Areas of expertise
- Electric Power Machines
- Energy and the Environment
- Energy Asset Management
- Energy Policy & Regulation
- Environmental Impacts
- Renewable Energy
Prof Ozkan is an interdisciplinary energy economist and the head of Centre for Energy Systems and Strategy
She then worked as a post doctoral researcher at Regional Economics Applications Laboratory at UIUC. Between 2005 and 2014, she worked as a Senior Research Fellow at Policy Studies Institute at University of Westminster where she led a number of research projects.
She is a member of British Institute of Energy Economics.
I'm interested in supervising PhD students with a research interest in:
- Modelling and analysis of energy transitions at different scales (from households to local to national)
- Development of socio-technical frameworks to inform energy planning and policy
- Development of social and spatial frameworks to study energy transitions and innovation
- Economics of and distributional impacts of energy transition (ie energy justice)
Nazmiye's main research interests include energy systems analysis; integration of environment, economy and energy models; social construction of smart grids across space and time as well as its implications for policy. With a background in urban and regional planning, she is interested in understanding the interactions between social, economic, environmental and technological systems, from household up to network and city level.
Nazmiye worked on various projects funded by the UK Government, UK research councils and the EU FP7 programmes. She acted as a peer reviewer for the assessment of various energy models for the EU, New Zealand Government and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. She was on secondment to DECC in 2011 to work on the quantitative analysis of different scenarios for The Carbon Plan: Delivering our Low Carbon Future.
Protecting Minority Ethnic Communities Online, UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (PRIME, EP/W032082/1, CoI, £1.9M), 2022-2025.
Multi-Actor Governance framework for the electrifICation of airports (MAGIC), UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council/ DTE Network+ (PI, £50K), 2022-2023.
Urban development, energy
infrastructure and sustainable mobility, UK Economic and Social Research
Council (UDESMO, ES/W01064X/1, PI, £50K), 2022-2023.
DEmonstration of concentrated SOLar power coupled wIth advaNced desAlinaTion system in the gulf regION (DESOLINATION), European Commission Horizon 2020 Programme (Co-I: €9.995M), 2021-2025.
Low carbon energy demand scenarios for aviation (LOCESA), DfT/ Connected Places Catapult (PI, £50,000), 2021-2022.
Mobility as a service: MAnaging Cybersecurity Risks across Consumers, Organisations and Sectors (MACRO), EPSRC (PI, £550,000), 2021-2023.
Management of Disaster Risk and Societal Resilience (MADIS – replacing TOCO_DR), Belmont Forum (Co-I, €1.1M), 2020-2023.
South Africa energy infrastructure planning for rural urbanisation based on optimal peer-to-peer energy sharing (Royal Academy of Engineering, 2020-2022, CoI, £27,200).
Advanced grid services provided by optimised EV community and fleet charging (Innovate UK, 2020-2021, CoI, £60,000)
Peer-to-peer energy trading in a community microgrid (Higher Education Innovation Fund, 2019-2020)
‘Just’ Energy Transitions within SEMLEP Region (JET-SEMLEP) (Higher Education Innovation Fund, 2019-2021)
Sustainable energy transitions in South Africa: socio-economic aspects (Global Challenges Research Fund, 2019-2020, PI: £19,921)
Solving Water Issues for Concentrated Solar Thermal Power Plants (SOLWATT), European Commission Horizon 2020 Programme (Co-I: €10.8M), 2018-2022.
Harmonising and UPgrading GREENhouse gas removal consequential Life Cycle Assessment (UP-green-LCA), UK Natural Environment Research Council (NE/P019668/1, Co-I: £300K), 2017-2020.
New Methods and Data for Energy Research (NEMDER), UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/R002320/1, PI: £80K), 2017-2018.
Optimising Energy Management in Industry (OPTEMIN), UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/P004636/1, Co-I: £2M), 2016-2021.
Smarter Regulation of Waste in Europe, Scottish Environment Protection Agency (PI: £33K), 2016.
Consumer preferences for smart homes: a comparative study between the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, E.ON International Research Initiative 2012, (PI: €200K), 2012-2013.
Scenarios for the development of smart grids in the UK, UK Energy Research Centre/Natural Environment Research Council (NE/J005975/1, PI: £625K), 2011-2014.
