Contact Professor Catarina Figueira
Catarina is Professor of Applied Economics and Policy and Head of the Economics & Banking Group at Cranfield School of Management. Catarina is Director of the Executive MSc in Retail and Digital Banking, the first UK Mastership in Banking. She was a former Director of the Cranfield Executive MBA Programme.
Catarina’s scholarly interests lie in the area
of financial modelling, institutions’ performance and the effects of regulatory changes. She has also
published work which has focused on the intricacies between corporate
governance and company performance, the value of board diversity and the
importance of cosmopolitanism in fostering entrepreneurship.
Catarina has worked on various projects which have focused on the dynamics of housing markets, including the analysis of house prices and mortgage arrears and has co-developed the new DPS rent index for the UK.
Catarina was previously a scholar at the European Parliament, having worked at the Directorate General for Research. She has published in leading international journals and is a frequent contributor to a wide range of international conferences, having successfully secured a number of prizes in recognition for the excellence of some of her academic papers. She has provided advice to both the private and public sector, including to a number of international organisations as well as to several government departments and charities.
Articles In Journals
- Zwarteveen JW, Figueira C, Zawwar I & Angus A (2021) Barriers and drivers of the global imbalance of wind energy diffusion: a meta-analysis from a wind power Original Equipment Manufacturer perspective, Journal of Cleaner Production, 290 (March) Article No. 125636.
- Caselli G, Figueira C & Nellis JG (2020) Ownership diversity and the risk-taking channel of monetary policy transmission, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Available online 4 July 2020 (6).
- Figueira C, Caselli G & Theodorakopoulos N (2016) Migrant entrepreneurs as cosmopolitan change agents: A Bourdieuan perspective on capital accumulation, Society and Business Review, 11 (3) 297-312.
- Figueira C, Theodorakopoulos N & Caselli G (2016) Unveiling faculty conceptions of academic risk taking: a phenomenographic study, Studies in Higher Education, 43 (8) 1307-1320.
- Kakabadse NK, Figueira C, Nicolopoulou K, Yang JH, Kakabadse AP & Ozbilgin MF (2015) Gender diversity and board performance: women's experiences and perspectives, Human Resource Management, 54 (2) 265-281.
- Theodorakopoulos N, McGowan C, Bennett D, Kakabadse N & Figueira C (2014) Diversifying into technical clothing manufacture as entrepreneurial learning: A situated learning theory perspective, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 25 (5) 676-693.
- Figueira C (2013) What has changed since the crisis?, Management Focus, Spring (34) 22-23.
- Theodorakopoulos N & Figueira C (2012) What can situated learning theory tell us about leading to develop organizational learning capabilities for entrepreneurial performance? Lessons from a knowledge-intensive small firm, Thunderbird International Business Review, 54 (6) 859-873.
- Figueira C, Andrikopoulos P & Tsang HY (2010) Assessing the effects of the Asian financial crisis on banking performance in Southeast Asia, International Journal of Financial Services Management, 4 (4) 338-360.
- Ramsden JJ, Figueira C & Nellis J (2010) Ranking banks, and classifying national banking systems according to their cybernetic efficiency, Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry, 10 (3) 111-119.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2009) Bank merger and acquisitions activity in the EU: much ado about nothing?, Service Industries Journal, 29 (7) 875-886.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2009) The effects of ownership on bank efficiency in Latin America, Applied Economics, 41 (18) 2353-2368.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2009) Banking performance and technological change in non-core EU countries: A study of Spain and Portugal, Studies in Economics and Finance, 26 (3) 155-170.
- Parker D, Kirkpatrick C & Figueira C (2008) Infrastructure regulation and poverty reduction in developing countries: A review of the evidence and a research agenda, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 48 (2) 177-188.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2007) Challenges Facing the Polish Banking Industry: A Comparative Study with UK Banks, Managing Global Transitions, 5 (1) 25-44.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Schoenberg R (2007) Travel abroad or stay at home?: Investigating the patterns of bank industry M and As in the EU, European Business Review, 19 (1) 23-39.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2006) Does ownership affect efficiency of African banks?, Journal of Developing Areas, 40 (1) 37-62.
