Contact Professor Daniel Prior
Professor Daniel Prior recently joined
Cranfield University. Previously, he was Senior Lecturer in Management at the
University of New South Wales, Australia. Prior to re-joining academia in 2009,
Dr Prior held roles in industries such as IT, Defence and Professional Services
for companies including Acer Computer Australia, Tenix Defence, KPMG and Orima
Research. Dr Prior is a past board member of SIDS and Kids ACT and Red Nose
Ltd, both charities concerned with sudden infant death and infant loss. Dr
Prior has also been a member of the UNSW Academic Board and the UNSW Canberra
Board. Dr Prior’s teaching and research focuses on how inter-firm relationships
contribute value to exchange partners at the individual, dyadic and network
levels. His research appears in academic journals such as Industrial
Marketing Management, the Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing
and the Journal of General Management, among others.
Professor Prior is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Professor Prior is also a
Fellow and Certified Practicing Marketer of the Australian Marketing Institute,
a Fellow of the Academy of Marketing Science, a Member of the American
Marketing Association and a Member of the Academy of Management (USA).
Professor Prior obtained his PhD in 2008 from Macquarie Graduate School of Management at Macquarie University, Australia.
Professor Daniel Prior is currently engaged as the Director of the Executive
MBA and Professor of Strategic Sales Manager. Professor Prior is also pursuing research that explores the effects of
buyer-supplier relationships on economic outcomes. Key projects investigate the
role of interpersonal ties in influencing relationship outcomes in the
Australian Defence industry, the importance of information control on
procurement success, and on developing business intelligence tools to improve
relationship management decisions. Professor Prior’s teaching involves executive
courses in pricing and several others in relation to B2B relationships.
Articles In Journals
- Prior DD, Keranen J & Koskela S (2018) Sensemaking, sensegiving and absorptive capacity in complex procurements, Journal of Business Research, 88 (July) 79-90.
- Marcos J & Prior DD (2017) Buyer-Supplier Relationship Decline: A Norms-Based Perspective, Journal of Business Research, 76 (July) 14-23.
- Prior DD (2016) Incorporating Exchange Governance in Service-Dominant Logic: Lessons from Transaction Cost Economics, Marketing Theory, 16 (4) 553-560.
- Prior DD & Marcos-Ceuvas J (2016) Value co-destruction in inter-firm relationships: the impact of actor engagement styles, Marketing Theory, 16 (4) 533-552.
- Prior DD (2016) The Impact of Service Worker Personal Resources on Relationship Quality in Business Solutions, Industrial Marketing Management, 53 (February) 216-225.
- Prior DD, Mazanov J, Meacheam D, Heaslip G & Hanson J (2016) Attitude, Digital Literacy and Self Efficacy: Flow-on Effects for Online Learning Behaviour, Internet and Higher Education, 29 (April) 91-97.
- Prior DD (2016) Boundary Spanning and Customer Service Styles in Business Solutions Implementation, Industrial Marketing Management, 56 (July) 120-129.
- Chang E & Prior DD (2016) Towards an Integrated System for Army Logistics Management, Australian Army Journal, XIII (2) 105-120.
- Prior DD, O'Reilly N, Mazanov J & Huybers T (2014) The Impact of Scandal on Sport Consumption: A Conceptual Framework for Future Research, International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 14 (1/2/3/4).
- Prior DD (2013) Supplier Representative Activities and Customer Perceived Value in Complex Industrial Solutions, Industrial Marketing Management, 42 (8) 1192-1201.
- Prior DD & Miller LM (2012) Webethnography: Towards a Typology for Quality in Research Design, International Journal of Market Research, 54 (4) 503-520.
- Prior DD (2012) The Effects of Buyer-Supplier Relationships on Buyer Competitiveness, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 27 (2) 100-114.
- Prior DD (2010) Reconciling Managerial and Economic Views in Competitive Advantage Research, Management Online Review.
