Joe graduated from the University of Ulster with a BSc(Econ) in 1976 and was awarded the Adam Smith Tassie Medallion as the top graduate in Economics. He obtained his MA in Economics from the University of Warwick in 1979 and his PhD from Cranfield University in 1991. He was Midland Bank Research Fellow at Loughborough University (1978-81) and was appointed Director of the University of Keele's Management Science Degree (1981-84).
Joe joined Cranfield in 1984 and established the Economics Group ten years later, after his promotion to full Professorship in 1993. The Economics Group has been consistently ranked by the FT as one of the Top 10 in the world for the teaching of economics on MBA programmes. He has held a variety of senior posts within Cranfield including Director of the Full-Time MBA Programme, Director of Graduate Programmes and Academic Dean within the School of management. He held the post of Pro-Vice Chancellor of Cranfield University from 2005-08. He is a recipient of: an 'Outstanding Professor' award in Hungary for his contribution to curriculum development, funded by the TEMPUS Programme of the European Union; a Distinguished Graduate Award' from the University of Ulster, and the 'Best Professor Award' from several institutions including Purdue University (USA) and Tilburg University (Netherlands). He was jointly responsible for the research and development of the UK's leading house price measurement systems namely the Halifax and the Nationwide House Price Indexes. Joe lists his hobbies as golf, running (15 marathons) and Ghana (which he describes as his second home' as a result of two years spent there on Voluntary Service Overseas). He was formerly Chairman of Wellingborough Homes Housing Association.
Professor Joe Nellis is Professor of Global Economy specialising in global macroeconomics, business environmental analysis, strategic thinking and management development.
He teaches across the full range of the School's portfolio including the Full-time and Executive MBA, General and Customised Management programmes. He is also Director of the Policy, Sustainability & Performance Academic Community within the School. He is the longest serving member of the School of Management's Executive Board. From 1st January 2014 until 31st January 2015 he served as Director of Cranfield School of Management. He also holds Visiting Professorial appointments at various universities in Germany, Belgium, Austria, the Netherlands, Hungary and Ghana.
Joe has published 18 research and subject-based books and over 200 academic and practitioner journal articles. His research encompasses analysis of business developments in a changing world in terms of the macroeconomy, the role of government, the impact of technology, societal and demographic trends. He is a frequent contributor to a wide range of national and international conferences and is a consultant to a number of UK and international companies in the areas of strategy and business environmental analysis, strategy formulation and management development. He has also acted as a consultant to several central government departments and public sector organisations.
Current and previous clients include Cisco Systems Ltd, Executive Change Group, M&S plc, Euromoney, Housing Plus, Housemark, MacIntyre Hudson LLP, HaysMacintyre LLP, Barlow Robbins LLP,WM Housing Group, University College London (UCL), Fujitsu, Integra ICT, MSI Global Alliance, Grunfos, Procter & Gamble, StarBev, Symphony IRI, Development 1st, Renault (UK), Vodafone.
Articles In Journals
- Alexiou C & Nellis JG (2016) Investment Decisions within the Context of Financialization: Cointegration Evidence from the UK Economy, Panoeconomicus, 63 (1) 113-133.
- Papageorgiadis N, Alexiou C & Nellis J (2016) International licensing revisited: the role of copyright and trademark enforcement strength, European Journal of Innovation Management, 19 (2) 261-275.
- Alexiou C, Nellis & J (2016) A post-mortem of austerity: the Greek experience, Economic Issues, 21 (2) 1-32.
- Alexiou C, Nellis J & Papageorgiadis N (2016) The effect of patent enforcement strength and FDI on economic growth, Multinational Business Review, 24 (4) 334-353.
- Papageorgiadis N, Alexiou C & Nellis J (2016) On patent legislation, patent enforcement and economic growth: empirical evidence from developed and developing countries, Global Business and Economics Review, 18 (6) 623-641.
- Alexiou C & Nellis J (2015) Gauging the Impact of Institutions on Economic Performance of Sudan: Evidence From an ARDL Cointegration Approach, Global Business & Economics Anthology, 1 (1) 1-12.
