Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Irene Carra has been working at Cranfield since 2014. Having completed her MSc and BSc in Chemical Engineering (2005-2010), she obtained a PhD in Advanced Oxidation Processes (2011-1014) from the University of Almeria (Spain). From March 2017 to March 2020 she undertook a placement with Anglian Water’s Innovation Discovery team, leading research on advanced water treatment.
Investigation of UV advanced oxidation processes using light-emitting diodes for water treatment PhD:
Irene’s current research interests focus on advanced treatment for the removal of pollutants from water sources. She is currently leading research on:
- Advanced Oxidation Processes for the removal of micropollutants
- Fate and by-products formed during the oxidation of organic micropollutants
- The Water Treatment Works of the Future: advanced technologies to re-shape the treatment flowsheet of surface waters
- Ion Exchange for the removal of organic matter
- Point of Use and Point of Entry water treatment
- Resilient water treatment
Typhon Treatment Systems
Drinking Water Inspectorate
Articles In Journals
- Carra I, Fernandez Lozano J, Johannesen S, Godart-Brown M, Goslan EH, Jarvis P & Judd S (2020) Sorptive removal of disinfection by-product precursors from UK lowland surface waters: impact of molecular weight and bromide, Science of the Total Environment, Available online 5 September 2020, Article No. 142152.
- Carra I, Lozano JF, Autin O, Bolton JR & Jarvis P (2020) Disinfection by-product formation during UV/Chlorine treatment of pesticides in a novel UV-LED reactor at 285 nm and the mitigation impact of GAC treatment, Science of the Total Environment, 712 (April) Article No. 136413.
- Goodwin L, Carra I, Campo P & Soares A (2018) Treatment options for reclaiming wastewater produced by the pesticide industry, International Journal of Water and Wastewater Treatment, 4 (1).
- Carra I, Sánchez Pérez J, Malato S, Autin O, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2016) Performance of different advanced oxidation processes for tertiary wastewater treatment to remove the pesticide acetamiprid, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 91 (1) 72-81.
- Jefferson B, Jarvis P, Bhagianathan G, Smith H, Autin O, Goslan H, McAdam J & Carra I (2016) Effect of elevated UV dose and alkalinity on metaldehyde removal and THM formation with UV/TiO2 and UV/H2O2, Chemical Engineering Journal, 288 (March) 359-367.
- Carra I, Sirtori C, Ponce-Robles L, Pérez JA, Malato S & Agüera A (2015) Degradation and monitoring of acetamiprid, thiabendazole and their transformation products in an agro-food industry effluent during solar photo-Fenton treatment in a raceway pond reactor, Chemosphere, 130 (July) 73-81.
- Carra I, Sánchez Pérez JA, Malato S, Autin O, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2015) Application of high intensity UVC-LED for the removal of acetamiprid with the photo-Fenton process, Chemical Engineering Journal, 264 (March) 690-696.
- Rivas G, Carra I, Garcia Sánchez JL, Casas López JL, Malato S & Sanchez Pérez JA (2015) Modelling of the operation of raceway pond reactors for micropollutant removal by solar photo-Fenton as a function of photon absorption, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 178 (November) 210-217.
- Jiménez M, Ignacio Maldonado M, Rodríguez EM, Hernández-Ramírez A, Saggioro E, Carra I & Sánchez Pérez JA (2015) Supported TiO2 solar photocatalysis at semi-pilot scale: Degradation of pesticides found in citrus processing industry wastewater, reactivity and influence of photogenerated species, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 90 (1) 149-157.
- Carra I, García Sánchez JL, Casas López JL, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) Phenomenological study and application of the combined influence of iron concentration and irradiance on the photo-Fenton process to remove micropollutants, Science of the Total Environment, 478 (April) 123-132.
- Sánchez Peréz JA, Carra I, Sirtori C, Agüera A & Esteban B (2014) Fate of thiabendazole through the treatment of a simulated agro-food industrial effluent by combined MBR/Fenton processes at μg/L scale, Water Research, 51 55-63.
- Sirtori C, Agüera A, Carra I & Sanchéz Pérez JA (2014) Application of liquid chromatography quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry to the identification of acetamiprid transformation products generated under oxidative processes in different water matrices, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 406 (11) 2549-2558.
- Sirtori C, Agüera A, Carra I & Sanchéz Pérez JA (2014) Identification and monitoring of thiabendazole transformation products in water during Fenton degradation by LC-QTOF-MS, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 406 (22) 5323-5337.
- Carra I, Santos-Juanes L, Acién Fernández FG, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) New approach to solar photo-Fenton operation. Raceway ponds as tertiary treatment technology, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 279 322-329.
- Carra I, Malato S, Jiménez M, Maldonado MI & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) Microcontaminant removal by solar photo-Fenton at natural pH run with sequential and continuous iron additions, Chemical Engineering Journal, 235 132-140.
- Carra IC, García Sánchez JL, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) Modelling micropollutant removal by solar photo-fenton, Global Networks - A Journal of Transnational Affairs , 16 (3 SPEC. ISSUE) 445-454.
- Sánchez IMR, Carra I & Pérez JAS (2014) Promoting environmental technology using sanitary tax: The case of agro-food industrial wastewater in Spain, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 13 (4) 961-969.
- Carra I, Casas Lopez JL, Sanchez Perez JA & Roman Sanchez IM (2013) Economía del tratamiento de aguas mediante fotocatálisis solar, Tecno Ambiente, 23 (237) 7-10.
- Roman Sanchez IM, Carra I & Sanchez Perez JA (2013) El uso sostenible del agua: Tributos medioambientales y nuevos procesos de descontaminación mediante energías renovables/The Sustainable Use of Water: Environmental Taxes and New Decontamination Processes Using Renewable Energy, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, 31 (1) 197-216.
- Roman Sanchez IM & Carra I (2013) Effect of Environmental Taxes as Correcting Negative Externalities Caused by Water Pollution Applied to the Agro-Food Industry, Theoretical Economics Letters, 3 (3A) 30-34.
- Carra I, Casas López JL, Santos-Juanes L, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2013) Iron dosage as a strategy to operate the photo-Fenton process at initial neutral pH, Chemical Engineering Journal, 224 (1) 67-74.
- Carra I, Malato S, Santos-Juanes L, Casas López JL & Sánchez Pérez JA (2013) Study of iron sources and hydrogen peroxide supply in the photo-Fenton process using acetaminophen as model contaminant, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 88 (4) 636-643.
- Sánchez Pérez JA, Román Sánchez IM, Carra I, Cabrera Reina A, Casas López JL & Malato S (2013) Economic evaluation of a combined photo-Fenton/MBR process using pesticides as model pollutant. Factors affecting costs, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 244-245 195-203.
- Carra I, Ortega-Gómez E, Santos-Juanes L, Casas López JL & Sánchez Pérez JA (2013) Cost analysis of different hydrogen peroxide supply strategies in the solar: Photo-Fenton process, Chemical Engineering Journal, 224 (1) 75-81.
- Carra I, Sanchez Perez JA, Malato S, Aguera A & Casas Lopez JL (2015) Application of the photo-Fenton process for the removal of persistent pollutants: operation parameters. CIEMAT, ed. 978-84-7834-733-9.