Contact Professor Stan Maklan
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758022
- Email: email@example.com
Stan began his professional career with Unilever Canada, subsequently moving with that firm to the UK and Sweden, where he was Marketing Director of its Toiletries business. He then spent 10 years as a management consultant (customer relationship management and online marketing) with global leaders in information technology: Computer Sciences Corporation and Sapient. He established CSC UK's Customer Relationship Management practice and then moved to a role within its European Consulting and global management research unit (Research Services). In that role, he started to work with Cranfield's Centre for Strategic Marketing and Sales and completed a PhD.
Stan joined Cranfield full time in 2006 and was appointed Professor of Marketing & Technology in 2016. He is currently Director of the Centre for Strategic Marketing & Sales. He has co-authored best-selling management books about Competing on Value and Customer Relationship Management. He was awarded honours for academic excellence on the MBA from the University of Western Ontario – now Ivey School of Management and has a Bachelor of Science in Economics from the Université de Montréal. He is a reasonable French speaker and (lapsed) Swedish speaker. Learn more at stanmaklan.com
Stan Maklan's research focuses upon Digital Transformation, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Customer Experience (CX), and Marketing Leadership. Collaborations with talented partners take him into the areas of ethical consumption, making sense of big data and development of B2B solutions. He is particularly interested in advancing the practice of marketing; how should firms develop the necessary capabilities to respond to changing markets and technology?
Stan leads the Centre’s open executive programmes: Marketing Director’s Programme, Customer Experience Strategy and Marketing Strategy and Planning. He teaches the core marketing module on our full-time MBA programme and Big Data Marketing Analytics on the MSc Marketing. He supervises master’s theses and PhD students.
Stan has worked on executive education with many of Cranfield’s clients including: EdF, France Telecom, Norwich Union, Arcelor, EMC, Mitsui, Jewsons, Novus Leisure, New Balance and Fiberweb. His private clients included: RBS, Acer, BT, CSC, MHR, Lewmar, Cofely and LRQA.
Articles In Journals
- Antonetti P, Crisafulli B & Maklan S (2021) When doing good will not save us: revisiting the buffering effect of CSR following service failures, Psychology and Marketing, 38 (9) 1608-1627.
- Antonetti P, Crisafulli B & Maklan S (2018) Too good to be true? Boundary conditions to the use of downward social comparisons in service recovery, Journal of Service Research, 21 (4) 438-455.
- Nyman J, Pilbeam C, Baines P & Maklan S (2018) Identifying the roles of university fundraisers in securing transformational gifts: Lessons from Canada, Studies in Higher Education, 43 (7) 1227-1240.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S (2018) Identity bias in negative word of mouth following irresponsible corporate behavior, Journal of Business Ethics, 149 (4) 1005-1023.
- Maklan S, Antonetti P & Whitty S (2017) A better way to manage customer experience: lessons from the Royal Bank of Scotland, California Management Review, 59 (2) 92-115.
- Antonetti, P & Maklan S (2017) Concerned protesters: from compassion to retaliation, European Journal of Marketing, 51 (5/6) 983-1010.
- Windler K, Juttner U, Michel S, Maklan S & Macdonald EK (2017) Identifying the right solution customers: A managerial methodology, Industrial Marketing Management, 60 (January) 173-186.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S. (2016) Hippies, greenies, and tree huggers: how the 'warmth' stereotype hinders the adoption of responsible brands, Psychology and Marketing, 33 (10) 796-813.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S (2016) Social identification and corporate irresponsibility: A model of stakeholder punitive intentions, British Journal of Management, 27 (3) 583-605.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S (2015) An extended model of moral outrage at corporate social irresponsibility, Journal of Business Ethics, 135 (3) 429-444.
- Maklan S, Peppard J & Klaus P (2015) Show me the money Improving our understanding of how organizations generate return from technology-led marketing change, European Journal of Marketing, 49 (3-4) 561-595.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S (2015) How Categorisation Shapes the Attitude-Behaviour Gap in Responsible Consumption, International Journal of Market Research, 57 (1) 51-72.