- Kong E & Prior DD (2008) An Intellectual Capital Perspective of Competitive Advantage in Non-Profit Organisations, International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 13 (2) 119-128.
- Prior DD (2006) Integrating Stakeholder Management and Relationship Management: Contributions from the Relational View of the Firm, Journal of General Management, 32 (2) 17-30.
- Dhawan P & Prior DD (2017) Internal Branding and Leader-Member Exchange: Role of Cultural Capital in Employee's Service Delivery Behaviour in Health Care Sector. In: Academy of Marketing Science - World Marketing Congress, Christchurch, 27 June - 1 July 2017.
- Karunasena VGGG & Prior DD (2017) Gaining Supply Chain Influence Through Actor Investments. In: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Melbourne, 4-6 December 2017.
- Prior DD (2016) Boundary Spanner Ambidexterity in Business Solutions: Considering Resource Efficiency, Perceived Value and Satisfaction for the Supplier Firm. In: American Marketing Association Winter Educators Conference 2016 - Orlando, Las Vegas, 26-28 February 2016.
- Chang E, Prior DD & Cannon S (2016) Intelligent situational awareness powered by internet of things and human-centred recommender systems. In: 2nd International Conference on Wireless and Telecommunication, Dubai, 21-22 April 2016.
- Memon T, Prior DD & Change E (2016) Optimizing Business Intelligence Through Behavioural Mining. In: 24th National Conference of the Australian Society for Operations Research, Canberra, 16-18 November 2016.
- Chang E, Cannon C, Threlfall W, Prior DD & Memon T (2016) Faceplate - A Cognitive Decision Support System Powered by User Behaviour Mining. In: 9th International Conference on Intelligent Information Processing, Melbourne, 18-21 November 2016.
- Keränen J, Prior DD & Koskela S (2015) A Cultural Perspective of Customer Value in Business Solutions Procurement. In: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2015, Sydney, 30 November - 2 December 2015.
- Keränen J, Prior DD & Koskela S (2015) How do Customers Approach Solution Procurement? An Exploratory Study in the Mining Industry. In: The 31st Annual IMP Group Conference 2015, Kolding, 25-29 August 2015.
- Abeza G, O'Reilly J, Mazanov J, Huybers T & Prior DD (2015) Off-the-Field Scandals in Professional Sports and Impacts on Consumers Brand Engagement. In: North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Ottawa, Ontario, 2-6 June 2015.
- Prior DD (2015) Purchase Inertia: Habitual and Impulsive Purchase Decisions in Business Markets. In: Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference 2015, Denver, 12-14 May 2015.
- Prior DD, Mazanov J, O'Reilly N & Abeza G (2015) The effects of scandal on purchase intention. In: Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference 2015, Denver, 12-14 May 2015.
- Abeza G, O'Reilly N, Mazanov J, Huybers T & Prior DD (2014) Framing of Off-the-Field Scandals in Professional Sports: The Case of the National Football League. In: 22nd European Association for Sport Management Conference 2014, Coventry, 9-12 December 2014.
- Prior DD (2014) Value vs. Satisfaction: Exploring Activity Trade-Off in Complex Solutions. In: American Marketing Association Winter Educators Conference 2014 - Orlando, Orlando, Florida, 21-23 February 2014.
- Prior DD (2013) A Social Identity Perspective of Customer Value Heterogeneity in Complex Industrial Solutions. In: Academy of Marketing Science - World Marketing Congress - Melbourne, Melbourne, 17-20 July 2013.
- Prior DD, Drnevich P & Jifri A (2013) Implications of Competence and Governance Strategies for Entrepreneurial Growth. In: Academy of Management Annual Conference 2013 - Orlando, Orlando, Florida, 9-13 August 2013.
- Marcos-Cuevas J, Prior DD & Enz M (2013) Value Co-Destruction in Complex B2B Relations: Conceptualization and Mechanisms. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2013 - California, Monterey, California, 14-18 May 2013.
