We have the same minimum entry requirements for most of our taught and research programmes. Here we explain those requirements and the range of assistance available to help you meet them.
Some courses may have additional entry requirements, so please check the specific course you are interested in before submitting your application. If you are an international student you may need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency when you receive an offer to study with us.
Minimum entry requirements
- A UK first or second class honours degree in a relevant subject area; or
- An equivalent international qualification (find out whether your qualification meets our requirements by visiting our International Student page); or
- Relevant work experience in combination with a degree below second class honours.
If you do not meet our formal entry requirements, but still feel you can demonstrate the ability to complete the course successfully, you may still be accepted onto a course. Each application will be considered on its merits.
English language requirements
To study for a formal award at Cranfield you will need to demonstrate that you can communicate effectively in English in an academic environment. You can meet this requirement in the following ways:
- If you have previously obtained a higher education level qualification from a UK university and have been taught and assessed in English (note that international applicants applying for Master’s courses in Cranfield’s School of Management are required to have studied in the UK for the full duration of the course).
- If you are a national of or have a obtained a higher education level qualification from a country on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) list of majority English speaking countries:
Antigua and Barbuda Ireland Australia Jamaica The Bahamas Malta Barbados New Zealand Belize St Kitts and Nevis Canada* St Lucia Dominica St Vincent and the Grenadines Grenada Trinidad and Tobago Guyana United States of America
*You will usually be required take an English test if your studies were not taught and assessed in English.
- If you have been continuously employed in the UK for a minimum of five years immediately prior to the start of the course, providing you are able to supply a reference from your current employer which explicitly confirms you are able to communicate effectively in English.
- By providing a satisfactory English test certificate that meets the requirement of the course you have applied for.
Approved English tests
The tests we accept and the University minimum requirements are detailed below. Some courses require a higher test score, please check the course page for details.
- IELTS Academic - 6.5 overall.
- TOEFL iBT - 92 total.
- PTE Academic - 65 overall.
- Cambridge Assessment English tests - Cambridge English Scale score of 180.
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English III - Pass overall.
English test notes:
- We verify all test scores with the test providers.
- We are only able to accept tests taken within two years of the course start date.
- All elements of the test results must be demonstrated in one test, we are unable to accept a combination of scores across two or more tests.
- In extremely rare circumstances we may reject a test score if one element of the test has a very low score. This would only occur if we believed this would impact on your ability to study with us or if the score did not meet UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements to study in the UK.
What can I do if I don't meet the English language requirement for my chosen course?
If you have taken a test but not reached the required score you may be able to attend one of our Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses:
Some Cranfield University courses are delivered at the UK Defence Academy in Shrivenham, which is a Ministry of Defence (MoD) site. All applicants to courses that are wholly or partially delivered at Shrivenham must complete the UK Government’s Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) prior to registration, or must already hold a security clearance to this level or higher.
Your application and BPSS clearance application will be shared during the application process with the MoD, which has ultimate discretion over admission to the Shrivenham site. This information will be returned by the MoD to Cranfield University after checks are completed and copies will not be retained by the MoD. BPSS checks may involve confirmation of the following:
- Identity (such as photo ID),
- Nationality and immigration status,
- Employment/academic history (covering the past three years),
- Criminal record (unspent convictions only).
Additionally, applicants are required to give a reasonable account of any significant periods of time spent abroad (six months or more in the past three years).
This may be revised from time to time dependent on national security requirements. For more details, please consult the BPSS guidance. It will take additional time to process your BPSS clearance application once you have completed your course application.
If you are not able access the Shrivenham site because of a failure to meet security clearance requirements will result in a withdrawal of your offer, or, if already registered, a termination of registration.
Degree preparation at Kaplan International College London
International students who do not meet the direct entry requirements may qualify for degree preparation with Kaplan International College, London.
Pre-Master's - successful completion of a Pre-Master's pathway guarantees your acceptance onto your chosen master's course.
Pre-Doctorate - provides specialist modules that equip students with a broad set of academic and research skills needed for a doctoral degree.