Areas of expertise
- Aviation Management & Operations
Richard joined the Department of Air Transport in 2007 following nine years aviation experience with the former UK airport operator BAA at Gatwick and Heathrow airports in London. His roles there included corporate research, terminal product management, terminal development, and operational duty management (both airside and landside).
He graduated from Cranfield with an MSc in Air Transport Management in 1997 and prior to this worked as a project manager for London Underground developing a new station for the Jubilee Line Extension Project. He studied for his first degree at Leeds and Pennsylvania State universities and following the award of MEng in Architectural Engineering he worked for four years in the transport planning department of the Mott Macdonald Group.
Richard is a chartered member of the Institute of Logistics and Transport and a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Supervision of postgraduate and doctoral research students
- Leader for airport operations and airport strategic planning MSc modules
- Postgraduate teaching on other departmental modules
- Continuing professional development taught courses
- Provision of external short courses, research and consultancy
- Research interest in airport surface access.
- Rwanda Airports Company
- Kenya Airports Authority
- Heathrow Airport, UK
- Vienna Airport, Austria
- Amadeus, France
- ANA Aeropuertos, Portugal
- Eurocontrol, Brussels
- City of Derry Airport, UK
Articles In Journals
- Chaouk M, Pagliari R & Moxon R (2019) The impact of national macro-environment exogenous variables on airport efficiency, Journal of Air Transport Management, 82 (January) Article No. 101740.
- Anuar NK, Pagliari R & Moxon R (2017) An evaluation of airport wayfinding and signage on senior driver behaviour and safety of airport road access design, Journal of Air Transport Studies, 8 (1) 108-129.
- Aurar NK, Rohafiz S, Pagliari R & Moxon R (2017) The impact of airport road wayfinding on senior driver behaviour, Journal of Technology and Operations Management, 12 (2) 54-62.
- Moxon R (2016) Trends in airport surface access in the London multi-airport system, Journal of Air Transport Studies, 7 (1) 1-28.
- Ryley T, Elmirghani J, Budd T, Miyoshi C, Mason K, Moxon R, Ahmed I, Qazi B & Zanni A (2013) Sustainable development and airport surface access: the role of technological innovation and behavioural change, Sustainability, 5 (4) 1617-1631.
- Grundy M & Moxon R (2013) The effectiveness of airline crisis management on brand protection: a case study of British Airways, Journal of Air Transport Management, 28 55-61.
- Bradley A, Pagliari R & Moxon R (2012) Determination of baggage build opportunity and unit loading device storage requirements witihin domestic and international airport baggage hall operations, Journal of Airport Management, 6 (4) 358-372.