Contact Professor Tom Stephenson
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754054
- Email: T.Stephenson@cranfield.ac.uk
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tom-stephenson/2/26b/3b2
Qualifications: Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng). BSc Biochemistry, University of York, UK. PhD, DIC Public Health Engineering, Imperial College London. CEng, FIChemE, FCIWEM, FHEA. Member of the US Water Environment Federation (WEF).
Previous Experience: Senior Lecturer in Biochemical Engineering, Teesside University. Post Doctoral Researcher, Civil Engineering Department, Imperial College London.
External Appointments: Chairman of Water Innovate, a University spinout set up with colleagues at Cranfield and sold to Bluewater Bio Ltd in 2010. Board member and Chairman (2010-12) of British Water, the trade association representing water sector supply chain companies. Member of Lee Kuan Yew Singapore International Water Prize Jury 2016 onwards.
I am research active with a focus on biological wastewater treatment processes, including aerobic and anaerobic systems, fixed film and suspended growth processes, and nutrient (nitrogen and phosphorus) removal. I have also led research in water treatment processes and water reuse and recycling. Current and recent projects include greenhouse gas emissions from wastewater processes, nitrogen transformations, novel fixed film bioreactors and industrial effluent treatment. I have previously worked on activated sludge processes, algal systems for wastewater treatment, biological aerated filters and package sewage treatment plant. Through a spinout, Water Innovate, I have interests in ultra-violet UV light mediated photocatalysis for recalcitrant pollutant removal.
I am currently a co-supervisor of two PhD students on engineered media in moving bed bioreactors for wastewater treatment and the Anammox reaction for nitrogen removal. My teaching interests are in preliminary wastewater treatment, biological processes and the business of the water industry.
I am Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Innovation; my responsibilities as a member of Cranfield's Executive can be viewed here.
- Bluewater Bio Ltd
- Enso International Ltd
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Nu Angle Ltd
- Severn Trent Water
- Tata Steel
- Thames Water
Articles In Journals
- Simoes F, Vale P, Stephenson T & Soares A (2018) The role of pH on the biological struvite production in digested sludge dewatering liquors, Scientific Reports, 8 Article No. 7225.
- Raper E, Stephenson T, Simões F, Fisher R, Anderson DR & Soares A (2018) Enhancing the removal of pollutants from coke wastewater by bioaugmentation: a scoping study, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, Early online.
- Hassard F, Biddle J, Harnett R & Stephenson T (2018) Microbial extracellular enzyme activity affects performance in a full-scale modified activated sludge process, Science of the Total Environment, 625 (June) 1527-1534.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2018) Consequences of pH change on wastewater depth filtration using a multimedia filter, Water Research, 128 (January) 111-119.
- Simoes F, Vale P, Stephenson T & Soares A (2017) Understanding the growth of the bio-struvite production Brevibacterium antiquum in sludge liquors, Environmental Technology, Early online.
- Raper E, Soares A, Chen J, Sutcliffe A, Aries E, Anderson D & Stephenson T (2017) Enhancing the removal of hazardous pollutants from coke making wastewater by dosing activated carbon to a pilot‐scale activated sludge process, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 92 (9) 2325-2333.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2016) The effect of high hydraulic loading rate on the removal efficiency of a quadruple media filter for tertiary wastewater treatment, Water Research, 107 (December) 102-112.
- Hassard F, Biddle J, Cartmell E & Stephenson T (2016) Mesh rotating reactors for biofilm pre-treatment of wastewaters – influence of media type on microbial activity, viability and performance, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 103, Part A (September) 69-75.
- Raper E, Davies S, Perkins B, Lamb H, Hermanson M, Soares A & Stephenson T (2015) Ecological conditions of ponds situated on blast furnace slag deposits located in South Gare Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), Teesside, UK, Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 37 (3) 545-556.
- Hassard F, Biddle J, Cartmell E, Jefferson B, Tyrrel S & Stephenson T (2015) Rotating biological contactors for wastewater treatment - A review, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 94 285-306.
- Wang Y, Zhou S, Ye L, Wang H, Stephenson T & Jiang X (2014) Nitrite survival and nitrous oxide production of denitrifying phosphorus removal sludges in long-term nitrite/nitrate-fed sequencing batch reactors, Water Research, 67 33-45.
