Contact Dr Ahmed Shaalan
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758089
- Email: Ahmed.Shaalan@cranfield.ac.uk
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ahmed-shaalan-ba069823/
Dr Shaalan joined Cranfield School of Management, Cranfield University in November 2018 from Hull University. He holds a PhD from Hull University Business School, where he also earned his master's degree. Dr Shaalan is best known for his work on relationship marketing, social networks including Chinese guanxi, tourism marketing, and corporate identity and branding.
Dr Ahmed's research has been published in the Journal of Business Research, Corporate Reputation Review, and Qualitative Market Research. He has also published over 25 conference papers in conference proceedings since 2011. Recently, Dr Shaalan was awarded the 'Best Full Research Paper' from the CMC Conference, 2018.
Dr Shaalan is a Fellow of Advance Higher Education (AHE), UK. He has an extensive teaching experience for marketing modules for UG, PG, MBA and EMBA as he teaches courses in the UK and over seven countries around the world. Also, he has an experience in the directorship of MSc marketing programmes.
Dr Shaalan has been invited as a guest speaker in areas of Relationship Marketing and Social Networks at prestigious institutions such as the University of York (UK), Xiamen University (China) and University of Hull (UK). He is also a regular guest speaker at the British Academy of Marketing (BAM) Conference since 2014 as he presents on 'How to Prepare for a Successful Viva'.
Ahmed's research expertise and interests are primarily, but not exclusively, focused on Relationship Marketing, Social Networks (including Chinese guanxi, and Arab wasta), and Corporate Identity and Branding.
His current research projects on relationship marketing are applied to SMEs and tourism sector. Dr Shaalan is particularly interested in understanding how SMEs use relationship marketing to attract and retain new customers and in the links between western and eastern type of business relationships and social networks, including guanxi, wasta and shabakat al-alakat. Ahmed is exploring the practical applications of his research by developing research tools that could help managers build and manage their businesses more effectively.
Ahmed applies mixed methods in his research and has considerable experience in using SPSS, SPSS macros, SEM using Amos and PLS software, and Nvivo. Ahmed's research to date has attracted fund from GU8 Consortium Early Career Researcher Mobility Programme to visit and develop collaborative research within the School of Management at Xiamen University, P.R. China. Dr Shaalan contributed to REF 2014. He supervises PhD candidates as well as examined several PhDs.
Dr Shalann's research interests and current projects include:
- Relationship Marketing
- Chinese Culture
- Social networks including Chinese guanxi and Arab wasta
- Corporate Branding
- Corporate Identity
- Tourism Marketing
Articles In Journals
- Tourky M, Syed Alwi SF, Kitchen P, Melewar TC & Shaalan A (2019) New conceptualization and measurement of corporate identity: evidence from UK food and beverage industry, Journal of Business Research, Early online.
- Tourky M, Kitchen P & Shaalan A (2019) The role of corporate identity in CSR implementation: an integrative framework, Journal of Business Research, Early Online.
- Kitchen P, Tourky M, Dean D & Shaalan A (2013) Corporate identity antecedents and components: Toward a theoretical framework, Corporate Reputation Review, 16 (4) 263-284.
- Shaalan A, Reast J, Johnson D & Tourky M (2013) East meets West: Toward a theoretical model linking guanxi and relationship marketing, Journal of Business Research, 66 (12) 2515-2521.
- Tourky M, Foroudi P, Gupta S & Shaalan A Conceptualizing corporate identity in a dynamic environment, Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, In Press.