Contact Professor Ewan McAdam
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754546
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Ewan spent the early part of his career working in industry as an analytical chemist for an executive agency of DEFRA, and a global pharmaceutical manufacturer before taking a consultancy role serving clients across the fine chemical, pharmaceutical and manufacturing sectors. Following a return to study, he received his doctorate on membrane technology in 2008 at Cranfield, where he continues to work on the development of novel membrane processes for the water sector, that foster new opportunities in energy management, process intensification and resource recovery.
Professor McAdam’s research focusses on the development of hybrid membrane technologies for the water sector that permit selective separations, chemical and biochemical transformations, gas-liquid transfer or the initiation of a phase change, to enable opportunities in process intensification, energy production or resource recovery to be realised. He has secured over £10Mn of research income from research councils, an international network of industrial clients and NGOs.
His present research portfolio includes acting as scientific lead to the ‘Nanomembrane Toilet’ funded through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which received the 2018 Innovation Award from the International Water Association (IWA). He also presently holds a prestigious five-year European Research Council Fellowship, focussed on membrane assisted crystallisation. For this research, he was awarded the 2017 Emerging Technologies prize, a European innovation competition conferred by the Royal Society of Chemistry. Prof. McAdam is principal investigator on six patented membrane technologies, and has collectively published over 140 peer reviewed journal and conference papers together with contributing to five key published texts on membrane technology. Ewan is currently Editor-in-Chief of the Water and Environment Journal, a peer reviewed journal internationally distributed through Wiley.
- Anglian Water
- Northumbrian Water
- Severn Trent Water
- Sydney Water
- Thames Water
- Yorkshire Water
- Alpheus Environmental
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Carbon Trust
- Halcrow Group
- Kemira Chemicals
Articles In Journals
- Bavarella S, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Di Profio G, Curcio E, Hart P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Chemically reactive membrane crystallisation reactor for CO2–NH3 absorption and ammonium bicarbonate crystallisation: Kinetics of heterogeneous crystal growth, Journal of Membrane Science, 599 (April) Article No. 117682.
- Bavarella S, Hermassi M, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Di Profio G, Curcio E, Hart P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Is chemically reactive membrane crystallisation faciliated by heterogeneous primary nucleation? Comparison with conventional gas-liquid crystallisation for ammonium bicarbonate precipitation in a CO2-NH3-H2O system, Crystal Growth and Design, Available online 27 January 2020.
- Bavarella S, Hermassi M, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Moon IS, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Recovery and concentration of ammonia from return liquor to promote enhanced CO2 absorption and simultaneous ammonium bicarbonate crystallisation during biogas upgrading in a hollow fibre membrane contactor, Separation and Purification Technology, Available online 27 January 2020, Article No. 116631.
- Houlker S, Davey CJ, Allemand A, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Reconciliation of gas to liquid mass transfer in parallel and transverse flow (cross-flow) hollow fiber membrane contactors (HFMC) for CO2 absorption, Separation Science and Technology, Available online 08 January 2020.
- Hennigs J, Parker A, Collins M, Jiang Y, Kolios A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2019) Planning and communicating prototype tests for the Nano Membrane Toilet: A critical review and proposed strategy, Gates Open Research, 3 Article No. 1532.
- Christiaens ME, Udert KM, Arends JB, Huysman S, Vanhaecke L, McAdam E & Rabaey K (2019) Membrane stripping enables effective electrochemical ammonia recovery from urine while retaining microorganisms and micropollutants, Water Research, 150 (March) 349-357.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 5 (1) 161-171.
- Somorin T, Fidalgo B, Hassan S, Sowale A, Kolios A, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2019) Non-isothermal drying kinetics of human feces, Drying Technology, Avaiilable online 01 October.
- Muthuraman G, Ramu AG, McAdam E & Moon IS (2019) Sustainable removal of N2O by mediated electrocatalytic reduction at ambient temperature electro-scrubbing using electrogenerated Ni (I) electron mediator, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 378 (October) Article No. 120765.
