Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
The module is delivered as a 5-day face-to-face taught course comprising a mixture of academic lectures, visiting speakers from MOD and defence industry, laboratory practicals and group discussions.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- DurationFive days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
Cost£1,310 - Short Course for Credit fee
£1,750 - Standalone Short Course fee Concessions available
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- describe the place and utility of simulation based experimentation and trials within defence core business,
- critically assess the design, planning and execution of simulation based experimentation and trials and the analysis of results,
- critically assess the impact of experimentation and trial constraints on the data collection and analysis methods used,
- using simple operational research techniques, calculate appropriate ways to combine or balance multiple variables and benefits in a simulation based experimentation and trials context,
- appropriately quantify and graph the results of an experiment or trial and statistically analyse these results in relatively simple cases,
- develop effective methods to design, perform, analyse and report a simulation based experiment or trial.
- experimental design including sampling and ethical considerations,
- methodology and analysis of statistical data (inference, ANOVA and regression),
- definition, execution, analysis, present and critical assessment of simulation based experimentation and trials reports.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
When taken as a Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the Defence Simulation and Modelling MSc.
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attend
Students must have successfully completed either Introduction to Defence Simulation or Simulation Employment Training in order to take this as a Short Course for Credit. There are no prerequisites if taken as a Standalone Short Course.
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
There are limited places on these modules. You may not receive an offer until places have been confirmed, usually 1 to 2 weeks before the start date.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
For further location and travel details
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.