Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
This course provides an understanding of the contribution of environmental evidence in a forensic investigation with a strong focus on forensic entomology and soil analysis and how analytical sciences can help the investigation of forensic ecology evidence types.
At a glance
- 23 - 27 Nov 2020
- Duration1 week
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,750 - Company (anyone being paid for by their company). Concessions available
Course structureLectures, laboratory practical’s and outdoor scene practical’s
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
• assess the value of environmental evidence in the investigation of crime
• sample and analyse entomological evidence to give an estimation of post-mortem interval
• analyse soil, evidence for provenance
• demonstrate how analytical sciences can be used in the detection and investigation of crimes against the environment
• introduction to environmental forensic science
• forensic palynology and botany
• forensic entomology
• forensic limnology (diatoms)
• forensic sedimentology, soil profiling and soil analysis
• case studies in forensic ecology.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
This short course will be taught at Masters standard as it is one of the modules that comprise the postgraduate Forensic Modular Masters Programme. Registering for this accredited short course and successfully passing the associated assessment will gain you 10 Cranfield credits. These could then be used to apply for a transfer towards a PgCert/PgDip or MSc in the Forensic Programme should you wish to complete one of these courses within 5 years.
AccreditationThe short courses are modules of the Forensic Modular Masters Programme, which is accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
£766 - Individual (anyone paying for themselves to attend).
£383 - Student (a current student from any university or a former student of Cranfield University).A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.