Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Real-Time Graphics introduces the principles, concepts and techniques behind modern 3D computer graphics solutions. It addresses the fundamentals behind their design and operation, including the use of scene graphs, graphics libraries and relevant standards.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
- Cost£1,925 Concessions available
Course structureThis 5-day course comprises a mixture of classroom instruction and hands-on practical work and examples in the Defence Academy Simulation and Synthetic Environment Laboratory (SSEL).
What you will learn
On completion you will understand:
- The basic techniques and processes underpinning modern 3D computer graphics,
- The range of techniques for representing and rendering 3D objects, scenes and virtual worlds,
- The issues in specifying, designing and implementing 3D graphics solutions,
- The role of both hardware and software in 3D graphics solutions,
- The selection and use of relevant content creation tools, graphics standards and software components and the workflow for integrating these into complete solutions.
- Principles and applications of computer graphics, both real-time and non real time,
- Mathematical foundations,
- Curve and surface modelling,
- Rendering techniques,
- Graphical programming standards, libraries and components,
- Real-time virtual environments,
- Computer graphics hardware and architectures,
- Commercial off the shelf tools (including games engines),
- 3D model building,
- Terrain generation.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
When taken as a Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the Defence and Security (Technology) MSc or Defence Simulation and Modelling MSc.
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attend
Building on a common core of basic principles, the course is streamed to address two different user communities:
- those designing and/or implementing scientific visualisation solutions,
- those seeking to be educated customers of defence real-time interactive virtual environments, typically being involved in acquiring, specifying, managing or operating such solutions.
John Hoggard - Module Leader
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
There are limited places on these modules. You may not receive an offer until places have been confirmed, usually 1 to 2 weeks before the start date.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.