Areas of expertise
- Applied Informatics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Environment and Health
Dr. Rezwan is a Lecturer in Bioinformatics in the School of Water, Energy and Environment. He is also an active member of the Bioinformatics Group in AgriFood. He has over 13 years of experience in the field of bioinformatics and computational methods. He graduated with a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics in 2012 and started his career as a research fellow in bioinformatics. His initial research involved data mining high throughput genetic and epigenetic data to identify novel genes and gene regulatory networks. He was involved in a Horizon2020 project (ALEC – Aging Lungs in European Cohorts). Dr. Rezwan was awarded the prestigious Turing fellowship and his research at Turing included a pilot project applying deep learning approach on patient data from Electronic Health Record Systems (EHRS). He has track record of developing bioinformatics tools and pipelines, such as: GEO import, Single Sample DNA Methylation Data Analysis. He has extensive experience of genome-wide transcriptomic, genetic, and epigenetic analysis and next generation sequencing data analysis.
Dr. Rezwan has over 10 years of experience in teaching. He is currently teaching and leading modules in the MSc in Applied Bioinformatics. He is also supervising two doctoral students. He is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and has obtained the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice.
Dr. Rezwan’s research mainly focuses on basic and applied problems in bioinformatics using data integration and data mining to analyse genetic and epigenetic data. His interest also involves in pattern recognition and machine learning for analysing, understanding and improving computational prediction for identifying genes, their regulatory regions and other biological features.
Data Integration: The main aim of the project is to develop a robust data integration technique for heterogeneous biological data sources, based on a meta-dimensional transformation based integration technique using a Bayesian Network approach, and further extend it by performing Differential Bayesian Network testing on networks, which will potentially differentiate phenotype. From the initial analysis, it has been found that Differential Bayesian Networks can efficiently construct separate networks using DNA methylation data from different populations. This project would add value to both in fields of data integration and bioinformatics as it will develop a novel methodology for integrating omic datasets. Moreover, this project will contribute significantly to the computational modelling toolbox in life sciences as it can be potentially applied to other heterogeneous data sources.
Genetic interaction networks: This project utilised Deep Convolutional Neural Networks (DCNNs) to identify the complex relationship between genes and gene networks integrating genetic and epigenetic factors. Pair-wise associations (eQTL, mQTL, and eQTM) are identified between genotype, epigenotype, and gene expression. Subsequently separate DCNNs are generated with each type of the data, integrated together and further DCNNs model learned using the integrated data to make final predictions of key networks distinguishing specific phenotype of interest.
- University of Southampton, UK
- University of Memphis, USA
- University of Bergen, Norway
- Research Center Brostel, Germany
Articles In Journals
- Merid SK & et al (2020) Epigenome-wide meta-analysis of blood DNA methylation in newborns and children identifies numerous loci related to gestational age, Genome Medicine, 12 (1) Article No. 25. Dataset/s: 10.6084/m9.figshare.11688762.v1
- Rezwan FI, Imboden M, Amaral AFS, Wielscher M, Jeong A, Triebner K, Real FG, Jarvelin MR, Jarvis D, Probst-Hensch NM & Holloway JW (2020) Association of adult lung function with accelerated biological aging, Aging-US, 12 (1) 518-542.
- Mørkve Knudsen GT, Rezwan FI, Johannessen A, Skulstad SM, Bertelsen RJ, Real FG, Krauss-Etschmann S, Patil V, Jarvis D, Arshad SH, Holloway JW & Svanes C (2019) Epigenome-wide association of father's smoking with offspring DNA methylation: a hypothesis-generating study, Environmental Epigenetics, 5 (4) Article No. dvz023.
- Sparago A, Verma A, Patricelli MG, Pignata L, Russo S, Calzari L, De Francesco N, Del Prete R, Palumbo O, Carella M, Mackay DJG, Rezwan FI, Angelini C, Cerrato F, Cubellis MV & Riccio A (2019) The phenotypic variations of multi-locus imprinting disturbances associated with maternal-effect variants of NLRP5 range from overt imprinting disorder to apparently healthy phenotype, Clinical Epigenetics, 11 (1) Article No. 190.
- Jiang Y, Wei J, Zhang H, Ewart S, Rezwan FI, Holloway JW, Arshad H & Karmaus W (2019) Epigenome wide comparison of DNA methylation profile between paired umbilical cord blood and neonatal blood on Guthrie cards, Epigenetics, Available online 09 December 2019 (5).
- Han L, Zhang H, Kaushal A, Rezwan FI, Kadalayil L, Karmaus W, Henderson AJ, Relton CL, Ring S, Arshad SH, Ewart SL & Holloway JW (2019) Changes in DNA methylation from pre- to post-adolescence are associated with pubertal exposures, Clinical Epigenetics, 11 (1) Article No. 176.
- Sherwood WB, Bion V, Lockett GA, Ziyab AH, Soto-Ramírez N, Mukherjee N, Kurukulaaratchy RJ, Ewart S, Zhang H, Arshad SH, Karmaus W, Holloway JW & Rezwan FI (2019) Duration of breastfeeding is associated with leptin (LEP) DNA methylation profiles and BMI in 10-year-old children, Clinical Epigenetics, 11 (1) Article No. 128.