Analysing Transition planning and Systemic Energy Planning Tools for the implementation of the Energy Technology Information System (ATEsT), European Commission Framework Prog., (Co-I: €895K), 2009- 2012.
Carbon Calculations over the Life Cycle of
Industrial Activities, UK Engineering Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/F003501/1,
Co-I: £1.2M), 2008-2010.
Current PhD students:
Laura Antonia Faerber - Rethinking the organisational structure of energy utilities through innovation
Joel Gordon - Decarbonisation of gas networks via hydrogen: socially acceptable and fair strategies
Zahrau Kasim Yahaya - Domestic energy supply use and women empowerment in Nigeria: A case for renewable energy
Zara Abba - Managing investment risks in the development of decentralised renewable energy systems
Yiming Xu- Development of Peer-to-peer Energy Trading Platform and Pricing Algorithm
Mirac Celik - Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading with Community-Level Virtual Storage Units
- Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)
- Department for Transport (DfT)
- Committee on Climate Change
- European Commission
- UK Energy Research Centre
- E.ON SE
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- East West Railway Company
Articles In Journals
- Gordon JA, Balta-Ozkan N & Nabavi SA (2022) Beyond the triangle of renewable energy acceptance: the five dimensions of domestic hydrogen acceptance, Applied Energy, 324 (October) Article No. 119715.
- Gordon JA, Balta-Ozkan N & Nabavi SA (2022) Homes of the future: unpacking public perceptions to power the domestic hydrogen transition, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 164 (August) Article No. 112481.
- Alderete Peralta A, Balta-Ozkan N & Longhurst P (2022) Spatio-temporal modelling of solar photovoltaic adoption: an integrated neural networks and agent-based modelling approach, Applied Energy, 305 (January) Article No. 117949.
- Abba ZY, Balta-Ozkan N & Hart P (2022) A holistic risk management framework for renewable energy investments, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 160 (May) Article No. 112305.
- Hossain MJ, Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Asfand F, Saadon S & Imran M (2021) Design optimization of supercritical carbon dioxide (s-CO2) cycles for waste heat recovery from marine engines, Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 143 (12) Article No. 120901.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Yildirim J, Connor PM, Truckell I & Hart P (2021) Energy transition at local level: analyzing the role of peer effects and socio-economic factors on UK solar photovoltaic deployment, Energy Policy, 148 (January) Article No. 112004. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13160030
- Rayit NS, Chowdhury JI & Balta-Ozkan N (2021) Techno-economic optimisation of battery storage for grid-level energy services using curtailed energy from wind, Journal of Energy Storage, 39 (July) Article No. 102641.
- Parent PA, Mirzania P, Balta-Ozkan N & King P (2021) Post subsidy conditions: evaluating the techno-economic performance of concentrating solar power in Spain, Solar Energy, 218 (April) 571-586.
- Wang S, Balta-Ozkan N, Yildirim J, Chen F & Wang Y (2021) Can compulsory ecological compensation for land damaged by mining activities mitigate CO2 emissions in China?, Frontiers in Environmental Science, 9 Article No. 778937.
- Gil GO, Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Hu Y, Varga L & Hart P (2021) Optimising renewable energy integration in new housing developments with low carbon technologies, Renewable Energy, 169 (May) 527-540. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.13550156.v1
- Alqahtani N & Balta-Ozkan N (2021) Assessment of rooftop solar power generation to meet residential loads in the city of Neom, Saudi Arabia, Energies, 14 (13) Article No. 3805.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Watson T, Connor PM, Axon CJ, Whitmarsh L, Spence A & Baker PE (2020) FAR out? An examination of converging, diverging and intersecting smart grid futures in the United Kingdom, Energy Research and Social Science, 70 (December) Article No. 101675.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Goglio P, Hu Y, Varga L & McCabe L (2020) Techno-environmental analysis of battery storage for grid level energy services, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 131 (October) Article No. 110018.
- Mirzania P, Balta-Ozkan N & Marais L (2020) One technology, two pathways? Strategic Niche Management and the diverging diffusion of concentrated solar power in South Africa and the United States, Energy Research and Social Science, 69 (November) Article No. 101729.
