Contact Dr Catherine Bailey
Catherine trained as an occupational psychologist, and has worked in production and HR with Smiths Industries and as a Programme Management Consultant for Nichols Associates. She has taught in several UK business schools, has 30 years experience leading executive development across industry sectors in multicultural and international contexts. She recently led a 5 year strategic initiative developing future senior leadership for Emirates. She is a founder of a successful third sector business. She is Business Leader for Cranfield's Centre for General Management Development.
Her interests and activities focus on business leadership capabilities for complex business environments; executive team effectiveness; leveraging knowledge for sustained innovation; developing strategic capabilities. She plays a major role in the Centre's radical and distinctive practical business leadership research. She is author of a book and of numerous articles on managerial and leadership performance, measurement and development. She consults internationally to a wide range of organisations (financial, technological, health, aviation, business media, construction, professional services and not-for-profit sectors). She is an executive coach for business leaders and strategy making teams.
She is Programme Director for Cranfield Directors Programme and Cranfield Advanced Development Programme.
Catherine works with clients across private, public and not-for-profit sectors. These include clients in commercial airlines, pharmaceuticals, construction, insurance, Media, NHS, social housing and charities.
Articles In Journals
- Wang L, Turnbull James K, Denyer D & Bailey C (2014) Western views and Chinese whispers: Re-thinking global leadership competency in multi-national corporations, Leadership, 10 (4) 471-495.
- Bailey C, Butcher D & Clarke M (2012) Addressing the governance gap: organizational democracy and moral communities, Developing Leaders (8) 18-23.
- Bailey C (2011) Handling Conflict in the Financial Controller Role, Finance & Management (94) 18-19.
- Bailey C (2011) Working through the ZOUD, Management focus (30) 14-15.
- Bailey C (2011)
Enfoque en el futuro: decidiendo con perspectiva. (Focus on the future: deciding with perspective), Enfasis Logistica (Nov) 52-53.
- Bailey C (2010) Why keeping your head down may damage your company's future, Think Cranfield (March).
- Clarke M, Bailey C & Burr J (2008) Leadership development: making a difference in unfavourable circumstances, Journal of Management Development, 27 (8) 824-842.
- Bailey C (2008) Solutions from the world at large - management, Construction News (July).
- Burr J & Bailey C (2008) Return on leadership and management development investment, Think Cranfield (July).
- Bailey C & Clarke M (2008) Aligning business leadership development with business needs: the value of discrimination, Journal of Management Development, 27 (9) 912-934.
- Bailey C, Bristow M & Burr J (2006) Thinking outside the box, Pathfinder Magazine 40-43.
- Butcher D, Bailey C & Clarke M (2006) Business performance and development of business leaders: A gap analysis, The Human Factor, 2 (2) 32-40.
- Clarke M & Bailey C (2006) Desarrollar: Para ser rentables, Conocimiento & Direccion (Edition 66) 78-82.
- Bailey C (2004) Look Out!, Think Cranfield.
- Bailey C & Bristow M (2004) Look out!, Training Magazine -Sutton- (Feb).
- Bailey C & Bristow M (2004) Thinking outside the box, Training Magazine -Sutton- 25-27.
- Bailey CT & Clarke MS (2003) Failing to Talk Business, Training (March) 30-32.
- Bailey C, Bristow M, Offley N & Gosling S (2003) Pushing rank: Will the next generation of senior NHS leaders be equipped with the right skills?, Health Service Journal **, 113 (5879) 2-3.
- Bristow M & Bailey C (2003) Developing an external perspective: An oversimplified and underdeveloped capability, Think Cranfield (October).
- Bailey C & Burr J (2003) Business leadership development - key recommendations for future best practice, Think Cranfield (February).
- Bailey C & Butcher D (2003) Developing an external perspective - The role of external leadership programmes, Think Cranfield (June).
- Bailey C & Butcher D (2002) Business performance and business leader development: The Catch 22, Think Cranfield (December).
- Bailey CT & Clarke MS (2001) Managing Knowledge for Personal and Organizational Benefit, Journal of Knowledge Management, 5 (1) 58-67.
- Bailey C & Butcher D (2001) How to make waves - and influence people, Training Magazine -Sutton- (September) 31-33.
- Bailey CT & Clarke MS (2000) How do Managers use Knowledge about Knowledge Management?, Journal of Knowledge Management, 4 (3) 235-243.
- Butcher D & Bailey C (2000) Crewed awakenings, People management, 6 (16) 34-37.
- Butcher D & Bailey C (1999) Beyond fashion and fad, Business First (January) 8-9.
- Bailey CT & Clarke MS (1999) Going for Gold, Human Resources -London- (43) 69-72.
- Dorn L & Bailey C Driving a Cultural Change in Fleet Risk: A new Fleet Safety Leadership Programme, Utility Fleet Magazine 22-22.
- Bailey C (2004) Innovations in senior leadership development in the NHS. In: NHS Leadership Network Conference, London.
- Butcher D & Bailey C (2004) Conceptualizing the organizational impact of leadership. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, New Orleans.
- Bailey C, Butcher D, Meldrum M & Bristow M (2003) Developing an external perspective: a highly valued yet under-utilized strategic capability. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2003, Seattle, WA, 1 August 2003.
- Butcher D & Bailey C (2003) Leadership and organizational performance - a conceptual model of the relationship. In: Studying Leadership: The 2nd Annual International Conference on Leadership Research, Lancaster.
- Bailey C, Clarke M & Offley N (2003) Senior leadership development in the NHS - creating future innovative practice. In: Health Service Journal Conference, London.
- Clarke M & Bailey C (2002) Leadership Development - Creating Innovative Future Practice. In: EIASM Workshop on Leadership Research, Oxford, 16 December 2006.
- Bailey C (2001) Reframing Managerial and Leadership Performance. In: EIASM Workshop on Reframing Organisational Performance, Brussels.
- Butcher D, Bailey C & Burr J (2016) How leadership impacts organisational performance. In: Leadership in Organizations, Current Issues and Key Trends. Storey J (ed.), Abingdon: Routledge, p. 177-197, ed. 3.
- Bailey C, Clarke M & Butcher D (2010) Strategically aligned leadership development. In: Leadership in Organizations, Current Issues and Key Trends. Storey J (ed.), Abingdon: Routledge, p. 167-184, ed. 2nd.
- Bailey C & Butcher D (2008) External perspective: an under-utilised strategic leadership capability. In: Leadership Learning: Knowledge into Action. Turnbull James K, Collins J (ed.), Palgrave.
- Clarke M, Butcher D & Bailey C (2003) Strategically aligned leadership development. In: Leadership in Organizations: Current Issues and Key Trends. Storey J (ed.), London: Routledge, p. 271-292.