Contact Dr Sandra Landahl
Areas of expertise
- Agrifood Systems
- Digital Agriculture
- Food Quality
Dr Landahl is an expert in mechanical properties of fruit and vegetables with extensive experience in non-destructive vibrational measurement systems, controlled atmosphere storage and standard destructive textural, biochemical and physiological testing of fresh produce. In addition to UKRI and industrially funded research work, she is also managing the operation and maintenance of key equipment in the PSL. She is providing training for staff, students and visitors on lab equipment and is involved in both teaching and student supervision. Finally, she is also the Health and Safety co-ordinator for Agrifood with a NEBOSH certificate.
Dr Landahl co-operated with the Cranfield team since 2007, when she completed her PhD at the K. U. Leuven Belgium, and then worked for the Biomimetics department at the University of Reading for three years. After that, she joined the Plant Science Laboratory (PSL) one of the best-equipped postharvest labs in the world.
Development of a decision
support tool to reduce asparagus tip breakdown in the UK:
To reduce food waste and losses, this project will seek to identify factors responsible for tip breakdown in asparagus, and create a decision tool to predict spears predisposed to the disorder before symptoms develop.
Articles In Journals
- Herppich WB & Landahl S (2022) Physiological responses of radish (Raphanus sativus L.) to controlled water limitations – potential effects on tuber quality and shelf life, Acta Horticulturae, 1335 163-170.
- Landahl S & Terry LA (2022) Detection of internal defects in onion bulbs by means of single-point and scanning laser Doppler vibrometry, Biosystems Engineering, 221 (September) 258-273.
- Thiruchelvam T, Landahl S & Terry LA (2020) Temporal variation of volatile compounds from Sri Lankan mango (Mangifera indica L.) fruit during ripening, Journal of Agriculture and Food Research, 2 (December) Article No. 100053.
- Landahl S & Terry LA (2020) Non-destructive discrimination of avocado fruit ripeness using laser Doppler vibrometry, Biosystems Engineering, 194 (June) 251-260. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11764188
- Li M, Landahl S, East AR, Verboven P & Terry LA (2019) Optical coherence tomography—A review of the opportunities and challenges for postharvest quality evaluation, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 150 (April) 9-18.
- Sowe S, Landahl S, Tosetti R & Terry LA (2018) Physiological and biochemical dynamics of sweet potato as affected by controlled atmosphere storage treatments, Acta Horticulturae, 1194 (April) 1253-1258.
- Landahl S, Foukaraki S, McWilliam S & Terry L (2018) Optical coherence tomography imaging of potato skin to understand variability in response to pre- and postharvest factors, Acta Horticulturae, 1201 (April) 331-338.
- Amoah RS, Landahl S & Terry LA (2017) Design and construction of a flexible laboratory-scale mixing apparatus for continuous ethylene supplementation of fresh produce, Biosystems Engineering, 157 (May) 86-91.
- Alamar MC, Tosetti R, Landahl S, Bermejo A & Terry LA (2017) Assuring future potato tuber quality during storage: A future perspective, Frontiers in Plant Science, 8 Article No. 2034.
- Amoah RS, Landahl S & Terry LA (2016) The timing of exogenous ethylene supplementation differentially affects stored sweetpotato roots, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 120 (October) 92-102.
- Nkwonta C, Alamar M, Landahl S & Terry L (2016) Effects of postharvest storage and processing techniques on the main fatty acids in the profile of oil extracted from African Walnut (Tetracarpidium conophorum Mull. Arg.), Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 45 (February) 87-94.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Cronje PJR, Landahl S, Nieuwoudt HH, Mouazen AM, Nicolaï BM & Terry LA (2014) Assessment of rind quality of ‘Nules Clementine' mandarin fruit during postharvest storage: 2. Robust Vis/NIRS PLS models for prediction of physico-chemical attributes, Scientia Horticulturae, 165 421-432.
- Magwaza LS, Landahl S, Cronje PJR, Nieuwoudt HH, Mouazen AM, Nicolaï BM, Terry LA & Opara UL (2014) The use of Vis/NIRS and chemometric analysis to predict fruit defects and postharvest behaviour of ‘Nules Clementine' mandarin fruit, Food Chemistry, 163 267-274.
