Revised for 2019. Acquire a broader business perspective to deliver greater value.
As a functional or specialist manager transitioning from being an expert in their field into a wider general management role, this can not only be a big step, it can feel difficult, and can be risky, as well as being rewarding when done. This programme supports your transition from a specialist manager to a cross-functional leader providing you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to add value to the organisation.
At a glance
- 07 Sep 2020
- 08 Mar 2021
- 06 Sep 2021
- Duration8-10 hours virtual learning + 5 days residential + 5 days residential + review sessions after 6 and 12 months
- LocationCranfield Campus and Virtual Learning
Cost£14,660 + VAT
The programme modules run on the following dates:
||March 2021||September 2021|
||Opens 7 September 2020
||Opens 8 March 2021||Opens 6 September 2021|
|Module 2||5-9 October 2020||19-23 April 2021||11-15 October 2021|
|Module 3||9-13 November 2020
||14-18 June 2021||29 November - 3 December 2021|
|Review 1||February/March 2021 tbc
||13 September 2021||March 2022 tbc
|Virtual Review||September 2021 tbc||March 2022 tbc||September 2022 tbc|
What you will learn
You will leave the programme with:
- A greater ability to influence effectively across functions and at all levels.
- A clear understanding of the strategic issues facing your organisation’s key business functions and how to focus your activities to deliver value on these.
- The ability to work through others to really influence and action change.
- An integrated suite of leadership development tools and a 360 view so to identify and implement an effective plan to instil and lead behavioural and strategic change across the business.
To broaden your perspective on management and prepare you to step up into a wider role, the programme will focus on a range of organisational functions and the leadership skills they demand to deliver results.
In order to maximise your ability to influence without authority, this programme incorporates psychometric assessments to determine and maximise your cross functional leadership style.
You work to further enhance your range of organisational and interpersonal leadership skills and identify and execute a cross functional project that adds value across your organisation.
During the course of the programme, you will work with a group of fellow participants on a business simulation, assessing complex situations and making strategic decisions concerning a fictitious commercial business.
The programme is split into three modules, the first is delivered via our virtual learning environment which should take approximately 8-10 hours to complete. This is followed by two Cranfield residential modules which are 5 days each. You will benefit from coaching sessions following each module, plus a face to face review at six months and a virtual review at 12 months.
Benefits for your organisation:
- Enhanced cross-organisational collaboration.
- Improved strategic and operational alignment.
- Functionally-generated strategically aligned development initiatives.
- Delivering greater value to your team and the organisation as a whole.
- More effective strategic change implementation.
Who should attend
- Senior functional, specialist, technical or project managers who now need to increasingly work across teams or complex projects.
- Individuals recently, or who are about to be, appointed into more generalist management roles.
- Those who need to develop a wider business perspective to enhance their organisational value, impact and knowledge in order to lead strategic change and innovation.
- Participants come from a broad variety of organisations ranging from mid-size businesses to large corporations across all sectors.
"Since the programme I have been able to concentrate on other areas of the company and take time to develop clients, which has opened up new areas and sectors."
Nigel Hughes, Operations Director, G2Energy Ltd
"The programme was a unique opportunity to take a step back, think about different perspectives and evaluate how I operate now and in the future."
Greg Clements, Strategic Lead, Sport England
"In essence I found the programme inspirational, if you want to develop as a leader I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it."
Kevin Read, Site General Manager, Dairy Crest
Read more about past participants' experience of the General Management Programme.
Programme DirectorPaula Broadbent
Accommodation options and prices
Fees include tuition, course materials and full board accommodation for the duration of the programme.
Location and travel
Cranfield School of Management is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire.
The School is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Cranfield Management Development Centre
This course is provided by Cranfield Management Development Ltd a wholly owned subsidiary of Cranfield University