Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
To enable participants to analyse and explain current conceptual thinking regarding the nature of terrorism, its origins, motivations and manifestations, together with an in-depth knowledge and critical awareness of the counter-terrorism approaches and intelligence approaches and strategies adopted by states. Within the context of counterterrorism, the module also examines the role of intelligence in combating terrorism, the relationship between intelligence and secrecy and its impact, as well as the ethical issues in the use of intelligence.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
£670 - Short Course for Credit Fee
£1,750 - Standalone Short Course Fee
What you will learn
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
Core content• Definitional issues,
• Conceptual approaches to terrorism,
• The origins and use of terrorism throughout history,
• The nature and causes of terrorism,
• Understanding terrorists: the origins, motivations and manifestations of terrorist groups.terrorist organisations and networks,
• The process of radicalisation,
• Assessing the success and failure of terrorist groups,
• Counterterrorism approaches and strategies: assumptions, aims, frameworks and principles,
• Evaluate the purpose and structures of intelligence function,
• Identify and assess categories of intelligence. (sources, disciplines, organisations),
• Assess the influence of culture, history, power, and human factors upon the effectiveness of intelligence. assumptions, aims, frameworks and principles,
• CT strategies, globally, regionally and nationally,
• The CT ‘toolkit’.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
After successful completion of this course 10 credits can be put towards the Counterterrorism MSc or Counterterrorism, Risk Management and Resilience MSc
Cranfield credits are available for this short course which you can put towards selected Cranfield degrees. Find out more about short course credit points
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
How to apply
To apply for this course please use the online application form.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.