- Imboden M. et al (2019) Epigenome-wide association study of lung function level and its change, European Respiratory Journal, 54 (1) Article No. 1900457.
- Everson TM, Zhang H, Lockett GA, Kaushal A, Forthofer M, Ewart SL, Burrows K, Relton CL, Sharp GC, Henderson AJ, Patil VK, Rezwan FI, Arshad SH, Holloway JW & Karmaus W. (2019) Epigenome-wide association study of asthma and wheeze characterizes loci within HK1, Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology, 15 Article No. 43.
- Sikdar S, Joehanes R, Joubert BR, Xu CJ, Vives-Usano M, Rezwan FI, Felix JF, Ward JM, Guan W, Richmond RC, Brody JA, Küpers LK, Baïz N, Håberg SE, Smith JA, Reese SE, Aslibekyan S, Hoyo C, Dhingra R, Markunas CA, Xu T, Reynolds LM, Just AC, Mandaviya PR, Ghantous A, Bennett BD, Wang T, Bakulski KM, Melen E, Zhao S, Jin J, Herceg Z, Meurs JV, Taylor JA, Baccarelli AA, Murphy SK, Liu Y, Munthe-Kaas MC, Deary IJ, Nystad W, Waldenberger M, Annesi-Maesano I, Conneely K, Jaddoe VW, Arnett D, Snieder H, Kardia SL, Relton CL, Ong KK, Ewart S, Moreno-Macias H, Romieu I, Sotoodehnia N, Fornage M, Motsinger-Reif A, Koppelman GH, Bustamante M, Levy D & London SJ (2019) Comparison of smoking-related DNA methylation between newborns from prenatal exposure and adults from personal smoking, Epigenomics, Available online 19 September 2019 (13).
- Kazmi N et al (2019) Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy and DNA Methylation in Newborns, Hypertension, 74 (2) 375-383.
- Jeffries AR et al (2019) Growth disrupting mutations in epigenetic regulatory molecules are associated with abnormalities of epigenetic aging, Genome Research, 29 (7) 1057-1066.
- Krzyzewska IM, Alders M, Maas SM, Bliek J, Venema A, Henneman P, Rezwan FI, vd Lip K, Mul AN, Mackay DJ & Mannens MM (2019) Genome-wide methylation profiling of Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome patients without molecular confirmation after routine diagnostics, Clinical Epigenetics, 11 (1) Article No. 53.
- Reese SE et al (2019) Epigenome-wide meta-analysis of DNA methylation and childhood asthma, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 143 (6) 2062-2074.
- Losol P, Rezwan FI, Patil VK, Venter C, Ewart S, Zhang H, Arshad SH, Karmaus W & Holloway JW (2019) Effect of gestational oily fish intake on the risk of allergy in children may be influenced by FADS1/2, ELOVL5 expression and DNA methylation, Genes and Nutrition, 14 (1) Article No. 20.
- Wiklund P, Karhunen V, Richmond RC, Parmar P, Rodriguez A, De Silva M, Wielscher M, Rezwan FI, Richardson TG, Veijola J, Herzig KH, Holloway JW, Relton CL, Sebert S & Järvelin MR (2019) DNA methylation links prenatal smoking exposure to later life health outcomes in offspring, Clinical Epigenetics, 11 (1) Article No. 97.
- Zhang H, Kaushal A, Merid SK, Melén E, Pershagen G, Rezwan FI, Han L, Ewart S, Arshad SH, Karmaus W & Holloway JW (2019) DNA methylation and allergic sensitizations: A genome-scale longitudinal study during adolescence, Allergy, 74 (6) 1166-1175.
- Küpers LK et al (2019) Meta-analysis of epigenome-wide association studies in neonates reveals widespread differential DNA methylation associated with birthweight, Nature Communications, 10 (1) Article No. 1893.
- Stalman SE et al (2018) Genetic analyses in small-for-gestational-age newborns, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 103 (3) 917-925.
- Begemann M et al (2018) Maternal variants in NLRP and other maternal effect proteins are associated with multilocus imprinting disturbance in offspring, Journal of Medical Genetics, 55 (7) 497-504.
- Beckmeyer-Borowko A, Imboden M, Rezwan FI, Wielscher M, Amaral AF, Jeong A, Schaffner E, Auvinen J, Sebert S, Karhunen V, Bettschart R, Turk A, Pons M, Stolz D, Kronenberg F, Arathimos R, Sharp GC, Relton C, Henderson AJ, Jarvelin MR, Jarvis D, Holloway JW & Probst-Hensch NM (2018) SERPINA1 methylation and lung function in tobacco-smoke exposed European children and adults: A meta-analysis of ALEC population-based cohorts, Respiratory Research, 19 (1) Article No. 156.
- Mørkve Knudsen T, Rezwan F, Jiang Y, Karmaus W, Svanes C & Holloway J (2018) Transgenerational and intergenerational epigenetic inheritance in allergic diseases, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 142 (3) 765-772.