- Petrie B, McAdam EJ, Hassard F, Stephenson T, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2014) Diagnostic investigation of steroid estrogen removal by activated sludge at varying solids retention time, Chemosphere, 113 101-108.
- Hassard F, Cartmell E, Biddle J & Stephenson T (2014) Performance of permeable media rotating reactors used for pretreatment of wastewaters, Water Science and Technology, 69 (9) 1926-1931.
- Wang Y, Guo G, Wang H, Stephenson T, Guo J & Liu Y (2013) Long term impact of anaerobic reaction time on the performance and granular characteristics of granular denitrifying biological phosphorus removal systems, Water Research, 47 (14) 5326-5337.
- Stephenson T, Reid E, Avery LM & Jefferson B (2013) Media surface properties and the development of nitrifying biofilms in mixed cultures for wastewater treatment., Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 91 (4) 321-324.
- Martin BD, De Kock L, Stephenson T, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2013) The impact of contactor scale on a ferric nanoparticle adsorbent process for the removal of phosphorus from municipal wastewater, Chemical Engineering Journal, 215-216 209-215.
- Aboobakar A, Cartmell E, Stephenson T, Jones M, Vale P & Dotro G (2013) Nitrous oxide emissions and dissolved oxygen profiling in a full-scale nitrifying activated sludge treatment plant, Water Research, 47 (2) 524-534.
- Dotro G, Jefferson B, Jones M, Vale P, Cartmell E & Stephenson T (2011) A review of the impact and potential of intermittent aeration on continuous flow nitrifying activated sludge, Environmental Technology, 32 (15) 1685-1697.
- Santos A, Barton P, Cartmell E, Coulon F, Crane RS, Hillis P, Lester JN, Stephenson T & Judd SJ (2010) Fate and behaviour of copper and zinc in secondary biological wastewater treatment processes: II Removal at varying sludge age, Environmental Technology, 31 (7) 725-743.
- Crane RS, Barton P, Cartmell E, Coulon F, Hillis P, Judd SJ, Santos A, Stephenson T & Lester JN (2010) Fate and behaviour of copper and zinc in secondary biological wastewater treatment processes: I Evaluation of biomass adsorption capacity, Environmental Technology, 31 (7) 705-723.
- Ruiz-Marin A, Mendoza-Espinosa LG & Stephenson T (2009) Growth and nutrient removal in free and immobilized green algae in batch and semi-continuous cultures treating real wastewater, Bioresource Technology, 101 (1) 58-64.
- Wang Y, Peng Y & Stephenson T (2009) Effect of influent nutrient ratios and hydraulic retention time (HRT) on simultaneous phosphorus and nitrogen removal in a two-sludge sequencing batch reactor process, Bioresource Technology, 100 (14) 3506-3512.
- Pidou M, Parsons SA, Raymond G, Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2009) Fouling control of a membrane coupled photocatalytic process treating greywater, Water Research, 43 (16) 3932-3939.
- Winward GP, Avery LM, Stephenson T, Jeffrey P, Le Corre KS, Fewtrell L & Jefferson B (2009) Pathogens in urban wastewaters suitable for reuse, Urban Water Journal, 6 (4) 291-301.
- Butler MD, Wang YY, Cartmell E & Stephenson T (2009) Nitrous oxide emissions for early warning of biological nitrification failure in activated sludge., Water Research, 43 (5) 1265-1272.
- Pidou M, Avery L, Stephenson T, Jeffrey P, Parsons SA, Liu S, Memon FA & Jefferson B (2008) Chemical solutions for greywater recycling, Chemosphere, 71 (1) 147-155.
- Winward GP, Avery LM, Frazer-Williams R, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2008) A study of the microbial quality of grey water and an evaluation of treatment technologies for reuse, Ecological Engineering, 32 (2) 187-197.
- Winward G, Avery LM, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2008) Chlorine disinfection of grey water for reuse: effect of organics and particles, Water Research, 42 (1-2) 483-491.