- Mirzania P, Ford A & Ozkan N (2020) An innovative viable model for community-owned solar PV projects without FIT: comprehensive techno-economic assessment, Energy Policy, 146 (November) Article No. 111727.
- Goglio P, Williams AG, Balta-Ozkan N, Harris NRP, Williamson P, Huisingh D, Zhang Z & Tavoni M (2020) Advances and challenges of life cycle assessment (LCA) of greenhouse gas removal technologies to fight climate changes, Journal of Cleaner Production, 244 (January) Article No. 118896.
- Karim M, Almond H, Sansom C, Balta-Ozkan N, Mirzania P & King P (2020) The effect of concentrated solar power plants on the socio-economic and livelihood assets of the local community and environment, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2303 Article No. 150010.
- Markusson N, Balta-Ozkan N, Chilvers J, Healey P, Reiner D & McLaren D (2020) Social science sequestered, Frontiers in Climate, 2 Article No. 2.
- Chowdhury JI, Thornhill D, Soulatiantork P, Hu Y, Balta-Ozkan N, Varga L & Nguyen BK (2019) Control of supercritical organic Rankine cycle based waste heat recovery system using conventional and fuzzy self-tuned PID controllers, International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, 17 (11) 2969-2981.
- Hu Y, Tan CK, Niska J, Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkand N, Varga L, Roach PA & Wang C (2019) Modelling and simulation of steel reheating processes under oxy-fuel combustion conditions – Technical and environmental perspectives, Energy, 185 (October) 730-743.
- Faerber LA, Balta-Ozkan N & Connor PM (2018) Innovative network pricing to support the transition to a smart grid in a low-carbon economy, Energy Policy, 116 (May) 210-219.
- Chowdhury JI, Hu Y, Haltas I, Balta-Ozkan N, Matthew G & Varga L (2018) Reducing industrial energy demand in the UK: A review of energy efficiency technologies and energy saving potential in selected sectors, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 94 (October) 1153-1178.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Le Gallo J (2018) Spatial variation in energy attitudes and perceptions: evidence from Europe, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 81 (Part 2, January) 2160-2180.
- Chowdhury JI, Nguyen BK, Thornhill D, Hu Y, Soulatiantork P, Balta-Ozkan N & Varga L (2018) Fuzzy nonlinear dynamic evaporator model in supercritical organic Rankine cycle waste heat recovery systems, Energies, 11 (4) Article No. 901.
- Connor PM, Axon CJ, Xenias D & Balta-Ozkan N (2018) Sources of risk and uncertainty in UK smart grid deployment: An expert stakeholder analysis, Energy, 161 (October) 1-9.
- Beitzen-Heineke EF, Balta-Ozkan N & Reefke H (2017) The prospects of zero-packaging grocery stores to improve the social and environmental impacts of the food supply chain, Journal of Cleaner Production, 140 (Part 3) 1528-1541.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Yildirim J & Connor P (2015) Regional distribution of photovoltaic deployment in the UK and its determinants: A spatial econometric approach, Energy Economics, 51 (September) 417-429.
- Xenias D, Axon CJ, Whitmarsh L, Connor PM, Balta-Ozkan N & Spence A (2015) UK smart grid development: An expert assessment of the benefits, pitfalls and functions, Renewable Energy, 81 (September) 89-102.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Watson T & Mocca E (2015) Spatially uneven development and low carbon transitions: Insights from urban and regional planning, Energy Policy, 85 (October) 500-510.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Amerighi O & Boteler B (2014) A comparison of consumer perceptions towards smart homes in the UK, Germany and Italy: reflections for policy and future research, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 26 (10) 1176-1195.
- Connor PM, Baker PE, Xenias D, Balta-Ozkan N, Axon CJ & Cipcigan L (2014) Policy and regulation for smart grids in the United Kingdom, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 40 269-286.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Boteler B & Amerighi O (2014) European smart home market development: Public views on technical and economic aspects across the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, Energy Research and Social Science, 3 65-77.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Davidson R, Bicket M & Whitmarsh L (2013) The development of smart homes market in the UK, Energy, 60 361-372.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Davidson R, Bicket M & Whitmarsh L (2013) Social barriers to the adoption of smart homes, Energy Policy, 63 363-374.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Baldwin E (2013) Spatial development of hydrogen economy in a low-carbon UK energy system, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38 (3) 1209-1224.
