Contact Jonathan Searle
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785852
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
BackgroundJonathan Searle is an honours graduate of the University of Manchester, where he studied Botany and Geography. He is currently the Head of the Modelling and Simulation Group within the Centre for Simulation and Analytics of the Department of Informatics and Systems Engineering of Cranfield University at Shrivenham, which provides the academic component of what is now known as the UK MoD’s Defence Academy - College of Management and Technology (DA-CMT).
In 1979 he joined what was then the Royal Military College of Science (RMCS) at Shrivenham, as a Government research scientist working mainly in research and development projects related to urban warfare and FIBUA/MOUT. In 1987 for example he led the team which was responsible for the design, development and implementation of the first generation URBAT (Urban Battle Trainer) wargame which was in service with the British Army between 1991 and 2002.
Since the late 1980’s, his initial research and development activities have given way to an increasing set of academic responsibilities associated with the College’s various masters programmes, He is the Course Director of the Postgraduate programme that includes Defence Modelling and Simulation and is also Module Leader for several of the elements within that programme. He regularly supervises postgraduate research dissertations in Modelling and Simulation.
- Head of Modelling & Simulation Group
- Head of SSEL (Simulation & Synthetic Environment Laboratory)
- Course Director AMOR Postgraduate Programme (includes: Defence Simulation and Modelling, Military Operational Research, Scientific Computation)
- Course Leader : Simulation Employment Training
- Chair MOD SE Tower CGF SIG (2009-2013)
- Memberships: SISO, ETSA, MOD pDSC Steering Group
- MOD CSA Team Commendation 2013 for contribution to Simulation.
- Teaching activities have included international delivery of Modelling & Simulation courses in Australia, India, USA and for NATO around Europe (Sweden, Romania, Turkey, Slovenia, Greece, Finland)
- Invited by NATO to deliver pan-Europe Lecture Series (2005-2007)
- “Distributed Virtual Training”, for Lockheed Martin UK, 2007
- “SeBA Directed Learning” (with QinetiQ and Vantaggio), for UK MoD, 2005
- Training Systems lead (under MOD FATS) for Integrated Modelling and Simulation Support Service for Acquisition (IMSSA) programme, to QinetiQ for UK MOD, 2008.
- “Deployable Air Mission Rehearsal Systems”, for UK MoD, 2008-2010
- “Evaluation of Simulation Interoperability Frameworks”, for UK MoD, 2009-2011
- “Use of Simulation for Education in the Classroom” for UK MOD and DSTL, 2010
- URD/SRD Development work for Defence Virtual Simulation, for MOD DE&S TSSP, 2013.
- Searle JR, Bathe MR, Hoggard JM & Winston-Davis M (2009) Education in and with Defence Modelling and Simulation - experiences and challenges. In: Defence Academies and Colleges 2009 International Conference. Network Centric Learning: Towards Authentic ePractices, Stellenbosch, 25 March 2009.