At Cranfield, we know that in today's business environment, it is important that senior managers display confidence in corporate finance discussions and understand the financial implications of their strategic decisions.Read more Read less
Our Finance for the Boardroom Programme will provide you with the skills and tools you need to successfully address financial performance, evaluate business plans and use financial strategy to create long-term value.
This programme is not about turning you into an accountant, but will help you have a greater understanding of the financial information you are provided as a member of an executive team or board. A better understanding of techniques will enhance your ability to interpret financial data and confidence to demand-relevant information. Our finance faculty use their own practical business experience to bring the subject to life, enabling you to apply the concepts in your own organisation.
Key outcomes include:
- Using financial strategy to generate value in your business.
- A greater understanding of the practical implications of investment decisions and acquisitions.
- A deeper insight into how your business model translates into the accounting numbers.
Programme information – Live online
- 06 - 09 Oct 2020
- Duration4 x 0.5 days
- LocationLive online
- Cost£4,300 + VAT Concessions available
Programme information – Face-to-face
- 05 - 07 May 2021
- 27 - 29 Sep 2021
- Duration3 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£4,750 + VAT Concessions available
What you will learn
You will gain:
- Advanced insights into how financial strategy can help drive value in your organisation.
- An increased understanding of how your business model translates into the financial numbers.
- A greater ability to make knowledgeable and appreciated contributions to the board with a firm understanding of financial reports.
- Appreciation of the practical implications of investment decisions and acquisitions.
- Confidence with the language of finance, bringing with it an ability to challenge financial presentations and successfully recognise opportunities.
Your organisation will gain:
- Enhanced financial literacy contribution at board level, encouraging better strategic decisions.
- A more knowledgeable and effective executive with a clear understanding of your organisation's financial performance, and the implications that come with it.
You will benefit from the creative practices, diverse ideas, and successful methods used to overcome challenges that your peers and faculty have faced through working in a range of sectors.
The practical and adaptable design of the programme content ensures that you are fully equipped with state-of-the-art tools and frameworks to successfully improve financial performance and shareholder value in your organisation.
This programme address the challenges you face when interpreting corporate financial data and discussing strategic decision making at board level. You gain best practice models to:
- support your role
- understand long-term value and how to best achieve it
- effectively recognise the cost of capital and determine appropriate capital structure
- implement investment appraisal techniques
- understand your organisation's valuation methods
- gain advanced insights into what your organisation's accounts really tell you and what they don't disclose.
Timetable - Live online
The Corporate Finance Cycle
- Linking financing , dividends, and growth decisions
Creating Shareholder Value
- What shareholder value is and why it matters
- Seven drivers of value
- Balancing risk and return
- Cost of capital
Understanding financial information
- Basic understanding of the income statement and balance sheet
- Appreciation of ratios
- How to ‘read’ accounts
- Financial matters to consider in the Boardroom.
Capital Investment Appraisal
- Techniques for investment appraisal
- Understanding relevant cash flows
- Why financial forecasts go wrong.
Company valuations and acquisitions
- Commonly-used methods of valuation and acquisition
- Synergies and the link to shareholder value
Timetable - Face-to-face
- What is shareholder value and why does it matter.
- Balancing risk and return.
- Cost of capital.
- Seven drivers of value.
- Linking financial and business strategy.
- What the accounts tell us.
- Interpreting the balance sheet and income statement.
- Ratio analysis.
- Commonly-used methods of investment appraisal.
- Making the business case.
- Common errors in preparing forecasts.
- Additional content dependent on participants' aims, for example: Initial Public Offerings (floating a company) or Private Equity.
Who should attend
Senior executives from non-financial backgrounds operating with financial data who are looking to build confidence and skills in order to make strategically sound financial decisions.
- Senior Managers
- Partner and Senior Consultants
- Senior technical Experts
20% discount (Tuition fee only) for Cranfield School of Management Alumni.
Accommodation options and prices
Tuition, course materials and full board accommodation are included in the price of this course.
This course is provided by Cranfield Management Development Ltd a wholly owned subsidiary of Cranfield University