- Alexiou C & Nellis J (2014) Is Capitalism Good for the Economy?, Management Focus, 37 28-29.
- Alexiou C & Nellis J (2013) Is there life after "death" for the Greek economy?, International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 3 (4) 861-873.
- Slattery D, Nellis J, Josifidis K & Losonc A (2013) Neoclassical economics: science or neoliberal ideology?, European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, 10 (3) 313-326.
- Nellis J (2013) Africa rising, Management Focus, Autumn (35) 8-9.
- Alexiou C & Nellis J (2013) Challenging the Raison d'etre of Internal Devaluation in the Context of the Greek Economy, Panoeconomicus, 60 (6) 813-836.
- Alexiou C & Nellis J (2012) Is the "Euro" a Defunct Currency?, International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 2 (3) 296-303.
- Nellis J & Glen J (2011) The impact of published school performance results on residential property prices: a comparative study of two UK cities, Global Business and Economics Review, 13 (2) 168-184.
- Slattery D & Nellis J (2011) Rethinking the role and regulation in the aftermath of the global financial crisis, Panoeconomicus, 58 (3) 407-423.
- Glen J & Nellis J (2010) "The Price you Pay": The Impact of State-Funded Secondary School Performance on Residential Property Values in England, Panoeconomicus, 57 (4) 405-428.
- Ramsden JJ, Figueira C & Nellis J (2010) Ranking banks, and classifying national banking systems according to their cybernetic efficiency, Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry, 10 (3) 111-119.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2009) Bank merger and acquisitions activity in the EU: much ado about nothing?, Service Industries Journal, 29 (7) 875-886.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2009) The effects of ownership on bank efficiency in Latin America, Applied Economics, 41 (18) 2353-2368.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2009) Banking performance and technological change in non-core EU countries: A study of Spain and Portugal, Studies in Economics and Finance, 26 (3) 155-170.
- Nellis Joseph G (2007) Winning the Future - A Business Overview..
- Nellis J (2007) Winning the future - a business overview, Intelligent Systems in Accounting, Finance and Management (146) 5-7.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2007) Challenges Facing the Polish Banking Industry: A Comparative Study with UK Banks, Managing Global Transitions, 5 (1) 25-44.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Schoenberg R (2007) Travel abroad or stay at home?: Investigating the patterns of bank industry M and As in the EU, European Business Review, 19 (1) 23-39.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2006) Does ownership affect efficiency of African banks?, Journal of Developing Areas, 40 (1) 37-62.
- Slattery D & Nellis J (2005) Product development in UK retail banking: developing a market-oriented approach in a rapidly changing regulatory environment, International Journal of Bank Marketing, 23 (1) 90-106.
- Figueira C, Glen J & Nellis J (2005) A Dynamic Analysis of Mortgage Arrears in the UK, Urban Studies, 42 (10) 1755-1769.
- Nellis J & Slattery D (2004) What is the future of the UK life and pensions industry, CriticalEye (Mar-May).
- Nellis J & Figueira-Theodorakopoulou C (2002) Is there a Future for UK Manufacturing?, Management focus (19) 19-21.
- Nellis J, Hutchinson R & Mccaffery K (2000) Strategic Challenges for the European Banking Industry in the New Millennium, International Journal of Bank Marketing, 18 (2) 53-63.
- Nellis J & Regan S (1998) Quarterly Economic Report - Q3 1998, Credit Control, 19 (9) 25-32.
- Nellis J (1998) Challenges for the new Millennium: strategies for staying ahead, Chartered Banker, 4 (6) 28-31.
- Nellis J & Regan S (1998) Management under regulation, Financial Times Mastering Management Review (18) 40-43.
- Nellis J & Regan S (1998) Quarterly Economic Report - Q1 1998, Credit Control, 19 (3) 25-32.
- Nellis J (1998) Quarterly Economic Report - Q2 1998: An Economic Analysis of UK plc, Credit Control, 19 (6) 25-32.
