Seven ways to be a great mentee
Being a mentee should be an engaging and worthwhile experience. Here’s how to make the most of it and be a great mentee:
- Be honest – Be open and honest with your mentor about your reasons for joining the scheme, talk to them about your needs, goals and aspirations.
- Set your goals – Develop and own the action plan, set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely) goals to help you achieve your goals.
- Have a prepared agenda – Think about the content of each communication and meeting and let your mentor know the purpose or what you want out of it so they can provide the right advice and feedback.
- Take responsibility for your own development – Commit to tasks and objectives that you’ve agreed with your mentor.
- Be available - If you use a separate communication channel for your mentor communications check it on a regular basis, and maintain contact with your mentor at least once a month.
- Be open – Don’t be defensive with feedback and suggestions, your mentor is trying to help you with constructive advice and feedback.
- Develop trust – Be respectful and don’t ask for a job. Your mentor is a volunteer, someone who can share advice, experience and ideas with you.
Enjoy the experience!