- Jiang Y, McAdam E, Zhang Y, Heaven S, Banks C & Longhurst P (2019) Ammonia inhibition and toxicity in anaerobic digestion: a critical review, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 32 (December) Article No. 100899.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Azzini D, Eusebi AL, Tierney R, Williams L, Jiang Y, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Hybrid membrane distillation reverse electrodialysis configuration for water and energy recovery from human urine: an opportunity for off-grid decentralised sanitation, Journal of Membrane Science, 584 (August) 343-352. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8131562.v1
- Mercer E, Parker A, Cartmell E, McAdam E, Tyrrel S, Pidou M, Kolios A, Williams L & Cruddas P (2019) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Wang KM, Soares A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2019) Comparable membrane permeability can be achieved in granular and flocculent anaerobic membrane bioreactor for sewage treatment through better sludge blanket control, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 28 (April) 181-189.
- Hennigs J, Ravndal KT, Blose T, Toolaram A, Sindall RC, Barrington D, Collins M, Engineer B, Kolios AJ, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2019) Field testing of a prototype mechanical dry toilet flush, Science of the Total Environment, 668 (June) 419-431.
- Fidalgo B, Chilmeran M, Somorin T, Sowale A, Kolios A, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2019) Non-isothermal thermogravimetric kinetic analysis of the thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Renewable Energy, 132 (March) 1177-1184.
- Kolios A, Jiang Y, Somorin T, Sowale A, Anastasopoulou A, Anthony B, Fidalgo Fernandez B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Collins M & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic performance assessment of complex energy process systems – The case of a self-sustained sanitation system, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 (May) 74-85.
- Wang KM, Jefferson B, Soares A & McAdam EJ (2018) Sustaining membrane permeability during unsteady-state operation of anaerobic membrane bioreactors for municipal wastewater treatment following peak-flow, Journal of Membrane Science, 564 (October) 289-297.
- Autin O, Sakar H & McAdam EJ (2018) Fluorescence enabled direct visual observation for diagnosis of ultrafiltration membrane fouling by bidisperse sub-micron particle suspensions, Water and Environment Journal, 32 (4) 519-526.
- Wang KM, Cingolani D, Eusebi AL, Soares A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2018) Identification of gas sparging regimes for granular anaerobic membrane bioreactor to enable energy neutral municipal wastewater treatment, Journal of Membrane Science, 555 (June) 125-133.
- Muthuraman G, Ramu AG, Cho YH, McAdam EJ & Moon IS (2018) Sustainable degradation of carbon tetrafluoride to non-corrosive useful products by incorporating reduced electron mediator within electro-scrubbing, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 63 (July) 275-280.
- Kamranvand F, Davey CJ, Sakar H, Autin O, Mercer E, Collins M, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2018) Impact of fouling, cleaning and faecal contamination on the separation of water from urine using thermally driven membrane separation, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (9) 1372-1382.
- Wang KM, Martin Garcia N, Soares A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2018) Comparison of fouling between aerobic and anaerobic MBR treating municipal wastewater, H2Open Journal, 1 (2) 131-159.
- Muthuraman G, Ramu AG, Cho YH, McAdam EJ & Moon IS (2018) Electrochemically generated bimetallic reductive mediator Cu1+ [Ni2+ (CN) 4] 1− for the degradation of CF4 to ethanol by electro-scrubbing, Waste Management and Research, 36 (11) 1043-1048.
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Sowale A, Kolios A, Fidalgo B, Somorin T, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Thermodynamic analysis of a gamma type Stirling engine in an energy recovery system, Energy Conversion and Management, 165 528-540.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Conceptual environmental impact assessment of a novel self-sustained sanitation system incorporating a Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment approach, Science of the Total Environment, 639 (October) 657-672.
- Martin BD, De Kock L, Gallot M, Guery E, Stanowski S, MacAdam J, McAdam EJ, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2018) Quantifying the performance of a hybrid anion exchanger/adsorbent for phosphorus removal using mass spectrometry coupled with batch kinetic trials, Environmental Technology, 39 (18) 2304-2314.
