Areas of expertise
- Food Quality
- Food Safety
- Plants and microbes
Dr Zoltan Kevei has expertise in the field of plant-microbe interactions (Medicago-Rhizobium), cell cycle regulations and developmental epigenetics of the model plant, Arabidopsis and, since joining Cranfield, in tomato genetics.
Throughout his academic carrier he have gained a solid and broad scientific and technical training in general plant molecular biology. His diverse publication record shows his wide interest in plant research.
Z. Kevei is currently working on tomato root-stock mutants, he try to find the causative gene(s) behind important traits. During the genetic mapping of these interesting genes he uses the latest molecular techniques and methods available or recently installed in the Agrifood laboratories, glasshouses.
Articles In Journals
- González-Arcos M, de Noronha Fonseca ME, Zandonadi DB, Peres LE, Arruabarrena A, Ferreira DS, Kevei Z, Mohareb F, Thompson AJ & Boiteux LS (2019) A loss-of-function allele of a TAC1-like gene (SlTAC1) located on tomato chromosome 10 is a candidate for the Erectoid leaf (Erl) mutation, Euphytica, 215 (May) Article No. 95.
- Silva Ferreira D, Kevei Z, Kurowski T, de Noronha Fonseca ME, Mohareb F, Boiteux LS & Thompson A (2018) BIFURCATE FLOWER TRUSS: a novel locus controlling inflorescence branching in tomato contains a defective MAP kinase gene, Journal of Experimental Botany, 69 (10) 2581-2593. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4721560
- Ferrández-Ayela A, Sánchez-García AB, Martínez-Andújar C, Kevei Z, Gifford ML, Thompson AJ, Pérez-Alfocea F & Pérez-Pérez JM (2016) Identification of novel stress-responsive biomarkers from gene expression datasets in tomato roots, Functional Plant Biology, 43 (8) 783-796.
- Kevei Z, King RC, Mohareb F, Sergeant MJ, Awan SZ & Thompson AJ (2015) Resequencing at ≥ 40-fold depth of the parental genomes of a Solanum lycopersicum × S. pimpinellifolium recombinant inbred line population and characterisation of frame-shift InDels that are highly likely to perturb protein function, G3, 5 (5) 971-981.
- Rigal M, Kevei Z, Pélissier T & Mathieu O. (2012) DNA methylation in an intron of the IBM1 histone demethylase gene stabilizes chromatin modification patterns, EMBO Journal, 31 (13) 2981-2993.
- Kevei Z, Baloban M, da Ines O, Tiricz H, Kroll A, Regulski K, Mergaert P & Kondorosi E. (2011) Conserved CDC20 cell cycle functions are carried out by two of the five isoforms in arabidopsis thaliana, PLoS ONE, 6 (6).
- Van De Velde W, Zehirov G, Szatmari A, Debreczeny M, Ishihara H, Kevei Z, Farkas A, Mikulass K, Nagy A, Tiricz H, Satiat-Jeunemaître B, Alunni B, Bourge M, Kucho K, Abe M, Kereszt A, Maroti G, Uchiumi T, Kondorosi E, Mergaert P & Mergaert P. (2010) Plant peptides govern terminal differentiation of bacteria in symbiosis, Science (AAAS), 327 (5969) 1122-1126.
- Kevei Z, Lougnon G, Mergaert P, Horváth G, Kereszt A, Jayaraman D, Zaman N, Marcel F, Regulski K, Kiss G, Kondorosi A, Endre G, Kondorosi E & Ané J. (2007) 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase1 interacts with NORK and is crucial for nodulation in Medicago truncatula, Plant Cell, 19 (12) 3974-3989.
- Alunni B, Kevei Z, Redondo-Nieto M, Kondorosi A, Mergaert P & Kondorosi E. (2007) Genomic organization and evolutionary insights on GRP and NCR genes, two large nodule-specific gene families in Medicago truncatula, Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 20 (9) 1138-1148.
- González-Sama A, De La Peña T, Kevei Z, Mergaert P, Lucas M, De Felipe M, Kondorosi E & Pueyo J. (2006) Nuclear DNA endoreduplication and expression of the mitotic inhibitor Ccs52 associated to determinate and lupinoid nodule organogenesis, Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 19 (2) 173-180.
- Perhald A, Endre G, Kevei Z, Kiss G & Kereszt A. (2006) Strategies to obtain stable transgenic plants from non-embryogenic lines: Complementation of the nn1 mutation of the NORK gene in Medicago sativa MN1008, Plant Cell Reports, 25 (8) 799-806.
- Fülöp K, Tarayre S, Kelemen Z, Horváth G, Kevei Z, Nikovics K, Bakó L, Brown S, Kondorosi A & Kondorosi E. (2005) Arabidopsis anaphase-promoting complexes: Multiple activators and wide range of substrates might keep APC perpetually busy, Cell Cycle, 4 (8) 1084-1092.
- Kevei Z, Seres A, Kereszt A, Kaló P, Kiss P, Tóth G, Endre G & Kiss G. (2005) Significant microsynteny with new evolutionary highlights is detected between Arabidopsis and legume model plants despite the lack of macrosynteny, Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 274 (6) 644-657.
- Kaló P, Seres A, Taylor S, Jakab J, Kevei Z, Kereszt A, Endre G, Ellis T & Kiss G. (2004) Comparative mapping between Medicago sativa and Pisum sativum, Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 272 (3) 235-246.
- Vinardell J, Fedorova E, Cebolla A, Kevei Z, Horvath G, Kelemen Z, Tarayre S, Roudier F, Mergaert P, Kondorosi A & Kondorosi E. (2003) Endoreduplication mediated by the anaphase-promoting complex activator CCS52A is required for symbiotic cell differentiation in Medicago truncatula nodules, Plant Cell, 15 (9) 2093-2105.
- Kevei Z, Vinardell J, Kiss G, Kondorosi A & Kondorosi E. (2002) Glycine-rich proteins encoded by a nodule-specific gene family are implicated in different stages of symbiotic nodule development in Medicago Spp., Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 15 (9) 922-931.
- Endre G, Kalo P, Kevei Z, Kiss P, Mihacea S, Szakal B, Kereszt A & Kiss G. (2002) Genetic mapping of the non-nodulation phenotype of the mutant mn-1008 in tetraploid alfalfa (Medicago sativa), Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 266 (6) 1012-1019.
- Endre G, Kereszt A, Kevei Z, Mihacea S, Kaló P & Kiss G (2002) A receptor kinase gene regulating symbiotic nodule development, Nature, 417 (6892) 962-966.
- Cerbah M, Kevei Z, Siljak-Yakovlev S, Kondorosi E, Kondorosi A & Trinh T. (1999) FISH chromosome mapping allowing karyotype analysis in Medicago truncatula lines Jemalong J5 and R-108-1, Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 12 (11) 947-950.