- Maklan S, Antonetti P & Knox S (2014) Building a sustainable bank: the case of GTBank of Nigeria, Thunderbird International Business Review, 56 (5) 461-473.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S (2014) Exploring Postconsumption Guilt and Pride in the Context of Sustainability, Psychology and Marketing, 31 (9) 717-735.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S (2014) Feelings that Make a Difference: How Guilt and Pride Convince Consumers of the Effectiveness of Sustainable Consumption Choices, Journal of Business Ethics, 124 (1) 117-134.
- Jüttner U, Schaffner D, Windler K & Maklan S (2013) Customer service experiences: Developing and applying a sequential incident laddering technique, European Journal of Marketing, 47 (5/6) 738-769.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2013) Towards a Better Measure of Customer Experience, International Journal of Market Research, 55 (2) 227-246.
- Maklan S & Dimitriu R (2012) Media focus still dominates strategy, Market Leader (Q4) 16-17.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2012) EXQ: A Multiple-Item Scale for Assessing Service Experience, Journal of Service Management, 23 (1) 5-33.
- Juttner U & Maklan S (2011) Supply chain resilience in the global financial crisis: an empirical study, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 16 (4) 246-259.
- Maklan S & Klaus P (2011) Customer Experience: Are we Measuring the Right Things?, International Journal of Market Research, 53 (6) 771-792.
- Maklan S, Knox S, Peppard J & Knox S (2011) Why CRM fails - and how to fix it, MIT Sloan Management Review, 52 (4) 77-85.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2011) Bridging the Gap for Destination Extreme Sports: A Model of Sports Tourism Customer Experience, Journal of Marketing Management, 27 (13-14) 1341-1365.
- Maklan S & Knox S (2009) Dynamic capabilities: the missing link in CRM investments, European Journal of Marketing, 43 (11-12) 1392-1410.
- Maklan S, Knox S & Michel S (2009) The Guaranty Trust Bank of Nigeria: From niche positioning to mass-market branding, Thunderbird International Business Review, 51 (4) 385-401.
- Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2008) New trends in innovation and customer relationship management: a challenge for market researchers., International Journal of Market Research, 50 (2) 221-240.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2007) The role of brands in a service-dominated world, Journal of Brand Management, 15 (2) 115-123.
- Knox S, Maklan S & French P (2005) Corporate Social Responsibility: Exploring Stakeholder Relationships and Programme Reporting across Leading FTSE Companies., Journal of Business Ethics, 61 (1) 7-28.
- Knox S & Maklan S (2005) Guaranty trust bank of Nigeria: Building a trusted brand in financial services, Thunderbird International Business Review, 47 (6) 737-755.
- Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2005) Using Real Options to Help Build the Business Case for CRM Investment, Long Range Planning, 38 (4) 393-410.
- Knox S & Maklan S (2004) Corporate social responsibility: moving beyond investment towards measuring outcomes, European Management Journal, 22 (5) 508-516.
- Ryals L & Maklan S (2000) The Business Case for CRM: What IS Needs to Know, CSC Foundation Research Journal.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Thomson K (1999) Pan-Company Marketing and Process Management, Irish Marketing Review, 12 (1) 36-45.
- Knox SD & Maklan S (1998) Brand Marketing in Transition, Journal of Brand Management, 6 (1) 50-56.
- Maklan S & Knox S (1997) Reinventing the brand: bridging the gap between customer and brand value, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 6 (2) 119-129.
- Antonetti P, Crisafulli B & Maklan S (2018) Revisiting CSR in Service Failures: A Cause-Dependent Buffer (Forthcoming). In: AMA SERVSIG 2018 - Paris, IÉSEG School of Management, Paris, 14-16 June 2018.
- Maklan S, Antonetti P & Crisafulli B (2017) "Too Good To Be True". Revisiting Downward Social Comparisons in Service Recovery. In: QUIS - 15th International Research Symposium on Service Excellence in Management, Porto, 12 June 2017.
- Chapman S & Maklan S (2016) Effects of Personalised Food Advergames on Children’s Affective and Conative Responses. In: BAM2016 Conference: Thriving in turbulent times, Newcastle University, 6 September 2016.
- Windler K, Jüttner U, Hottiger D, Michel S & Maklan S (2015) Business solutions - a value concept. In: EMAC 2015: 44th Annual Conference, KU Leuven and Vlerick Business School, Leuven, 26-29 May 2015.
