Contact Dr Arturo Molina-Cristobal
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5711
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
BackgroundArturo graduated with a BSc in Mechanical Engineering with a major in Mechantronics from Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico, in 1996. From 2001 to 2005 he completed his PhD in the Department of Automatic Control & Systems Engineering, in collaboration with the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre (UTC), at the University of Sheffield. His PhD research was aimed at comparing Linear Matrix Inequalities (LMI) techniques and genetic algorithms (GAs) in Multiobjective Control with application to gas turbine engines.
From 2005 to 2006 he joined the Cambridge Engineering Design Centre to work in Robust Multiobjective Optimisation, with application to real-world engineering problems.
From 2006 to 2009 he joined the Electrical Machines and Drives Group, at the University of Sheffield, to work in the EU-FP7 More Open Electrical Technologies (MOET) project, where the focus was Aircraft Power Systems.
He re-joined the Cambridge Engineering Design Centre (EDC) from July 2009 to May 2011 to work on the Robust Multiobjective Optimisation of Submarine Propulsion Systems project, funded by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), USA.
Current activitiesDr Molina-Cristobal has been a key collaborator and academic advisor to multiple high-profile projects for the British and European aerospace industry; in partnership with the AIRBUS, RR and others; such as, the EU-FP7 Collaborative & Robust Engineering using Simulation Capability Enabling Next Design Optimisation (CRESCENDO), the UK-TSB-ATI Configuration Optimisation of Next Generation Aircraft (CONGA), the EU-FP7 Thermal Overall Integrated Conception of Aircraft (TOICA) and currently the UK-ATI Advanced Product Analysis Enviroment (APROCONE) project.
His work is focused on developing engineering methods to advance current research areas such as Multidisciplinary Design Optimisation (MDO), uncertainty quantification & management (UQ&M), robust design and optimisation for model-based design of engineering systems.
Articles In Journals
- Chen X, Molina-Cristóbal A, Guenov MD & Riaz A (2018) Efficient method for variance-based sensitivity analysis, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Early online.
- Guenov MD, Chen X, Molina-Cristobal A, Riaz A, van Heerden ASJ & Padulo M (2018) Margin allocation and trade-off in complex systems design and optimization, AIAA Journal, 56 (7) 2887-2902.
- Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal A (2016) Set-based approach to passenger aircraft family design, Journal of Aircraft, early online version (1).
- Osornio Correa C, Villarreal Calva RC, Molina-Cristobal A, Stavillo Galsworthy JE & Santillan Gutierrez SD (2013) Optimization of power train and control strategy of a hybrid electric vehicle for maximum energy economy, Ingeniería Investigación y Tecnología (Mexico), 14 (1) 65-80.
- Nunez M, Datta V, Molina-Cristobal A, Guenov M & Riaz A (2012) Enabling Exploration in the Conceptual Design and Optimisation of Complex Systems, Journal of Engineering Design, 23 (10-11) 852-875.
- Giacoman-Zarzar M, Ramirez-Mendoza R, Fleming PJ, Griffin I & Molina-Cristobal A (2008) Robust H∞ controller design for aircraft lateral dynamics using multi-objective optimization and genetic algorithms, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 41 (2) 8834-8839.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Chen X, Guenov MD, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2018) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off at early-stage aircraft computational design. In: 2018 AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Bile Y, Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal A (2018) Towards automating the sizing process in conceptual (airframe) systems architecting. In: 2018 AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Guenov MD, Molina-Cristóbal A, Voloshin V, Riaz A, Van Heerden ASJ, Sharma S, Cuiller C & Giese T (2016) Aircraft systems architecting - a functional-logical domain perspective. In: 16th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2016, Washington, 13-17 June 2016.
- Molina-Cristóbal A, Nunez M, Guenov M, Laudan T & Druot T (2014) Black-box model epistemic uncertainty at early design stage. An aircraft power-plant integration case study. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St Petersburg, 7-12 September 2014.
- Guenov MD, Nunez M, Molina-Cristóbal A, Datta VC & Riaz A (2014) Aircadia -an interactive tool for the composition and exploration of aircraft computational studies at early design stage. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St. Petersburg, 7 September 2014.
- Molina-Cristóbal A, Nunez M, Guenov MD, Laudan T & Druot T (2014) Black-box model epistemic uncertainty at early design stage. An aircraft power-plant integration case study. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St. Petersburg, 7 September 2014.
- Palmer PR, Molina-Cristobal A & Parks GT (2012) Inverse induction motor modelling of a submarine propulsion system. In: Electrical Systems for Aircraft, Railway and Ship Propulsion, Bologna, 16-18 October 2012.
- Palmer PR, Molina-Cristobal A & Parks GT (2011) Coherent design methodology using modelling, simulation and optimisation. In: 4th Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation Conference, GCMS 2011, The Hague, 27-30 June 2011.
- Molina-Cristobal A (2010) Simulating the RRS James Clark Ross as part of a multiobjective design process. In: 2010 IEEE Vehicle and Power Propulsion Conference, Lille, 1-3 September 2010.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Palmer PR & Skinner BA (2010) Multi-fidelity simulation modelling in optimization of a submarine propulsion system. In: 2010 IEEE Vehicle and Power Propulsion Conference, Lille, 1-3 September 2010.
- Chen X, Molina-Cristóbal A, Guenov MD, Datta VC & Riaz A (2018) A novel method for inverse uncertainty propagation. In: Advances in evolutionary and deterministic methods for design, optimization and control in engineering and sciences, Basel: Springer.
- Guenov MD, Nunez M, Molina-Cristóbal A, Sripawadkul V, Datta V & Riaz A (2014) Composition, management, and exploration of computational studies at early design stage. In: Computational intelligence in aerospace sciences, Reston,VA: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, p. 415-460.
- Molina-Cristobal A (2007) The development of a multi-threaded multi-objective Tabu search algorithm. In: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Berlin: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, p. 242-256.
- Cook R, Molina-Cristobal A, Parks G, Osornio-Correa C & Clarkson PJ (2007) Multi-objective optimisation of a hybrid electric vehicle: drive train and driving strategy. In: Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization. EMO 2007, Berlin: Springer.