Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
From 1992 to 1993, John was an Assistant Scientific Officer in the Detector Group, ISIS, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. He then joined DERA/Dstl as a Higher Scientific Officer (Level 5) specialising in real-time missile and infrared countermeasures simulation.
John has an MSc in Defence Simulation and Modelling from Cranfield University and a BSc (Joint Honors) in Physics and Computing from Sunderland University.
Current activitiesJohn's teaching duties include leading:
- MSc module Foundations of Modelling and Simulation
- MSc module Simulation and Synthetic Environments
- Short course Introduction to Defence Simulation.
- 3D graphic generation techniques including raster, ray-tracing and hybrid techniques
- artificial intelligence in gaming including People in Contemporary Operating Environments(PeCOE)
- application of commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) technology in defence.
- Searle JR, Bathe MR, Hoggard JM & Winston-Davis M (2009) Education in and with Defence Modelling and Simulation - experiences and challenges. In: Defence Academies and Colleges 2009 International Conference. Network Centric Learning: Towards Authentic ePractices, Stellenbosch, 25 March 2009.
- Hoggard J (2009) Serious Games - Are we Over Doing the Hype?.