- Maklan S, Tjahjono B & Jüttner U (2015) Making Sense of the Technology Revolution in Service Marketing. In: QUIS14 Service Excellence in Management: Collaborative Innovations in the Network Environment, Shanghai, 18 June 2015.
- Antonetti P & Maklan S (2015) National identity and corporate social irresponsibility: The role of sympathy and moral outrage in explaining retaliatory behaviours. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Limerick, 7-9 July 2015.
- Chapman S, Maklan S, Nairn A, Dimitriu R & Macdonald E (2014) Effects of customized advergames on children's persuasion knowledge, attitudes, and food preferences. In: ISM-Open Conference 2014, Milton Keynes, 29 September 2014.
- Maklan S & Antonetti P (2014) Moral outrage at unethical corporate behaviour. In: EMAC 43rd Annual Conference, Valencia, 3-6 June 2014.
- Maklan S, Peppard J & Klaus P (2014) Assessing the Benefits of Technology Led Change: Can Marketing Learn from IS Scholarship. In: AMA Servisg 2014, Thessaloniki, 13-15 June 2014.
- Antonnetti P & Maklan S (2013) Guilt and Pride in Self-Regulation: An Exploration of Sustainability and Ethical Consumption. In: 42nd European Marketing Academy Conference, 2013, Istanbul, 4 June 2013.
- Antonnetti P & Maklan S (2013) Moral Emotions and Self-Regulation: An Investigation in the Case of Ethical Consumption. In: European Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, Barcelona, 4 July 2013.
- Maklan S, Peppard J & Klaus P (2013) Technology Led Marketing Change: Assessing Investment to Ensure that it Realizes its Full Benefits. In: QUIS: The 13th International Research Symposium on Service Excellence in Management, Karlstad, 10 June 2013.
- Antonnetti P & Maklan S (2012) An Exploratory Study of how Emotions Influence Consumers’ Motivation to Purchase Ethical Products. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2012, Southampton, 2 July 2012.
- Klaus P, Edvardsson B & Maklan S (2012) Developing a Typology for Customer Experience Practice. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2012, Southampton, 2 July 2012.
- Klaus P, Edvardsson B & Maklan S (2012) The Next Competitive Battleground? The Effects of Customer Service Experience on Profitability.. In: AMA SERVSIG International Research Conference, Helsinki, 7 June 2012.
- Klaus P, Edvardsson B & Maklan S (2012) Developing a typology of customer experience management practice - from preservers to vanguards. In: 12th International Research Conference in Service Management , La Londe les Maures, 29 May 2012.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2011) EXQ: A Multiple-Item Scale for Assessing Customer Experience In The Emerging Experience Marketing Model. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2011, Liverpool, 5 July 2011.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2010) EXQ - An Empirical Construct of Customer Experience Quality: Exploring the Triggers of Repurchasing Behaviour. In: AMA Frontiers in Services Conference, Karlstad, 10 June 2010.
- Maklan S, Juttner U & Klaus P (2009) Customer experiences: A conceptual framework and measurement approach. In: European Academy of Marketing, Nantes.
- Maklan S, Chan F & Klaus P (2009) Building a performance assessment system for evaluating investments in CRM. In: European Academy of Marketing, Nantes.
- Knox S & Maklan S (2009) Sustainability: Developing Stakeholder Relationships Across Leading FTSE Companies. In: 5th International Conference on Economic, Cultural and Social Sustainability, Mauritius.
- Maklan S, Klaus P & Juttner U (2008) Customer experience engineering: A managerial framework for an emerging service concept. In: SERVSIG International Research Conference, Liverpool.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2008) A Conceptual Model of Customer Experience Quality and the Development of a Scale for Customer Experience Quality (EXQ). In: ANZAM Annual International Conference, Auckland.
- Maklan S, Knox S, Knox S & Ryals L (2008) The Use of Action Research in Marketing Strategy Development.. In: 37th European Marketing Academy Conference (EMAC 2008), Brighton, 27-30 May 2008.
- Wilson H, Baines P & Maklan S (2007) Contemporary practice in actioning market segmentation. In: Academy of Marketing SIG on Market Segmentation Workshop, Milton Keynes.