- Figueira C, Glen J & Nellis J (2005) A Dynamic Analysis of Mortgage Arrears in the UK, Urban Studies, 42 (10) 1755-1769.
- Nellis J & Figueira-Theodorakopoulou C (2002) Is there a future for UK manufacturing?, Management Focus (19) 19-21.
- Figueira C (2009) Developing Strategic Learning Capabilities for Open Innovation under Entrepreneurial Leadership: Lessons from a Technology-based Small Firm. In: 5th European Conference on Management, Leadership and Governance, Athens, 5 November 2009.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2007) Banking Efficiency in Non-Core EU Countries - A Comparative Analysis of Portugal and Spain. In: Conference proceedings 2007 : British Academy of Management : management research, education and business success : is the future as clear as the past?, Warwick, 11 September 2007.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2006) M and A activity in the EU Banking Industry - Much ado about nothing?. In: Business & Economics Society International Conference, Florence, Italy, 15 July 2006.
- Figueira & C (2005) Infrastructure Regulation and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and a Research Agenda. In: Regulation, Competition and Income Distribution Conference: Latin American Experiences, Rio de Janeiro, 1-5 January 2005.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) The effects of private versus state and foreign versus domestic ownership on bank efficiency in Latin America. In: British Academy of Management Conference, St Andrews.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) Bank efficiency in Latin America. In: ESRC Conference on Finance for Development & Poverty Reduction, Bath.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) Are international financial markets integrating. In: Academy of International Business annual meeting, Sweden.
- Figueira & C (2004) Testing for International Financial Markets Integration. In: EURAM 2004 4th Annual Conference, St Andrews, 5 May 2004.
- Figueira C (2004) How efficient is the Polish Banking Industry?. In: UK Academy of International Business, Londonderry, 23 April 2004.
- Figueira C (2003) Wage setting in the United Kingdom. In: Regional Science Association International Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2003) Assessing the performance of the Polish banking industry: a comparative study. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Harrogate.
- Phelps B, Figueira C & Nellis J (2003) International Banking Strategy and Efficiency: issues and directions.. In: 7th International Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute, Shanghai, 4 July 2003.
- Figueira C (2003) A dynamic analysis of mortgage arrears in the UK housing market. In: Cranfield Research Colloquium, Cranfield University, 1 January 2003.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2002) Testing for international financial integration. In: International Economics and Finance Society Conference 2002, London.
- Figueira & C (2002) Where have all the mortgage arrears gone?. In: International Regional Science Association Conference, San Juan, 14 November 2002.
- Figueira & C (2001) Are direct payments preferable to price support?. In: Cranfield Research Seminar Series, Cranfield University, 1 January 2001.
- Theodorakopoulos N, Figueira C, Kakabadse N & Kakabadse A (2011) Dynamic Learning as Entrepreneurial Action in the Context of Open Innovation: An Instrumental Case from a Communities-of-Practice Perspective. In: SMEs and Open Innovation: Global Cases and Initiatives. Rahman H, Ramos I (ed.), Hershey, USA: IGI Global, p. 199-223.
- Figueira C & Parker D (2011) Infrastructure Liberalization: Challenges to the new Economic Paradigm in the Context of Developing Countries. In: International Handbook of Network Industries. Finger M, Kuenneke, R W (ed.), Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, p. 491-512.
- Parker D & Figueira C (2010) PPPs in developed and developing economies: what lessons can be learned?. In: International Handbook on Public-Private Partnerships. Hodge G, Greve C, Boardman A E (ed.), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, p. 526-547.
- Nellis J, Figueira C & Glen J (2005) An econometric model of mortgage arrears - implications for credit risk. In: Credit Risk of Mortgage Loans. Modelling and Management. Jajuga K, Krysiak Z (ed.), Warsaw: Polish Bank Association.
- Nellis J & Figueira C (2005) The importance of accurate house price measurement in the context of mortgage risk modelling. In: Credit Risk of Mortgage Loans. Modelling and Management. Jajuga K, Krysiak Z (ed.), Warsaw: Polish Bank Association.