- Winward G, Avery LM, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2008) Ultraviolet (UV) disinfection of grey water: particle size effects, Environmental Technology, 29 (2) 235-244.
- Winward G, Avery L, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2008) Essential oils for the disinfection of grey water, Water Research, 42 (8-9) 2260-2268.
- Jarvis P, Banks J, Molinder R, Stephenson T, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2008) Processes for enhanced NOM removal: Beyond Fe and Al coagulation, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 8 (6) 709-716.
- Pidou M, Memon FA, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jeffrey P (2007) Greywater recycling: Treatment options and applications, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 160 (3) 119-131.
- Germain Eve, Nelles F, Drews A, Pearce P, Kraume M, Reid E, Judd Simon J & Stephenson Tom (2007) Biomass effects on oxygen transfer in membrane bioreactors., Water Research, 41 (5) 1038-1044.
- Pidou Marc, Memon Fayyaz Ali, Stephenson Tom, Jefferson Bruce & Jeffrey Paul (2007) Greywater recycling: A review of treatment options and applications, Proceedings of the ICE - Bridge Engineering.
- Bungay S, Humphries M & Stephenson Tom (2007) Operating strategies for variable-flow sequencing batch reactors., Water and Environment Journal, 21 (1) 1-8.
- Callister S & Stephenson T (2006) Nitrification toxicity monitoring, Chemical Engineer -London then Rugby- 34-35.
- Connolly HE, Van Der Gast CJ, Wylie D, Stephenson T & Thompson IP (2006) Enhanced biological treatment of spent metalworking fluids by prior removal of a polymer, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 81 (9) 1540-1546.
- Del Solar J, Hudson S & Stephenson T (2005) On-site treatment of a motorway service area wastewater using a package sequencing batch reactor (SBR), Water Science and Technology, 51 (10) 311-316.
- Germain E, Pearce P & Stephenson T (2005) Biomass characteristics and membrane aeration: towards a better understanding of membrane fouling in submerged membrane bioreactors (MBRs), Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 90 (3) 316-322.
- Jefferson B, Laine A, Stephenson T & Judd SJ (2005) Advanced Biological unit processes for domestic water recycling, Water Science and Technology, 43 (10) 211-218.
- Germain Eve & Stephenson Tom (2005) Biomass characteristics, aeration and oxygen transfer in membrane bioreactors: their interrelations explained by a review of aerobic biological processes, Reviews in Environmental Science and Biotechnology.
- Withey S, Cartmell Elise, Avery L M & Stephenson Tom (2005) Bacteriophages - potential for application in wastewater treatment processes., Science of the Total Environment, 339 (1-3) 1-18.
- DiGiano F A, Andreottola G, Adham S, Buckley C, Cornell P, Daigger GT, Fane A, Galil N, Jacangelo J, Pollice A, Rittmann B E, Stephenson T & Ujang Z (2004) Safe water for everyone, Water Environment and Technology 31-35.
- Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Temple C (2004) Ever deeper and wider: incorporating sustainability into a practitioner oriented engineering curriculum, Water Science and Technology, 49 (8) 43-48.
- Stephenson T, Pollard SJT & Cartmell E (2004) Feasibility of biological aerated filters (BAFs) for treating landfill leachate, Environmental Technology, 25 (3) 349-354.
- Daude D & Stephenson T (2003) Moving bed biofilm reactors: a small-scale treatment solution, Water Science and Technology, 48 (11-12) 251-257.
- Daude D & Stephenson T (2003) Cost-effective treatment solutions for rural areas: design and operation of a new package treatment plant for single households, Water Science and Technology, 48 (11-12) 107-114.
- Smith S, Judd S, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2003) Membrane bioreactors - hybrid activated sludge or a new process?, Membrane Technology, 2003 (12) 5-8.
- Burgess Joanna E, Colliver Bettina B, Stuetz Richard M & Stephenson Tom (2002) Dinitrogen oxide production by a mixed culture of nitrifying bacteria during ammonia shock loading and aeration failure, Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, 29 (6) 309-313.
- Houghton Jennifer I & Stephenson Tom (2002) Off-line particle size analysis of digested sludge., Water Research, 36 (18) 4643-4647.
