Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
This course provides an understanding of the contribution of environmental evidence in a forensic investigation with a strong focus on forensic entomology and soil analysis and how analytical sciences can help the investigation of forensic ecology evidence types.
At a glance
- 22 - 26 Nov 2021
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,750 Concessions available
Course structureLectures, laboratory practical’s and outdoor scene practical’s
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
• assess the value of environmental evidence in the investigation of crime
• sample and analyse entomological evidence to give an estimation of post-mortem interval
• analyse soil, evidence for provenance
• demonstrate how analytical sciences can be used in the detection and investigation of crimes against the environment
• introduction to environmental forensic science
• forensic palynology and botany
• forensic entomology
• forensic limnology (diatoms)
• forensic sedimentology, soil profiling and soil analysis
• case studies in forensic ecology.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
This course will be taught at Masters standard as it is one of the modules that comprise the postgraduate Forensic Modular Masters Programme. Registering for this Short Course for Credit and successfully passing the associated assessment will gain you 10 Cranfield credits. These could then be used to apply for a transfer towards a PgCert/PgDip or MSc in the Forensic Programme should you wish to complete one of these courses within 5 years.
AccreditationThe courses is a module of the Forensic Modular Masters Programme, which is accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
Sponsored by company - £1,750
Individual (anyone paying for themselves to attend) - £875
Alumni/Current Student - £435
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
How to apply
To apply for this course please use the online application form.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.