- Cruddas PH, McAdam EJ, Asproulis N, Antoniadis A, Ansari I, Best D, Jefferson B, Cartmell E, Collins G, Porca E & Peña-Varón MR (2018) Development of a staged anaerobic pond for methane recovery from domestic wastewater, Ecological Engineering, 122 (October) 169-176.
- Wang CY, Mercer E, Kamranvand F, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2017) Tube-side mass transfer for hollow fibre membrane contactors operated in the low Graetz range, Journal of Membrane Science, 523 235-246.
- Somorin T, Kolios A, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2017) Faecal-wood biomass co-combustion and ash composition analysis, Fuel, 203 781-791.
- Heile S, Chernicharo C, Brandt E & McAdam E (2017) Dissolved gas separation for engineered anaerobic wastewater systems, Separation and Purification Technology, 189 (December) 405-418.
- Chernicharo CA, Brandt EF, Bressani-Ribeiro T, Melo VR, Bianchetti FJ, MotaFilho CR & McAdam E (2017) Development of a tool for improving the management of gaseous emissions in UASB-based sewage treatment plants, Water Practice and Technology, 12 (4) 917-926.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Cookney J, Mcleod A, Mathioudakis V, Ncube P, Soares A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2016) Dissolved methane recovery from anaerobic effluents using hollow fibre membrane contactors, Journal of Membrane Science, 502 141-150.
- McAdam E, McLeod A & Jefferson B (2016) Toward gas-phase controlled mass transfer in micro-porous membrane contactors for recovery and concentration of dissolved methane in the gas phase, Journal of Membrane Science, 510 (July) 466-471.
- Autin O, Hai F, Judd S & McAdam EJ (2016) Investigating the significance of coagulation kinetics on maintaining membrane permeability in an MBR following reactive coagulant dosing, Journal of Membrane Science, 516 (October) 64-73.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Jefferson B, Jarvis P, Bhagianathan G, Smith H, Autin O, Goslan H, McAdam J & Carra I (2016) Effect of elevated UV dose and alkalinity on metaldehyde removal and THM formation with UV/TiO2 and UV/H2O2, Chemical Engineering Journal, 288 (March) 359-367.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hepburn CA, Vale P, Brown AS, Simms NJ & McAdam EJ (2015) Development of on-line FTIR spectroscopy for siloxane detection in biogas to enhance carbon contactor management, Talanta, 141 (August) 128-136.
- Hepburn CA, Daneshkhah A, Simms NJ & McAdam EJ (2015) On-line management of siloxane breakthrough in carbon contactors using changepoint detection, Water and Environment Journal, 29 (3) 383-390.
- Hepburn CA, Martin BD, Simms N & McAdam EJ (2015) Characterization of full-scale carbon contactors for siloxane removal from biogas using online Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, Environmental Technology, 36 (2) 178-187.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Cartmell E, Soares A, McAdam E, Vale P, Darche-Dugar C & Jefferson B (2015) Gas to liquid mass transfer in rheologically complex fluids, Chemical Engineering Journal, 273 656-667.
- McLeod A, Buzatu P, Autin O, Jefferson B & McAdam E (2015) Controlling shell-side crystal nucleation in a gas-liquid membrane contactor for simultaneous ammonium bicarbonate recovery and biogas upgrading, Journal of Membrane Science, 473 146-156.
- Gormley-Gallagher A, Amezaga J, Shucksmith J, Savic D, Templeton M, McAdam E & Jeffrey P (2015) Briefing: Negotiating value at the research-practice interface in the water sector, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Management, Procurement and Law, 168 (1) 8-11.
- Lo CH, McAdam E & Judd S (2015) The cost of a small membrane bioreactor, Water Science and Technology, 72 (10) 1739-1746.
- Petrie B, McAdam EJ, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2014) Assessing potential modifications to the activated sludge process to improve simultaneous removal of a diverse range of micropollutants, Water Research, 62 180-192.