- Houghton Jennifer I & Stephenson Tom (2002) Effect of influent organic content on digested sludge extracellular polymer content and dewaterability, Water Research, 36 (14) 3620-3628.
- Burgess JE, Mayhew ME, Clark TA & Stephenson T (2002) Assessment of micorbial populations in activated sludge using an organism diversity index, Water and Environment Journal, 16 40-45.
- Burgess JE, Stuetz R, Morton S & Stephenson T (2002) Dinitrogen oxide detection for process failure early warning systems, Water Science and Technology, 45 (4) 247-254.
- Houghton J, Quarmby J & Stephenson T (2001) Municipal sludge dewaterability and the presence of microbial extracellular polymer, Water Science and Technology, 44 (2-3) 373-380.
- Mendoza-Espinosa L G & Stephenson Tom (2001) Organic and Hydraulic Shock Loadings on a Biological Aerated Filter., Environmental Technology, 22 (3) 321-330.
- Moore Rebecca, Quarmby Joanne & Stephenson Tom (2001) The effects of media size on the performance of biological aerated filters., Water Research, 35 (10) 2514-2522.
- Diaper C, Dixon A, Butler D, Fewkes A, Parsons S, Strathern M, Stephenson T & Strutt J (2001) Small-scale water recycling systems: risk assessment and modelling, Water Science and Technology, 43 (10) 83-90.
- Lodge BN, Seager T, Stephenson T, English P & Ford R (2000) A water recycling plant at the Millennium Dome, Civil Engineering (Reston), 138 58-64.
- Burgess JE, Longhurst PJ, Quarmby J & Stephenson T (2000) Innovational adaptation in the UK water and wastewater industry: a case study of introducing DTA, Technovation, 20 (1) 37-45.
- Jefferson B, Laine A, Parsons S, Stephenson T & Judd S (2000) Technologies for domestic wastewater recycling, Urban Water, 1 (4) 285-292.
- Houghton J, Stephenson T & Quarmby J (2000) The Impact of Digester Retention Time on Microbial Extracellular Polymer Production and Sludge Dewaterability, Environmental Technology, 21 (10) 1157-1165.
- Jefferson B, Laine A, Judd SJ & Stephenson T (2000) Membrane bioreactors and their role in wastewater reuse, Water Science and Technology, 41 (1) 197-204.
- Jeffrey P, Seaton RAF, Parsons SA, Judd SJ, Stephenson T, Fewkes A, Butler D & Dixon A (2000) An interdisciplinary approach to the assessment of water recycling technology options, International Journal of Water Resources Development, 1 (1) 102-117.
- Clark T, Jeffrey P & Stephenson T (2000) Complex Agendas for New Technology Adoption in the UK Water Industry., Technovation, 20 (5) 247-256.
- Burgess JE, Longhurst PJ, Quarmby J & Stephenson T (2000) Direct toxicity assessment: adaptation and the proactive roles of regulators and operators, Technovation, 20 (6) 313-320.
- Burgess JE, Quarmby J & Stephenson T (2000) Vitamin addition: An Option for Sustainable Activated Sludge Process Effluent Quality, Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, 24 (4) 267-274.
- Burgess JE, Harkness J, Longhurst PJ & Stephenson T (2000) Nutrient Balancing for Enhanced Activated Sludge Reactor Performance: UK Perspective, Water Science and Technology, 41 (12) 223-231.
- Jeffrey P, Seaton RAF, Parsons DJ, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (1999) Exploring Water Recycling Options for Urban Environments: A Multi-criteria Modelling Approach, Urban Water Journal, 1 (3) 187-200.
- Jeffrey P, Seaton RAF, Stephenson T & Parsons SA (1998) Infrastructure configurations for wastewater treatment and reuse: A simulation based study of membrane bioreactors., Water Science and Technology, 38 (11) 105-111.
- Jeffrey P, Seaton R, Parsons S & Stephenson T (1997) Evaluation methods for the design of adaptive water supply systems in urban environments, Water Science and Technology, 35 (9) 45-51.
- Stephenson D & Stephenson T (1992) Bioaugmentation for enhancing biological wastewater treatment, Biotechnology Advances, 10 (4) 549-559.