- Sharp GC et al (2017) Maternal BMI at the start of pregnancy and offspring epigenome-wide DNA methylation: Findings from the pregnancy and childhood epigenetics (PACE) consortium, Human Molecular Genetics, 26 (20) 4067-4085.
- Machin M, Amaral AF, Wielscher M, Rezwan FI, Imboden M, Jarvelin MR, Adcock IM, Probst-Hensch N, Holloway JW & Jarvis DL (2017) Systematic review of lung function and COPD with peripheral blood DNA methylation in population based studies, BMC Pulmonary Medicine, 17 (1) Article No. 54.
- Lockett G, Soto-Ramírez N, Ray M, Everson T, Xu C, Patil V, Terry W, Kaushal A, Rezwan F, Ewart SL, Gehring U, Postma D, Koppelman G, Arshad S, Zhang H, Karmaus W & Holloway J (2016) Association of season of birth with DNA methylation and allergic disease, Allergy, 71 (9) 1314-1324.
- Janjanam VD, Mukherjee N, Lockett GA, Rezwan FI, Kurukulaaratchy R, Mitchell F, Zhang H, Arshad H, Holloway JW & Karmaus W (2016) Tetanus vaccination is associated with differential DNA-methylation: Reduces the risk of asthma in adolescence, Vaccine, 34 (51) 6493-6501.
- Docherty LE, Rezwan FI, Poole RL, Turner CL, Kivuva E, Maher ER, Smithson SF, Hamilton-Shield JP, Patalan M, Gizewska M, Peregud-Pogorzelski J, Beygo J, Buiting K, Horsthemke B, Soellner L, Begemann M, Eggermann T, Baple E, Mansour S, Temple IK & Mackay DJG (2015) Mutations in NLRP5 are associated with reproductive wastage and multilocus imprinting disorders in humans, Nature Communications, 6 Article No. 8086.
- Rezwan F, Docherty L, Poole R, Lockett G, Arshad S, Holloway J, Temple I & Mackay D (2015) A statistical method for single sample analysis of humanmethylation450 array data: Genome-wide methylation analysis of patients with imprinting disorders, Clinical Epigenetics, 7 (1) Article No. 48.
- Quraishi BM, Zhang H, Everson TM, Ray M, Lockett GA, Holloway JW, Tetali SR, Arshad SH, Kaushal A, Rezwan FI & Karmaus W (2015) Identifying CpG sites associated with eczema via random forest screening of epigenome-scale DNA methylation, Clinical Epigenetics, 7 (1) Article No. 68.
- Soellner L, Monk D, Rezwan F, Begemann M, Mackay D & Eggermann T (2015) Congenital imprinting disorders: Application of multilocus and high throughput methods to decipher new pathomechanisms and improve their management, Molecular and Cellular Probes, 29 (5) 282-290.
- Rezwan F, Poole R, Prescott T, Walker J, Temple IK & Mackay D (2014) Very small deletions within the NESP55 gene in pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1b, European Journal of Human Genetics, 23 (4) 494-499.
- Docherty LE, Rezwan FI, Poole RL, Jagoe H, Lake H, Lockett GA, Arshad H, Wilson DI, Holloway JW, Temple IK & Mackay DJ (2014) Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis of patients with imprinting disorders identifies differentially methylated regions associated with novel candidate imprinted genes, Journal of Medical Genetics, 51 (4) 229-238.
- Zhang H, Tong X, Holloway JW, Rezwan FI, Lockett GA, Patil V, Ray M, Everson TM, Soto-Ramírez N, Arshad SH, Ewart S & Karmaus W (2014) The interplay of DNA methylation over time with Th2 pathway genetic variants on asthma risk and temporal asthma transition, Clinical Epigenetics, 6 (1) Article No. 8.
- Rayner TF, Rezwan FI, Lukk M, Bradley XZ, Farne A, Holloway E, Malone J, Williams E & Parkinson H (2009) MAGETabulator, a suite of tools to support the microarray data format MAGE-TAB, Bioinformatics, 25 (2) 279-280.
- Parkinson H, Kapushesky M, Kolesnikov N, Rustici G, Shojatalab M, Abeygunawardena N, Berube H, Dylag M, Emam I, Farne A, Holloway E, Lukk M, Malone J, Mani R, Pilicheva E, Rayner TF, Rezwan F, Sharma A, Williams E, Bradley XZ, Adamusiak T, Brandizi M, Burdett T, Coulson R, Krestyaninova M, Kurnosov P, Maguire E, Neogi SG, Rocca-Serra P, Sansone SA, Sklyar N, Zhao M, Sarkans U & Brazma A. (2009) ArrayExpress update--from an archive of functional genomics experiments to the atlas of gene expression, Nucleic Acids Research, 37 (Suppl 1) D868-D872.
- Robinson M, González Castellano C, Rezwan F, Adams R, Davey N, Rust A & Sun Y (2008) Combining experts in order to identify binding sites in yeast and mouse genomic data, Neural Networks, 21 (6) 856-861.