- Magwaza LS, Ford HD, Cronje PJR, Opara UL, Landahl S, Tatam RP & Terry LA (2013) Application of optical coherence tomography to non-destructively characterise rind breakdown disorder of 'Nules Clementine' mandarins, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 84 16-21.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Terry LA, Landahl S, Cronje PJR, Nieuwoudt HH, Hanssens A, Saeys W & Nicolaï BM (2013) Evaluation of Fourier transform-NIR spectroscopy for integrated external and internal quality assessment of Valencia oranges, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 31 (1) 144-154.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Cronje PJR, Landahl S & Terry LA (2013) Canopy position affects rind biochemical profile of ‘Nules Clementine' mandarin fruit during postharvest storage, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 86 300-308.
- Magwaza LS, Opara UL, Terry LA, Landahl S, Cronje PJ, Nieuwoudt H, Mouazen AM, Saeys W & Nicolaï BM (2012) Prediction of 'Nules Clementine' mandarin susceptibility to rind breakdown disorder using Vis/NIR spectroscopy, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 74 1-10.
- Landahl S, Meyer MD & Terry LA (2009) Spatial and temporal analysis of textural and biochemical changes of imported avocado cv. Hass during fruit ripening, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57 (15) 7039-7047.
- Zude M, Herold B, Roger J-M, Bellon-Maurel V & Landahl S (2006) Non-destructive tests on the prediction of apple fruit flesh firmness and soluble solids content on tree and in shelf life, Journal of Food Engineering, 77 (2) 254-260.
- Bechar A, Mizrach A, Barreiro P & Landahl S (2005) Determination of mealiness in apples using ultrasonic measurements, Biosystems Engineering, 91 (3) 329-334.
- Landahl S, Herppich WB, Herold B, Geyer M & De Baerdemaeker J (2004) A comprehensive evaluation of the interactions between produce elasticity and water status, European Journal of Horticultural Science, 69 (6) 250-257.
- Xing J, Landahl S, Lammertyn J, Vrindts E & De Baerdemaeker J (2003) Effects of bruise type on discrimination of bruised and non-bruised 'Golden Delicious' apples by VIS/NIR spectroscopy, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 30 (3) 249-258.
- Landahl S & Terry LA (2012) Avocado firmness monitoring with values obtained by means of laser doppler vibrometry. In: 4th International Conference Postharvest Unlimited 2011, Leavenworth, Washington, 22-26 May 2011.
- Ford HD, Tatam RP, Landahl S & Terry LA (2012) Investigation of Disease in Stored Onions Using Optical Coherence Tomography. In: 4th International Conference Postharvest Unlimited 2011, Leavenworth, Washington, 22-26 May 2011.
- Landahl S, Meyer MD & Terry LA (2010) Biochemical and textural ripeness assessment of avocado fruit from different origins. In: 3rd International Conference Postharvest Unlimited 2008, Berlin, 4 November 2008.
- Smyrniotaki M, Landahl S & Terry LA (2010) Temporal changes in textural and taste-related characteristics of seven UK-grown sh-2 sweetcorn cultivars stored under controlled atmosphere conditions. In: 10th International Controlled and Modified Atmosphere Research Conference, Antalya, 4-7 April 2009.
- Landahl S & Terry LA (2010)
Textural, biochemical and micro-structural changes in mesocarp tissue of imported avocado from Peru during ripening. In: Acta Horticulturae : 6th International Postharvest Symposium, 2009, Antalya, 1 January 2009.
- Landahl S, Terry LA & Meyer MD (2008) Spatio-temporal postharvest changes in texture and fatty acid profiles in avocado fruit from different origins. In: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting 2008, Providence, Rhode Island, 29 June 2008.
- Landahl S, Gonzalez J, Van linden V & De Baerdemaeker J (2005) The acoustic impulse-response of apples in relation to internal damage and in relation to apoplastic pH. In: 5th International Postharvest Symposium, Verona, 6 June 2004.