The aim of the course is to provide delegates with a range of skills and key insights into the design of airport infrastructure including both airside and passenger terminals. Read more Read less
You will also be introduced to the appropriate and relevant regulatory requirements and to commonly adopted international design standards. The course also acts as a forum where the delegates can informally discuss and explore key issues.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost£1,700 The course fee includes refreshments and lunch during the day. Accommodation is not included and must be booked separately. Concessions available
Course structureWorkshops will also be arranged so that delegates may discuss and evaluate a series of airport design challenges. All short course delegates will receive a Certificate of Attendance
What you will learn
The Airport Design module is intended to introduce key principles of airport design within a contemporary challenging environment of airport commercialisation. Leading industry experts and Cranfield lecturers support the module leader in his ambition to provide a holistic view about the paradigm shift from airports as being isolated technical infrastructures to becoming integrated part within the urban environment.
The course provides an update of current design practice on an international basis. The course will be particularly useful for those with limited experience in the design of specific areas of airport infrastructure and also for those who are seeking to refresh their knowledge. The course is the only one of its type currently being offered in the UK.
- Airside Design and Capacity
- Aircraft Performance
- Passenger Terminal Design
- Passenger Terminal Capacity
- Green Design
- Pavement Design
- Simulation and Airport Design
- Case Studies
A typical timetable for this course is available to give you an idea of how this course is structured. Please note that this is not the actual timetable for the upcoming course and is subject to change.
Who should attend
The course will be of value and interest to:
• Architects and engineers employed in airport planning and design
• Airport managers
• Airline managers with responsibility for liaison with airport operators
• Government employees with an interest in, or responsibility for, airport operations and safety regulation.
This short course is a module within the MSc in Airport Planning and Management which is accredited by The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK).
The course consists of a programme of lectures delivered by the Department of Air Transport faculty and visiting speakers representing the airport industry, for example, consultants and airports etc.
- Henrik Rothe, Senior Lecturer Air Transport Management, Cranfield University, Centre for Air Transport Management
- Dr Tom Budd, Lecturer, Cranfield University, Centre for Air Transport Management
- Andy Foster, Senior Lecturer, Centre for Air Transport Management
- Graeme Power-Hosking, Bechtel: A multi-skilled aviation professional with an experience of both consultancy and airport environments, planning, managing and delivering projects to international
- Patrick Ziegler, MML: Senior Airport Planner in Mott MacDonald's global aviation consulting team. Master Planning and Airfield Planning specialist with prime experience in working for world-class airports of all sizes.
- Geert Boosten, Hogeschool van Amsterdam: Drawing from extensive experience as Director Corporate Strategy and Research at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Airport Geert is heading the Aviation Department & Lectoraat Aviation Management at HvA.
- Ulf Klose, M2P: Cross-disciplinary aviation expert combining extensive knowledge from airport real estate development to airline and terminal processing.
Concessions10% discount available when booking three or more places.
Accommodation options and prices
Accommodation is available at Mitchell Hall which is located on campus. All rooms are en-suite and bookings are on a half-board basis from Sunday to Friday. If you would like to book accommodation for this short course at Mitchell Hall, please indicate this on the registration form and we will arrange this for you.
Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.For further location and travel details
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.