Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
Jonathan Searle is a Senior Lecturer and Head of the Modelling & Simulation Group in the Centre for Simulation and Analytics for Cranfield University CDS at the Defence Academy of the UK at Shrivenham.
He is on the Education and Scholarship pathway.
He is the Course Director responsible for delivery of Modelling and Simulation courses and heads up the Simulation and Synthetic Environment Laboratory (SSEL), now in its 25th year of operation supporting educational activity at Shrivenham.
He studied at the University of Manchester from 1976 to 1979, obtaining an Upper Second Class Joint Honours degree in Botany and Geography.
Since then, with over 40 years experience now in the Defence Modelling and Simulation sector, Jonathan’s teaching and scholarship interests include: military simulation and training, wargaming, computer generated forces, real-time interactive 3D graphics, terrain generation, and distributed simulation. He supervises Masters Course projects in these areas.
He is also a member of the UK MOD DMaSC (Defence Modelling and Simulation Coherence) Technical Authority and part of the UK MOD Defence Simulation Centre at Shrivenham.
He has led and contributed to numerous UK MoD activities and projects and in 2013 he received a UK MoD Chief Scientific Adviser’s Team Commendation for contributions to Defence M&S Education.
- Head of Modelling & Simulation Group
- Head of SSEL (Simulation & Synthetic Environment Laboratory)
- Course Director AMOR Postgraduate Programme (includes: Defence Simulation and Modelling, Military Operational Research)
- Course Leader : Simulation Employment Training
- Memberships: SISO, ETSA
- MOD CSA Team Commendation 2013 for contribution to Simulation.
- Teaching activities have included international delivery of Modelling & Simulation courses in Australia, India, USA and for NATO around Europe (Sweden, Romania, Turkey, Slovenia, Greece, Finland)
- Member of MOD Defence Modelling and Simulation Coherence (DMaSC) Technical Authority
- SME/Technical support to MOD DMaSC and Defence Simulation Centre (DSC)
- Invited by NATO to deliver pan-Europe Lecture Series (2005-2007)
- “Distributed Virtual Training”, for Lockheed Martin UK, 2007
- “SeBA Directed Learning” (with QinetiQ and Vantaggio), for UK MoD, 2005
- Training Systems lead (under MOD FATS) for Integrated Modelling and Simulation Support Service for Acquisition (IMSSA) programme, to QinetiQ for UK MOD, 2008.
- “Deployable Air Mission Rehearsal Systems”, for UK MoD, 2008-2010
- “Evaluation of Simulation Interoperability Frameworks”, for UK MoD, 2009-2011
- “Use of Simulation for Education in the Classroom” for UK MOD and DSTL, 2010
- URD/SRD Development work for Defence Virtual Simulation, for MOD DE&S TSSP, 2013.
- MOD DMaSC and DSC (to present date)
- Searle JR, Bathe MR, Hoggard JM & Winston-Davis M (2009) Education in and with Defence Modelling and Simulation - experiences and challenges. In: Defence Academies and Colleges 2009 International Conference. Network Centric Learning: Towards Authentic ePractices, Stellenbosch, 25 March 2009.