- Strachan N, Balta-Ozkan N, Joffe D, McGeevor K & Hughes N (2009) Soft-linking energy systems and GIS models to investigate spatial hydrogen infrastructure development in a low-carbon UK energy system, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34 (2) 642-657.
- Donaghy KP, Balta-Ozkan N & Hewings GJD (2007) Modeling unexpected events in temporally disaggregated econometric input output models of regional economies, Economic Systems Research, 19 (2) 125-145.
- Adedokun SO, Luo Z, Luk P, Balta-Ozkan N, Khan MF & Zhang X (2022) Ml self-sufficient sustainable energy resiliency management system: outage forecasting, classification and restoration with maintenance indicators for all types of power outages. In: 2022 IEEE Design Methodologies Conference (DMC), Bath, 1 September - 2 February 2022.
- Mirzania P, Balta-Ozkan N & Marais L (2021) Spatial divergence of South Africa’s energy transition and its implications for energy justice. In: Climate Compatible Growth, Online, 1 September 2021.
- Chowdhury JI, Asfand F, Hu Y, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L & Patchigolla K. (2019) Waste heat recovery potential from industrial bakery ovens using thermodynamic power cycles. In: 32nd International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems (ECOS), Wroclaw, 23-28 June 2019.
- Hu Y, Chowdhury JI, Katsaros G, Tan CK, Balta-Ozkan N, Varga L, Tassou S & Wang C (2019) Feasibility study of biomass gasification integrated with reheating furnaces in steelmaking process. In: 3rd Joint International Conference on Energy, Ecology and Environment and Electrical Intelligent Vehicles (ICEEE 2019/ICEIV 2019), Stavanger, 23-27 July 2019.
- Mirzania P, Balta-Ozkan N & Ford A (2019) For Post-Subsidy Solar PV Uptake in the UK: Techno-Economic Assessment of Integrating Solar PV and Battery Storage. In: International Conference on Sustainable Materials and Energy Technologies (ICSMET 2019), Coventry, 12-13 September 2019.
- Makanga J, Mirzania P & Balta-Ozkan N (2019) Concentrated Solar Power in South Africa: A Techno-Economic Assessment. In: International Conference on Sustainable Materials and Energy Technologies (ICSMET 2019), Coventry, 12-13 September 2019.
- Wang P, Wang C, Hu Y, Wang W, Li J, Varga L, Chowdhury JI & Balta-Ozkan N (2018) Optimal scheduling of multi-carrier energy networks considering liquid air energy storage. In: 2018 IEEE 2nd Conference on Energy Internet and Energy System Integration (EI2), Beijing, 20-22 October 2018.
- Hu Y, Tan CK, Niska J, Chowdhury JI, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L, Roach PA & Wang C (2018) Thermal performance analysis of flameless oxy-fuel combustion trials on a reheating furnace using zone method-based models. In: 2018 International Conference on Energy, Ecology and Environment (ICEEE 2018), Melbourne, 21-25 November 2018.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Goglio P, Hu Y, Varga L & McCabe L (2018) Potentials of load-shifting with renewable energy storage: An environmental and economic assessment for the UK. In: 36th USAEE/IAEE North America Conference, "Evolving Energy Realities: Adapting to What's Next", Washington, DC, 23-26 September 2018.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Hu Y & Varga L (2018) Factors affecting the adoption of energy efficiency in heat intensive industries: a case study of UK commercial bakeries. In: Energy Systems Conference 2018, London, 19-20 June 2018.
- Hu Y, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L & Chowdhury JI (2018) Contemporary enlightenment on energy efficiency in industry. In: Energy Systems Conference 2018, London, 19-20 June 2018.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Strachan N (2010) Hydrogen system modelling. In: Hydrogen Energy: Economic and Social Challenges. Ekins, Paul (ed.), London, p. 125-151.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Donaghy KP & Wymer CR (2007) Effects of Trade on Emissions in an Enlarged European Union: Some Comparative Dynamics Analyses with an Empirically Based Endogenous Growth Model. In: Globalization and Regional Economic Modeling, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, p. 353-392.