Equip yourself to become a Non-Executive Director
Who is this for
Current and aspiring non-executive directors in businesses, not-for-profits and the public sector.
What you will get
- Firsthand experience and advice from world-leading Cranfield faculty, board experts, authors and executive search professionals.
- Network of high-profile peer executives and contributing experts to support you in your future NED career.
- Comprehensive understanding of the role of a non-executive director.
- Structured knowledge of legal, regulatory and personal responsibilities and current governance guidelines.
- Practical understanding of how to secure a non-executive position.
- Greater confidence in pursuing a non-executive placement and creating your ‘portfolio career’.
- Clarity about the key attributes of an effective NED and how you can develop these skills.
- Contextual awareness of how to apply your knowledge and skills to board room challenges in different organisations.
This Programme gives you the confidence to know that you are prepared, you know where to go for additional resources, and you’ve got a wider network that you can reach out to.
Cathy Armor, Non-Executive Director, Cambridge University Press
What I really liked about the Programme is the practicality. There was less theory, more storytelling, and practical, scenario-based interventions.
Dr Salah Al-Eissa, Director, Tharwah
Other schools and institutions teach you models and business frameworks, at Cranfield it’s the person who wrote the book teaching you.
Richard Brooks, CEO, K-International Plc
This course is a must for aspiring NEDs, the programme is perceived to be more cutting edge and practical than others. Cranfield is at the forefront of research in the diversity space, which is of great interest to me as a female of minority ethnic background. The interaction with the speakers and other attendees was great, we had the ability to network in a natural and effortless way and all got a chance for our voice to be heard. I learnt a great deal from not only the speakers but also the other attendees and their experiences.
Gayani Fernando, Professional Development Expert, Corndel
Programme information – Face-to-face
- 13 - 14 Mar 2024
- 02 - 03 Oct 2024
- DurationNetworking dinner + 2 days residential
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£3,400 + VAT Concessions available
|March 2024 Programme||October 2024 Programme|
|Welcome dinner||12 March 2024 (19:30 TBC)||01 October 2024 (19:30 TBC)|
|Taught sessions||13-14 March 2024||02-03 October 2024|
- Welcome, orientation of the programme and personal introductions with peers and faculty.
- Explore your legal responsibilities as a non-executive director.
- Understand finance in the boardroom.
- Discover how to find non-executive positions.
- Good governance - what is it and how do we get there?
- Board evaluation - Dealing with the top team dynamics.
- Dinner with an inspirational guest speaker.
- Programme launch and networking dinner with peers and faculty.
- Understand the role of the chair, succession and transition of board members.
- Compare non-executive roles in different types of organisations, including the not-for-profit sector.
- How to work effectively with executive search firms and optimise your NED CV.
- Explore a case study presented by Patrick Dunne, author of Boards, and discuss the issues which arise and the options for resolution.
- Discuss your conclusions from the programme.
What you will experience
This programme is a practical two day session, delivered by renowned Cranfield faculty and world-leading board experts, helping senior executives become non-executive directors across the UK from different sectors. It is delivered by key topic discussions, reviews, interactive sessions and a networking dinner with an inspirational guest speaker.
Unique and practical programme features
- Increase your profile and develop your portfolio career through peer networking.
- Cranfield renowned faculty and world-leading board experts – draw on their research, thought leadership and global perspective on key issues to equip you with powerful insights.
- Peer to peer learning and network of high-profile peer executives, supporting each other in your NED careers.
20% discount (tuition fee only) for Cranfield School of Management Alumni who have attended one of our eligible leadership programmes.
Accommodation options and prices
Tuition, course materials, full board accommodation and lifelong access to Alumni Membership benefits are included in the price of this course.
Location and travel
Cranfield School of Management is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire.
The School is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Cranfield Management Development Centre
This course is provided by Cranfield Management Development Ltd a wholly owned subsidiary of Cranfield University