIRS and chemometric analysis to predict fruit defects and postharvest behaviour of ‘Nules Clementine' mandarin fruit, Food Chemistry, 163 267-274.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Terry LA, Landahl S, Cronje PJR, Nieuwoudt HH, Hanssens A, Saeys W & Nicolaï BM (2013) Evaluation of Fourier transform-NIR spectroscopy for integrated external and internal quality assessment of Valencia oranges, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 31 (1) 144-154.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Cronje PJR, Landahl S & Terry LA (2013) Canopy position affects rind biochemical profile of ‘Nules Clementine' mandarin fruit during postharvest storage, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 86 300-308.
- Ford H, Cronje P, Opara U, Landahl S, Tatam R, Terry L, Landahl S, Ford H, Magwaza L & Opara U (2013) Application of optical coherence tomography to non-destructively characterise rind breakdown disorder of ‘Nules Clementine’ mandarins, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 84 16-21.
- Magwaza LS, Ford HD, Cronje PJR, Opara Umezuruike LO, Landahl S, Tatam RP & Terry LA (2013) Application of optical coherence tomography to non-destructively characterise rind breakdown disorder of 'Nules Clementine' mandarins, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 84 16-21.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Terry LA, Landahl S, Cronje PJ, Nieuwoudt H, Mouazen AM, Saeys W & Nicolaï BM (2012) Prediction of 'Nules Clementine' mandarin susceptibility to rind breakdown disorder using Vis/NIR spectroscopy, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 74 1-10.
- Landahl S, Meyer MD & Terry LA (2009) Spatial and temporal analysis of textural and biochemical changes of imported avocado cv. Hass during fruit ripening, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57 (15) 7039-7047.
- Zude M, Herold B, Roger J-M, Bellon-Maurel V & Landahl S (2006) Non-destructive tests on the prediction of apple fruit flesh firmness and soluble solids content on tree and in shelf life, Journal of Food Engineering, 77 (2) 254-260.
- Bechar A, Mizrach A, Barreiro P & Landahl S (2005) Determination of mealiness in apples using ultrasonic measurements, Biosystems Engineering, 91 (3) 329-334.
- Landahl S, Herppich WB, Herold B, Geyer M & De Baerdemaeker J (2004) A comprehensive evaluation of the interactions between produce elasticity and water status, European Journal of Horticultural Science, 69 (6) 250-257.
- Xing J, Landahl S, Lammertyn J, Vrindts E & De Baerdemaeker J (2003) Effects of bruise type on discrimination of bruised and non-bruised 'Golden Delicious' apples by VIS/NIR spectroscopy, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 30 (3) 249-258.
- Ford HD, Tatam RP, Landahl S & Terry LA (2012) Investigation of Disease in Stored Onions Using Optical Coherence Tomography. In: 4th International Conference Postharvest Unlimited 2011, Leavenworth, Washington, 22-26 May 2011.
- Landahl S & Terry LA (2012) Avocado Firmness Monitoring with Values Obtained by Means of Laser Doppler Vibrometry. In: 4th International Conference Postharvest Unlimited 2011, Leavenworth, Washington, 22-26 May 2011.
- Landahl S, Meyer MD & Terry LA (2010) Biochemical and textural ripeness assessment of avocado fruit from different origins. In: 3rd International Conference Postharvest Unlimited 2008, Berlin, 4 November 2008.
- Smyrniotaki M, Landahl S & Terry LA (2010) Temporal changes in textural and taste-related characteristics of seven UK-grown sh-2 sweetcorn cultivars stored under controlled atmosphere conditions. In: 10th International Controlled and Modified Atmosphere Research Conference, Antalya, 4-7 April 2009.
- Landahl S & Terry LA (2010)
Textural, biochemical and micro-structural changes in mesocarp tissue of imported avocado from Peru during ripening. In: Acta Horticulturae : 6th International Postharvest Symposium, 2009, Antalya, 1 January 2009.
- Landahl S, Terry LA & Meyer MD (2008) Spatio-temporal postharvest changes in texture and fatty acid profiles in avocado fruit from different origins. In: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting 2008, Providence, Rhode Island, 29 June 2008.
- Landahl S, Gonzalez J, Van linden V & De Baerdemaeker J (2005) The acoustic impulse-response of apples in relation to internal damage and in relation to apoplastic pH. In: 5th International Postharvest Symposium, Verona, 6 June 2004.