- Gormley A, Amezaga J, Shucksmith J, Savic D, Templeton M, Mcadam E & Jeffrey P (2014) One researcher, two guvnors: Negotiating academic and practitioner value in the water sector., Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Management, Procurement and Law, 168 (1) 8-11.
- Petrie B, McAdam EJ, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2014) Obtaining process mass balances of pharmaceuticals and triclosan to determine their fate during wastewater treatment, Science of the Total Environment, 497 553-560.
- Petrie B, McAdam EJ, Hassard F, Stephenson T, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2014) Diagnostic investigation of steroid estrogen removal by activated sludge at varying solids retention time, Chemosphere, 113 101-108.
- Heile S, Rosenberger S, Parker A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2014) Establishing the suitability of symmetric ultrathin wall polydimethylsiloxane hollow-fibre membrane contactors for enhanced CO2 separation during biogas upgrading, Journal of Membrane Science, 452 37-45.
- Nguyen LN, Hai FI, Price WE, Leusch FDL, Roddick F, McAdam EJ, Magram SF & Nghiem LD (2014) Continuous biotransformation of bisphenol a and diclofenac bylaccase in an enzymatic membrane reactor, International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 95 (PA) 25-32.
- McLeod A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2014) Biogas upgrading by chemical absorption using ammonia rich absorbents derived from wastewater, Water Research, 67 175-186.
- Cruddas PH, Wang K, Best D, Jefferson B, Cartmell E, Parker A & McAdam EJ (2014) Diagnosis of an anaerobic pond treating temperate domestic wastewater: an alternative sludge strategy for small works, Ecological Engineering, 63 (February) 64-71.
- McLeod A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2013) Quantifying the loss of methane through secondary gas mass transport (or 'slip') from a micro-porous membrane contactor applied to biogas upgrading, Water Research, 47 (11) 3688-3695.
- Eusebi AL, Martin-Garcia N, Mcadam EJ, Jefferson B, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2013) Nitrogen removal from temperate anaerobic-aerobic two-stage biological systems: Impact of reactor type and wastewater strength, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 88 (11) 2107-2114.
- Petrie B, McAdam EJ, Scrimshaw MD, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2013) Fate of drugs during wastewater treatment, Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 49 145-159.
- Neemann F, Rosenberger S, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2013) Non-covalent protein-polysaccharide interactions and their influence on membrane fouling, Journal of Membrane Science, 446 310-317.
- Lester J, Jefferson B, Eusebi A-L, Mcadam E & Cartmell E (2013) Anaerobic treatment of fortified municipal wastewater in temperate climates, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 88 (7) 1280-1288.
- Petrie B, McAdam EJ, Richards KH, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2013) Application of ultra-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry for the determination of steroid oestrogens in wastewaters, International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 93 (13) 1343-1355.
- Esquiroz-Molina A, Georgaki S, Stuetz R, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2013) Influence of pH on gas-phase controlled mass transfer in a membrane contactor for hydrogen sulphide absorption, Journal of Membrane Science, 427 276-282.
- Petrie B, McAdam EJ, Whelan MJ, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2013) The determination of nonylphenol and its precursors in a trickling filter wastewater treatment process, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 405 (10) 3243-3253.
- Paterakis N, Chiu TY, Koh YK, Lester JN, McAdam EJ, Scrimshaw MD, Soares A & Cartmell E (2012) The effectiveness of anaerobic digestion in removing estrogens and nonylphenol ethoxylates, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 199-200 88-95.
- Cookney J, Cartmell E, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2012) Recovery of methane from anaerobic process effluent using poly-di-methyl-siloxane membrane contactors , Water Science and Technology, 65 (4) 604-610.
- Bagnall JP, Ito A, McAdam E, Soares A, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2012) Resource dependent biodegradation of estrogens and the role of ammonia oxidising and heterotrophic bacteria, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 239-240 56-63.
