This course will provide an understanding of the design principles, practice and operational experience of biological treatment processes.
At a glance
- 13 - 17 Jan 2020
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,400. Concessions available
What you will learn
On successful completion of this short course you will:
- Identify the range of conventional and advanced biological treatment processes for the treatment of bulk organics, nutrients and micropollutants
- Understand the underlying biological principles on which the processes are based, and be able to apply these principles to unit process design and operation
- Select appropriate processes for specific applications, and have some knowledge of practical design considerations
- Execute and assess laboratory work for wastewater quality analysis (FT and PT).
- Key principles of biological processes including stoichiometry, kinetics and microbial pathways
- The role of micro-organisms in activated sludge (aerobic processes) and digestion (anaerobic processes)
- Application of fixed film processes including RBCs, MBBR, IFAS and trickling filters
- Activated sludge principles, design and operation
- Principles of oxygen transfer for suspended growth microbial processes
- Anaerobic digestion principles, design and operation
- Principles of heat transfer for optimum anaerobic digestion performance
- Applications for extensive processes for wastewater treatment including reed beds
- Biological nutrient removal including Annamox and alternative nutrient removal processes (struvite and adsorbents)
- Advanced biological wastewater treatment including anaerobic wastewater treatment and application of biological processes for micropollutant removal
- Laboratory session examining wastewater quality analysis.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Cranfield credits are available for this short course which you can put towards selected Cranfield degrees. Find out more about Short course credit points.
Dr Ana Soares - Lecturer in Biological Processes
Concessions(20% discount for Cranfield alumni, 10% discount for colleagues of alumni)
£1,340 - Professional/trade association discount
£1,280 - Multiple bookings*
* Minimum of five delegates
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.