- Nellis J & Hutchinson R (1998) The Single Currency: Strategic Challenges for the European Banking Industry, Strategic Change, 7 3-12.
- Nellis J & Regan S (1997) Rule based regulation, New Economy, 4 (1).
- Nellis J & Regan S (1997) Quarterly Economic Report - Q2 1997, Credit Control, 18 (6) 23-31.
- Nellis J & Regan S (1997) Quarterly Economic Report - Q3 1997, Credit Control, 18 (10) 26-32.
- Nellis J & Regan S (1997) Quarterly Economic Report - Q4 1997, Credit Control, 18 (12) 16-24.
- Nellis J (1997) International Credit: Global Outlook for a New Millennium - Part 1, Credit Control, 18 (8) 22-26.
- Nellis J (1997) Internaitonal Credit: Global Outlook for a New Millennium - Part 2, Credit Control, 18 (10) 22-25.
- Nellis J (1997) Central and Eastern Europe - States of Transition, Business Review, 4 (1) 28-30.
- Nellis J (1997) The Global Outlook for a New Millennium, Management focus (8) 4-7.
- Nellis J (1997) International credit: global outlook for a new Millennium - Part 2, Credit Control, 18 (10) 22-25.
- Nellis J (1997) The global outlook for a new Millenium, Management focus (8) 4-7.
- Nellis J (1996) Quarterly Economic Report - Q3 1996, Credit Control, 17 (10) 25-31.
- Nellis J (1996) Quarterly Economic Report - Q4 1996, Credit Control, 17 (12) 20-26.
- Nellis J & Thom R (1986) The nature of credit rationing in the United Kingdom mortgage market, Journal of Urban Economics, 20 (1) 39-54.
- Glen J & Nellis J (2010) Do High School examination results impact residential property prices? A tale of two UK cities. In: Business & Economics Society International Conference, Nassau, Bahamas, 6 January 2010.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2007) Banking Efficiency in Non-Core EU Countries - A Comparative Analysis of Portugal and Spain. In: Conference proceedings 2007 : British Academy of Management : management research, education and business success : is the future as clear as the past?, Warwick, 11 September 2007.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2006) M and A activity in the EU Banking Industry - Much ado about nothing?. In: Business & Economics Society International Conference, Florence, Italy, 15 July 2006.
- Nellis J (2005) Are you agile enough to survive?. In: EDS First Global Air Transportation Forum, Zurich.
- Nellis J (2004) What will winners look like in the years ahead?. In: Trends CEO Summit, Brussels.
- Xu T & Nellis J (2004) The impact of deregulation on the future structure, conduct and performance of the Chinese banking industry. In: WTO: Achievements and Future Challenges Conference, Shanghai.
- Nellis J (2004) The impact of deregulation on the future conduct, structure and performance of the Chinese banking industry. In: 15th Annual Conference of the Chinese Economic Association UK, London.
- Xu T & Nellis J (2004) The impact of deregulation on the future structure, conduct and performance of the Chinese banking industry. In: 15th Chinese Economic Association Conference, London.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) The effects of private versus state and foreign versus domestic ownership on bank efficiency in Latin America. In: British Academy of Management Conference, St Andrews.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) Bank efficiency in Latin America. In: ESRC Conference on Finance for Development & Poverty Reduction, Bath.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) Are international financial markets integrating. In: Academy of International Business annual meeting, Sweden.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2003) Assessing the performance of the Polish banking industry: a comparative study. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Harrogate.
- Phelps B, Figueira C & Nellis J (2003) International Banking Strategy and Efficiency: issues and directions.. In: 7th International Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute, Shanghai, 4 July 2003.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2002) Testing for international financial integration. In: International Economics and Finance Society Conference 2002, London.
- Nellis J (1998) The economics of the learning organisation and the role of economics in the organisation of learning. In: 5th EDINEB International Conference, Ohio.
- Nellis J (1997) The single European currency: costs and benefits. In: McDonalds Conference, Tilney Hall, Hants..
- Nellis J (1997) The global business environment - drivers of change. In: World Conference of TMT Inc, Amsterdam.