- Yeoman S, Stephenson T, Lester JN & Perry R (1988) The removal of phosphorus during wastewater treatment: a review., Environmental Pollution, 49 (3) 183-233.
- Stephenson T & Lester JN (1986) Evaluation of startup and operation of four anaerobic processes treating a synthetic meat waste., Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 28 (3) 372-380.
- Yeoman S, Stephenson T, Lester JN & Perry R (1986) Biotechnology for phosphorus removal during wastewater treatment., Biotechnology Advances, 4 (1) 13-26.
- Bungay S & Stephenson T The design, commissioning and operation of a single-stage plastic trickling filter, Water and Environment Journal.
- Stephenson Tom (2009) Municipal Sewage Treatment in 2050.
- Stephenson T, Chilro N, Ballinger D, Edmunds S & Richmond H (2008) Use of the uncoupling effect to reduce sludge production in activated sludge. In: 13th European Biosolids and Biowaste Conference, Manchester, 10 November 2008.
- Stephenson T, Wang Y, Yan M, Gao N & Ren M (2008) Impact of operating condition on the cyclic activated sludge technology (CAST) performance. In: IWA 9th National UK Young Water Professionals Conference, Newcastle University, 2 April 2008.
- Stephenson T, Callister S & Harper PLS (2006) Impact of variable emissions rates on odour modelling at WwTW's. In: 4th CIWEM Annual Conference, Newcastle, 12 September 2006.
- Callister S, Stephenson Tom, Butler M D & Cartmell Elise (2006) N-Tox® - Early warning of nitrification toxicity for activated sludge treatment.. In: 4th CIWEM Annual Conference, Newcastle, 12 September 2006.
- Connolly H, Van der Gast C, Wylie D, Stephenson T & Thompson I (2005) Formulation of biologically treatable metalworking fluids. In: 13th International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation Symposium, Madrid, Spain, 4 September 2005.
- Bungay S, Craft D & Stephenson T (2005) The design, commissioning and operation of a single-stage plastic trickling filter. In: Third CIWEM National Conference, Wakefield, 1 September 2005.
- Connolly H, Van der Gast C, Wylie D, Stephenson T & Thompson I (2005) Enhanced biological treatment of spent metalworking fluids by prior removal of a polymer. In: 3rd European Bioremediation Conference, 2005, Chania, Crete, 4 July 2005.
- Germain E, Stephenson T & Pearce P (2005) Optimising submerged MBR operation by focussing on the biology. In: Design and Operation of Activated Sludge and Biofilm Systems, Leeds, 21 April 2005.
- Stephenson T & Rogalla F (2005) Biological aerated filters (BAF) - state of the art. In: Design and Operation of Activated Sludge and Biofilm Systems, Leeds, 1 April 2005.
- Butler M, Cartmell E, Stokes L & Stephenson T (2005) Non-Invasive Monitoring for Early Warning Nitrification Failure. In: 78th Annual Water Environment Federation Conference, Washington DC, USA, 29 October 2005.
- Stuetz R, Burgess JE, Bourgeois W & Stephenson T (2004) Biosensing systems for monitoring aerobic wastewater treatment processes. In: European Symposium Enviornmental Biotechnology, Ostend, Belgium, 25 April 2004.
- Stephenson T & Daude D (2004) Package plants for decentralized sewage treatment - the UK situation. In: 6th IWA Conference Small Water and Wastewater Systems, Perth, Australia, 11 February 2004.
- Stephenson T, Rogalla F & Cornell P (2004) Biofiltration in comparison: lessons learned over 21 years of full-scale experience. In: 77th Annual Water Environment Federation Conference, New Orleans, USA, 4 October 2004.
- Stuetz R, Burgess JE & Stephenson T (2004) Non-invasive monitoring of wastewater nitrification failure. In: 20th Australian Water Association Convention, Perth, Australia, 1 January 2004.
- Stephenson T, Del Solar J & Hudson S (2004) On-site treatment of a motorway service area wastewater using a package sequencing batch reactor. In: 6th IWA Conference Small Water and Wastewater Systems, Perth, Australia, 11 February 2004.
