The aim of the course is to provide an overview of Live, Constructive and Virtual Simulation for those members of the defence community who require an introduction to this area of technology.
At a glance
- 05 - 09 Feb 2024
- 10 - 14 Jun 2024
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
- Cost£1,925 Concessions available
Course structureThis 5-day course consists of a mix of formal instruction, discussion periods and hands-on exercises and demonstrations; as well as presentations by external speakers with practical experience in the development and application of simulation technology.
What you will learn
Attending the course will:
- Provide you with an understanding of the terminology used in the area of Modelling and Simulation
- Enable you to understand where Modelling and Simulation works well and where it does not
- Introduce those aspects of projects that may benefit from Modelling and Simulation from the Concept stage of CADMID (Concept Assessment Development Manufacturing In-Service Disposal), through to Delivery and In-service (Training).
- Basic terminology, techniques and technology currently employed in simulation
- The application of simulation across all operational domains (land, sea and air) to areas such as military training, operational analysis, rapid prototyping, doctrine development, mission planning
- Consideration of costs, limitations and trade-offs
- An overview of current simulation capabilities in the UK, Europe and the United States including – research and development (in both the public and private sectors), procurement, current users, future plans.
Who should attend
Suited to those who manage or work with technical specialists in Modelling and Simulation, or those who wish to know more about how modelling and simulation is used by the MOD and wider defence industry.
No formal requirements for the short course.
External speakers change according to availability but have previously included representatives of:
- Saab Training Systems
- Systems Engineering and Assessment (SEA) Ltd
- University of Birmingham (Human Factors)
- Royal Navy's Technology Based Training Unit (RN TBTU)
- MOD's Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) organisation
- RAF HQ Air Command
- Army HQ Land Forces
- Army Recruiting and Training Directorate
ConcessionsA limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.