- Nellis J (1997) An economic outlook for the new millenium. In: Annual Credit Conference of Experian, Gleneagles.
- Nellis J (1996) The implications of a static housing market: current situation and likely developments.. In: 11th Annual Building Societies and Mortgage Lenders Conference, London.
- Nellis J (1996) The changing global environment - long term macroenvironment trends and environment. In: British Nuclear Fuels Macroenvironment Workshop, Preston.
- Nellis J (1996) Where's the world going?. In: British Nuclear Fuels Macroenvironment Workshop, Blackpool.
- Nellis J (1996) The emergence of the feel better factor - an economic forecast for the credit industry. In: CNN annual conference, Gleneagles.
- Nellis JG & Alexiou C (2015) Macroeconomics in a Global Context. ebook.
- Nellis J & Slattery D (2013) Demographic Trends and the Internationalisation of Higher Education: Emerging Challenges and Prospects. In: Universities in Change: Managing Higher Education Institutions in the Age of Globalization. Altmann A, Ebersberger B (ed.), Springer, p. 59-74.
- Nellis J & Xu T (2010) Entry behaviour of foreign banks in the Chinese banking market. In: China's Three Decades of Economic Reforms, Routledge, p. 28-42.
- Nellis J & Parker D (2006) Principles of business economics. Harlow: Financial Times / Prentice Hall, ed. 2nd ed..
- Kisielewska M, Guzowska M, Nellis J & Zarzecki D (2005) Efficiency of the major banking players in Poland. In: Zarzadzanie Finansami: Biznes, bankowosc, i finanse na rynkach wschodzacych. Zarzecki D (ed.), Szczecin: Uniwersytet Szczecinski, p. 569-584.
- Nellis J, Zarzecki D, Guzowska M & Kisielewska M (2005) Efektywnosc polskiego sektora bankowego w latach 1995-2002. In: Zeszyty Naukowe Instytutu Ekonomiki i Organizacji Przedsiebiorstw, Szczecin: Uniwersytet Szczecinski, p. 101-114.
- Nellis J & Figueira C (2005) The importance of accurate house price measurement in the context of mortgage risk modelling. In: Credit Risk of Mortgage Loans. Modelling and Management. Jajuga K, Krysiak Z (ed.), Warsaw: Polish Bank Association.
- Nellis J, Figueira C & Glen J (2005) An econometric model of mortgage arrears - implications for credit risk. In: Credit Risk of Mortgage Loans. Modelling and Management. Jajuga K, Krysiak Z (ed.), Warsaw: Polish Bank Association.
- Nellis J & Parker D (2004) Principles of macroeconomics. Prentice Hall.
- Guzowska M, Kisielewska M, Nellis J & Zarzecki D (2004) Efficiency of the Polish banking sector - assessing the impact of transformation. In: Data Envelopment Analysis and Performation Management. Emrouznejad A, Podinovski V (ed.), Birmingham: DEA, p. 163-170.
- Nellis J & Parker D (2002) Principles of business economics. Harlow: Financial Times / Prentice Hall, ed. 1st ed..
- Nellis J (2001) Glossary of European Union - General Notions. Szaktudas Kiado Haz.
- Nellis J & Fleming C (2000) Principles of Applied Statistics: An Integrated Appraisal using MINITAB and Excel. International Thomson Business Press, ed. 2.
- Nellis J & Regan S (2000) The economics of the learning organisation and the role of economics in the organisation of learning. In: Educational innovation in economics and business V: Business education for the changing workplace. Borghans L, Gijselaers WH, Milter RG, Stinson JE (ed.), Dordrecht: Kluwer, p. 57-68, ed. V.
- Nellis J & Regan S (1999) The economics of the learning organisation and the role of economics in the organisation of learning. In: Educational innovation in economics and business IV: Learning in a changing environment. Hommes L, Keizer PK, Pettigrw M, Troy J (ed.), Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Nellis J (1998) The future of economics. In: Educational innovation in economics and business III. Milter R, Stinson J, Gijselaers W (ed.), Dordrecht: Kluwer, p. 37-49.