- Maklan S & Knox S (2007) Employer branding in the services sector. In: 1st Biannual International Conference on Strategic Developments in Services Marketing, Chios.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Knox S (2007) Corporate Social Responsibility: Why do CSR Programmes have such a low Impact on Business Decision-Making?. In: European Marketing Academy Conference, Brighton.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2007) Building a Better Foundation - Developing a Better Predictor of Consumer Behaviour than SERVQUAL. In: Academy of Marketing annual conference, Egham, 6 July 2007.
- Klaus P & Maklan S (2007) There Must be more than SERVQUAL - Towards a Theory of Predicting Consumer Behaviour Based on the Concept of Experience Quality. In: European Academy of Marketing annual conference, Reykjavik, 22 May 2007.
- Knox S & Maklan S (2006) How effectively do FTSE4GooD companies engage with stakeholders in developing their corporate social responsibility programmes?. In: EMAC Annual Conference, Athens.
- Knox S & Maklan S (2005) Corporate social responsibility programmes and their impact on business decision making. In: ANZMAC 2005 Conference, Fremantle.
- Knox S & Maklan S (2004) Corporate social responsibility: building a framework for performance measurement. In: PMA 2004, Edinburgh.
- Knox S & Maklan S (2004) Corporate and social responsibility: moving beyond investment towards measured outcomes. In: AM Conference, Cheltenham.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Ryals L (2003) Managing CRM Investments as a Market-Based Asset rather than for Cash Flow. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Birmingham.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Ryals L (2002) Consumer purchasing styles and brand loyalty: empirical evidence from product and service markets. In: EMAC 2002 Conference, Braga.
- Knox S, Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2002) Developing the metrics of brand loyalty. In: PMA 2002 Conference, Boston.
- Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2002) Extending the marketing concept using resource-based theory. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Nottingham.
- Knox S, Ryals L, Thompson K & Maklan S (2000) Developing Relationship Marketing through the Implementation of Customer Relationship Management Technology. In: IMP 2000 Conference, Bath.
- Knox S & Maklan S (1997) Re-Inventing the Concept of Brand. In: Business Process Redesign Symposium, Cranfield.
- Knox S, Mitchell H, Thompson K & Maklan S (1997) Brand Attributes in a Business-to-Business Context. In: Marketing without Borders. 1st Academy of Marketing annual conference (31st Marketing Education Group conference), Manchester, 8-10 July 1997.
- Knox S, Mitchell H, Thompson K & Maklan S (1997) Empirical Insights into Johnson and Lewin's Risk Continuum in Organisational Buying Behaviour. In: Adding Value through Marketing. Academy of Marketing 31st annual conference, Sheffield.
- Buttle F & Maklan S (2015) Customer relationship management: concepts and technologies. Abingdon, Oxfordshire: Routledge, ed. 3.
- McDonald M, Mouncey P & Maklan S (2014) Marketing value metrics: How to measure marketing effectiveness. London: Kogan Page, ed. 2.
- Ryals L, Abdollahi S, Maklan S & Wilson H (2012) Implementing Sustainable Marketing. In: Cranfield on Corporate Sustainability, Sheffield: Greenleaf, p. 133-148.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Knox S (2010) Strategic Brand Management - A Process-based Approach. In: Process Based Marketing. Southern G, Mouthino L (ed.), Cengage Learning.
- Knox S, Maklan S, Peppard J, Payne A, Knox S & Ryals L (2003) CRM: perspectives from the market place. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Thompson K (2002) Building the Unique Organisation Value Proposition. In: The Expressive Organisation. Schultz M, Hatch M J, Larsen M (ed.), Oxford University Press, ed. 2.
- Maklan S (2002) Defining the value proposition. In: Exploiting CRM. Molineux P (ed.), Hodder & Stoughton.
- Maklan S (2002) Building the business case. In: Exploiting CRM. Molineux P (ed.), Hodder & Stoughton.
- Maklan S (2002) Where's the one-to-one future?. In: Exploiting CRM. Molineux P (ed.), Hodder & Stoughton.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Thompson K (2000) Building the unique organisation value proposition. In: The expressive organisation. Schultz M, Hatch M J, Larsen M (ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 138-156, ed. 1.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Knox S (1998) Competing on Value: bridging the gap between brand and customer value. United Kingdom: Pitman.