Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Having completed her MSc in Chemical Engineering (2005-2010), Irene obtained a PhD in Advanced Oxidation Processes (2011-2014) from the University of Almeria (Spain). She then became a Research Fellow (2014-2017) at Cranfield. In 2017 and for three years, she undertook a placement with Anglian Water’s Innovation Discovery team, leading a research programme on advanced water treatment. In 2019 and after finishing her Industry placement, she became Lecturer in Chemical Processes at Cranfield, where she continues her research on advanced treatment in collaboration with Anglian Water and other partners from the Water Industry.
Irene’s current research interests focus on advanced treatment for the removal of pollutants from water sources. She is currently leading research on:
- Advanced Oxidation Processes for the removal of micropollutants
- Fate and by-products formed during the oxidation of organic micropollutants
- The Water Treatment Works of the Future: advanced technologies to re-shape the treatment flowsheet of surface waters
- Ion Exchange for the removal of organic matter
- Point of Use and Point of Entry water treatment
- Resilient water treatment
Typhon Treatment Systems
Drinking Water Inspectorate
Articles In Journals
- Carra I, Fernandez Lozano J, Johannesen S, Godart-Brown M, Goslan EH, Jarvis P & Judd S (2021) Sorptive removal of disinfection by-product precursors from UK lowland surface waters: impact of molecular weight and bromide, Science of the Total Environment, 754 (February) Article No. 142152.
- Judd SJ & Carra I (2021) Low-pressure membrane technology for potable water filtration: true costs, Water Research, 191 (March) Article No. 116826.
- John A, Brookes A, Carra I, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2020) Microbubbles and their application to ozonation in water treatment: A critical review exploring their benefit and future application, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, Available online 22 December 2020.
- Carra I, Lozano JF, Autin O, Bolton JR & Jarvis P (2020) Disinfection by-product formation during UV/Chlorine treatment of pesticides in a novel UV-LED reactor at 285 nm and the mitigation impact of GAC treatment, Science of the Total Environment, 712 (April) Article No. 136413.
- Goodwin L, Carra I, Campo P & Soares A (2018) Treatment options for reclaiming wastewater produced by the pesticide industry, International Journal of Water and Wastewater Treatment, 4 (1).
- Jefferson B, Jarvis P, Bhagianathan G, Smith H, Autin O, Goslan H, McAdam J & Carra I (2016) Effect of elevated UV dose and alkalinity on metaldehyde removal and THM formation with UV/TiO2 and UV/H2O2, Chemical Engineering Journal, 288 (March) 359-367.
- Carra I, Sánchez Pérez J, Malato S, Autin O, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2016) Performance of different advanced oxidation processes for tertiary wastewater treatment to remove the pesticide acetamiprid, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 91 (1) 72-81.
- Carra I, Sirtori C, Ponce-Robles L, Pérez JA, Malato S & Agüera A (2015) Degradation and monitoring of acetamiprid, thiabendazole and their transformation products in an agro-food industry effluent during solar photo-Fenton treatment in a raceway pond reactor, Chemosphere, 130 (July) 73-81.
- Carra I, Sánchez Pérez JA, Malato S, Autin O, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2015) Application of high intensity UVC-LED for the removal of acetamiprid with the photo-Fenton process, Chemical Engineering Journal, 264 (March) 690-696.
- Rivas G, Carra I, Garcia Sánchez JL, Casas López JL, Malato S & Sanchez Pérez JA (2015) Modelling of the operation of raceway pond reactors for micropollutant removal by solar photo-Fenton as a function of photon absorption, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 178 (November) 210-217.
- Jiménez M, Ignacio Maldonado M, Rodríguez EM, Hernández-Ramírez A, Saggioro E, Carra I & Sánchez Pérez JA (2015) Supported TiO2 solar photocatalysis at semi-pilot scale: Degradation of pesticides found in citrus processing industry wastewater, reactivity and influence of photogenerated species, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 90 (1) 149-157.