- Prior DD, Drnevich P & Jifri A (2013) Implications of Competence and Governance Strategies for Entrepreneurial Growth. In: Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research Exchange Conference - 2013, Brisbane, 6-8 February 2013.
- Sun J & Prior DD (2012) Evaluating the Relationship Between Stock Exchange Volatility and Macroeconomic Indicators in the Chinese Context: The Case of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange. In: 3rd Asian Business and Management Conference - Japan, Osaka, 16-18 November 2012.
- Barber E & Prior DD (2012) Supply Chain Dominance: Examining Entry and Exit Barriers. In: 10th Australia & New Zealand Academy of Management Operations, Supply Chain & Services Management Symposium 2012 - Melbourne, Melbourne, 14-15 June 2012.
- Prior DD (2012) OK, we have the Resources, but what Next? A Conceptual Model of the Effects of Project Team Activities on Customer Perceived Value. In: Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference, New Orleans, 16-19 May 2012.
- Prior DD (2012) Considering the Nature of Value Capturing Mechanisms in Industrial Buyer-Supplier Exchange - A Structured Abstract. In: Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference, New Orleans, 16-19 May 2012.
- Prior DD (2011) Developing a Typology of B2B Buyer-Supplier Relationships: Factoring in Service Delivery Approach. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2011, Coral Gables, Florida, 24-27 May 2011.
- Miller LM & Prior DD (2010) Online Social Networks and Friendship Behaviour: A Self-Determination Theory Perspective. In: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2010 (Christchurch), Christchurch, 29 November - 1 December 2010.
- Prior DD (2010) Examining Project Management Through a Marketing Lens: A Literature Review and Research Agenda. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2010, Portland, Oregon, 26-29 May 2010.
- Prior DD & Miller LM (2010) Webethnography: A Typology of Online Contexts and Consequent Research Implications. In: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2010 (Christchurch), Christchurch, 29 November - 1 December 2010.
- Prior DD & Buttle F (2006) A Holistic Model of Competitive Advantage: Integrating the IMP Perspective. In: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2006 (Brisbane), Brisbane, 4-6 December 2006.
- Prior DD (2006) Examining the Effect of Relation-Specific Assets on Transaction Costs: A Pilot Study of Australian Companies' Supplier Relationships. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2006 (London), London, 3-5 July 2006.
- Prior DD (2005) Engaging the Multiple Contexts of Management: Using Strategic Relationships to Guide Stakeholder Management Decisions. In: Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management Conference 2005 (Canberra)- Melbourne, Canberra, 7-10 December 2005.
- Prior DD (2005) The Critical Mass of Networks: Implications for Marketing. In: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2005 (Perth), Perth, 5-7 December 2005.
- Prior DD (2004) The Critical Mass of Organisations. In: Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management Conference 2004 (Wellington), Wellington, 8-11 December 2004.
- Prior DD (2004) Customer Value and its Role in Value Delivery System Accountability. In: ANZMAC 2004 Conference, Wellington, 29 November - 1 December 2004.
- Nailer C, Prior DD & Keränen J (2017) A Dynamic Process Theory of Public Value. In: Public Value - A Research Anthology (In Press), London: Routledge.
- Mazanov J & Prior DD (2016) Marketing, Integrity Management and Drugs in Sport. In: Managing Drugs in Sport, London: Routledge, p. 157-172.
- Prior DD (eds), (2012) Strategy, Management and Leadership: An Introduction, Melbourne, Australia: Pearson, ed. Daniel Prior.
- Prior DD (2006) Researching a Regional Bed and Breakfast: Stanford Park. In: Principles of Marketing, Brisbane, Australia: Prentice Hall, ed. 3rd.
- Prior DD (2006) Retaining Customers in a Small Financial Planning Business: The Elusive Pursuit of Marketing's Silver Bullet. In: Marketing, Prentice Hall, ed. 6th Edition.
- Prior DD (2006) What Makes a Tourist Destination? The Trials and Tribulations of Two Regional Centers. In: Marketing, Prentice Hall, Australia, ed. 6th.