- Martin-Garcia I, Monsalvo V, Pidou M, Le-Clech P, Judd SJ, McAdam EJ & Jefferson B (2011) Impact of membrane configuration on fouling in anaerobic membrane bioreactors, Journal of Membrane Science, 382 (1-2) 41-49.
- McAdam EJ, Ansari I, Cruddas P, Martin-Garcia I, Lester JN, Pursell N, Cartmell E & Jefferson B (2011) Waste stabilisation ponds for anaerobic wastewater treatment, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 165 (3) 201-213.
- McAdam EJ, Cartmell E & Judd SJ (2011) Comparison of dead-end and continuous filtration conditions in a denitrification membrane bioreactor, Journal of Membrane Science, 369 (1-2) 167-173.
- McAdam EJ, Luffler D, Martin-Garcia N, Eusebi AL, Lester JN, Jefferson B & Cartmell E (2011) Integrating anaerobic processes into wastewater treatment, Water Science and Technology, 63 (7) 1459-1466.
- McAdam EJ, Eusebi AL & Judd SJ (2010) Evaluation of intermittent air sparging in an anoxic denitrification membrane bioreactor, Water Science and Technology, 61 (9) 2219-2225.
- McAdam EJ, Pawlett M & Judd SJ (2010) Fate and impact of organics in an immersed membrane bioreactor applied to brine denitrification and ion exchange regeneration, Water Research, 44 (1) 69-76.
- McAdam EJ, Bagnall JP, Soares A, Koh YK, Chiu TY, Scrimshaw MD, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2010) Fate of Alkylphenolic Compounds during Activated Sludge Treatment: Impact of Loading and Organic Composition., Environmental Science and Technology, 45 (1) 248-254.
- McAdam EJ, Bagnall JP, Koh YKK, Chiu TY, Pollard S, Scrimshaw MD, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2010) Removal of steroid estrogens in carbonaceous and nitrifying activated sludge processes, Chemosphere, 81 (1) 1-6.
- McAdam EJ & Judd SJ (2008) Optimisation of dead-end filtration conditions for an immersed anoxic membrane bioreactor, Journal of Membrane Science, 325 (2) 940-946.
- McAdam EJ & Judd SJ (2008) Immersed membrane bioreactors for nitrate removal from drinking water: cost and feasibility, Desalination, 231 (1-3) 52-60.
- McAdam EJ & Judd SJ (2008) Biological treatment of ion-exchange brine regenerant for re-use: A review, Separation and Purification Technology, 62 (2) 264-272.
- Mcadam E & Judd SJ (2007) Denitrification from drinking water using a membrane bioreactor: Chemical and biochemical feasibility, Water Research, 41 (18) 4242-4250.
- McAdam EJ, Judd SJ, Cartmell E & Jefferson B (2007) Influence of substrate on fouling in anoxic immersed membrane bioreactors, Water Research, 41 (17) 3859-3867.
- Mcadam E & Judd SJ (2007) Denitrification from drinking water using a membrane bioreactor: chemical and biochemical feasibility, Water Research, 41 (18) 4242-4250.
- McAdam EJ & Judd SJ (2006) A review of membrane bioreactor potential for nitrate removal from drinking water, Desalination, 196 (1-3) 135-148.
- McAdam E, Judd SJ, Gildemeister R, Drews A & Kraume M (2005) Critical analysis of submerged membrane sequencing batch reactor operating conditions, Water Research, 39 (16) 4011-4019.
- Adams RJ, Barrington D, Collins M, Hutchings P, Ihasz O, Kolios A, McAdam E, Moreno M, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Vyakarnam, S & Williams L. (2018) A Scoping Review of Business Model Configurations for Diffusing High-Tech Innovations at the Bottom of the Pyramid. In: BAM2018 Conference, University of the West of England, 4-6 September 2018.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic life cycle assessment of the nano membrane toilet. In: ICWERS 2018: 20th International Conference on Waste-to-Energy Technologies and Sustainability, Rome, 5-6 March 2018.