- Carra I, García Sánchez JL, Casas López JL, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) Phenomenological study and application of the combined influence of iron concentration and irradiance on the photo-Fenton process to remove micropollutants, Science of the Total Environment, 478 (April) 123-132.
- Sánchez Peréz JA, Carra I, Sirtori C, Agüera A & Esteban B (2014) Fate of thiabendazole through the treatment of a simulated agro-food industrial effluent by combined MBR/Fenton processes at μg/L scale, Water Research, 51 55-63.
- Sirtori C, Agüera A, Carra I & Sanchéz Pérez JA (2014) Application of liquid chromatography quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry to the identification of acetamiprid transformation products generated under oxidative processes in different water matrices, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 406 (11) 2549-2558.
- Sirtori C, Agüera A, Carra I & Sanchéz Pérez JA (2014) Identification and monitoring of thiabendazole transformation products in water during Fenton degradation by LC-QTOF-MS, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 406 (22) 5323-5337.
- Carra I, Santos-Juanes L, Acién Fernández FG, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) New approach to solar photo-Fenton operation. Raceway ponds as tertiary treatment technology, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 279 322-329.
- Carra I, Malato S, Jiménez M, Maldonado MI & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) Microcontaminant removal by solar photo-Fenton at natural pH run with sequential and continuous iron additions, Chemical Engineering Journal, 235 132-140.
- Carra IC, García Sánchez JL, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2014) Modelling micropollutant removal by solar photo-fenton, Global Networks - A Journal of Transnational Affairs , 16 (3 SPEC. ISSUE) 445-454.
- Sánchez IMR, Carra I & Pérez JAS (2014) Promoting environmental technology using sanitary tax: The case of agro-food industrial wastewater in Spain, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 13 (4) 961-969.
- Carra I, Casas Lopez JL, Sanchez Perez JA & Roman Sanchez IM (2013) Economía del tratamiento de aguas mediante fotocatálisis solar, Tecno Ambiente, 23 (237) 7-10.
- Roman Sanchez IM, Carra I & Sanchez Perez JA (2013) El uso sostenible del agua: Tributos medioambientales y nuevos procesos de descontaminación mediante energías renovables/The Sustainable Use of Water: Environmental Taxes and New Decontamination Processes Using Renewable Energy, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, 31 (1) 197-216.
- Roman Sanchez IM & Carra I (2013) Effect of Environmental Taxes as Correcting Negative Externalities Caused by Water Pollution Applied to the Agro-Food Industry, Theoretical Economics Letters, 3 (3A) 30-34.
- Carra I, Casas López JL, Santos-Juanes L, Malato S & Sánchez Pérez JA (2013) Iron dosage as a strategy to operate the photo-Fenton process at initial neutral pH, Chemical Engineering Journal, 224 (1) 67-74.
- Carra I, Malato S, Santos-Juanes L, Casas López JL & Sánchez Pérez JA (2013) Study of iron sources and hydrogen peroxide supply in the photo-Fenton process using acetaminophen as model contaminant, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 88 (4) 636-643.
- Sánchez Pérez JA, Román Sánchez IM, Carra I, Cabrera Reina A, Casas López JL & Malato S (2013) Economic evaluation of a combined photo-Fenton/MBR process using pesticides as model pollutant. Factors affecting costs, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 244-245 195-203.
- Carra I, Ortega-Gómez E, Santos-Juanes L, Casas López JL & Sánchez Pérez JA (2013) Cost analysis of different hydrogen peroxide supply strategies in the solar: Photo-Fenton process, Chemical Engineering Journal, 224 (1) 75-81.
- Carra I, Sanchez Perez JA, Malato S, Aguera A & Casas Lopez JL (2015) Application of the photo-Fenton process for the removal of persistent pollutants: operation parameters. CIEMAT, ed. 978-84-7834-733-9.