- Smith S, Judd SJ, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2003) Membrane bioreactors - hybrid activated sludge or new process. In: 5th International Membrane Science and Technology Conference, Sydney, 10 November 2003.
- Brookes A, Judd S, Reid E, Germain E, Smith S, Alvarez H, Le-Clech P, Stephenson T, Turra E & Jefferson B (2003) Characterisation and impact of biomass foulants in membrane bioreactors. In: 5th International Membrane Science and Technology Conference, Sydney, Australia, 10 November 2003.
- Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Temple C (2003) Ever deeper and wider: incorporating sustainability into a practitioner orientated engineering curriculum. In: 3rd IWA International Conference Environmental Engineering Education, Zurich, Switzerland, 25 September 2003.
- Stephenson T, Pollard S & Cartmell E (2003) Feasibility of biological aerated filters (BAFs) for leachate treatment. In: 9th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, Sardinia, 6 October 2003.
- Jackman S, Hampton S, Nathanail P, Guess P, Killham K, Paton G, Pollard S, Judd SJ, Stephenson T, Thompson I, Bailey M, Kalin R, Larkin M, Banwart S, Lerner D, Harris R, Beck P, Dalrymple I, Pallett I & Lethbridge G (2003) FIRST Faraday - A network of excellence in remediation of the polluted environment. In: ConSoil 2003, Ghent, Belgium, 12 May 2003.
- Ratsey HL, Hannay N, Thomas CD & Stephenson T (2002) Activated sludge treatment of high strength industrial wastewater with onsite generation of high purity oxygen. In: 2nd International Conference Management of Wastewaters, Edinburgh, 14 April 2002.
- Stephenson T (2002) BAFs vs MBRs: horses for courses. In: International Conference Wastewater Management and Technologies for Highly Urbanized Coastal Cities, Hong Kong, 10 June 2002.
- Berry AL & Stephenson T (2002) High shear systems for wastewater treatment. In: IWA 3rd World Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 22 April 2002.
- Stephenson T, Parsons SA & Longhurst PJ (2001) Industry-university co-operation in water and wastewater research and training. In: IWA International Conference Water and Wastewater Management for Developing Countries, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 29 October 2001.
- Stephenson T (2001) Water Reuse in Japan - moving ahead in water recycling technology. In: Management Water Sustainably in the Built Environment, CIRIA, London, 29 November 2001.
- Stephenson T, Hamblin D & Daude D (2001) Package treatment plants - a solution for developing countries?. In: IWA Interantional Conference Water and Wastewater Management for Developing Countries, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 29 October 2001.
- Laine A, Jefferson B, Jeffrey P, Judd SJ & Stephenson T (2000) Water recycling from grey to black, the process engineering solution to the water resource problem. In: 2000 IChemE Research Event, Bath, UK, 1 January 2000.
- Stephenson T, Diaper C, Parsons S, Strathern M & Strutt J (1999) In-building domestic water recycling - risk assessment. In: International Workshop on Cleaner Production, Seoul.
- Jefferson B, Laine A, Brindle K, Judd S & Stephenson T (1998) Towards a sewerless city. In: Water Environment 1998, Maintaining the flow, London, 26 March 1998.
- Jeffrey PJ, Seaton RAF & Stephenson T (1997) Coevolution of society and technology: Understanding the dynamics of communities and utility infrastructures. In: 1997 International Symposium on Technology and Society: Technology and Society at a Time of Sweeping Change, Glasgow, 20-21 June 1997.
- Parsons SA & Stephenson T (2004) Introduction to Wastewater Treatment. In: Phosphorus in Environmental Technology - Removal, Recovery, Applications', IWA Publishing, London.
- Stephenson T, Judd SJ, Jefferson B & Brindle K (2003) Membrane Bioreactors for Wastewater Treatment (Japanese). IWA Publishing.
- Judd S, Stephenson T (eds), (2002) Process science and engineering for water and wastewater treatment, IWA Publishing.
- Stephenson T, Judd SJ, Jefferson B & Brindle K (2000) Membrane Bioreactors for Wastewater Treatment. IWA Publishing.
- Pollard S, Stephenson T (eds), Risk management for the water and wastewater utility sector, IWA Publishing.