Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Due to the nature of the subject matter in this Module, security clearance may be required.
This course will equip you with the awareness and ability to employ cyber deception in both active network defence and computer network exploitation.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days face to face learning (with additional distance learning to be completed during 7 weeks)
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- Distinguish the technical structures of information systems that facilitate successful cyber deception,
- Determine the human factors associated with attacking and defending computer systems exploiting principles of cyber deception.
- Formulate the technical basis for a successful cyber deception,
- Evaluate the threats and opportunities necessary to conduct a risk assessment for the use of cyber deception,
- Critically appraise the use of cyber deception in relation to concepts of Effects Based Operations and deterrence.
Core contentThis module will address this important emerging discipline by moving beyond established practices of passive network defence such as firewalls and anti-virus patching. Consideration will be given to both the psychological and the technical aspects of exploiting deceptive assets on a network within a wider deception campaign that leverages them.
This module equips you with a critical understanding of the opportunities and vulnerabilities you face when considering the issues of managing deceptive activities to create active and proactive network defence capabilities.
The module will emphasise the need for a systematic, human factors based approach to both technical and enterprise risk management in this area.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attend
Students must have successfully completed Foundations of Cyber in order to take this as a Short Course for Credit.
ConcessionsA limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
Location and travel
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.