This collection of stackable modules is designed for those interested in the economy in the widest possible sense. Every business across the globe is directly affected by economic events, making this subject of crucial importance for all.
Working through this subject, you will develop a clearer understanding of the wider economic environment within which managers and businesses operate, you will have the ability to interpret key macroeconomic information, understand the drivers of economic activity, appreciate the role of governments in management of the economy, recognise the causes and consequences of economic challenges including governments’ deficits and debts, inflation and deflation, unemployment and balance of payment problems.
Who is this for?
- People who have an interest in the economy and wish to understand the effects it has on business.
- If you choose to study past our Bronze, Silver and Gold badges, minimum criteria for the Postgraduate Award is an English language speaking IELTS score of 6.5.
How you will study
Our modules are fully stackable and self-paced, so you choose how much you want to learn and when.
- Bronze: 4 hours online, access anytime
- Silver: 6 hours online, access anytime
- Gold: 10 hours live online cohort based learning (live dates are every six months, split across two half-days at times to suit many global time-zones)
Our stacks offer reflection activities throughout which we suggest you allow additional time for, this is at your pace but our guidance is up to 8 hours for Bronze and up to 12 hours for Silver. This is your opportunity to apply your new knowledge and reflect on the impact it can have on you in your current and future roles.
Location: Online – a combination of always available, access anytime and live online.
What you will learn
Bronze – Self-paced
Award: Cranfield Bronze Digital Learning Badge
By the end of your Bronze stack you will be able to:
- Evaluate the importance of macroeconomic data and economic forecasts of relevance to public and private sector managers.
- Analyse the drivers of economic activity and growth in a national economy during and post the 2020/21 Covid pandemic.
- Debate the potential for trade-offs with respect to economic objectives and economic management.
- Analyse the policy tools used by governments and central banks including fiscal, monetary, supply-side, international trade and exchange rate policies.
Silver – Self-paced
Award: Cranfield Silver Digital Learning Badge
Should you want to progress to our Silver stack, by the end of your study you will have developed knowledge enabling you to:
- Analyse and evaluate the role and consequences of government deficit financing policy on individuals and the economy.
- Evaluate the consequences and cures for inflation and the link with unemployment.
- Analyse the economic and social consequences of unemployment and the policy implications.
- Evaluate how governments attempt to correct international trade imbalances.
- Critically analyse the causes of business cycles and the policy options available to governments with respect to the stabilisation of the cycles.
- Critically analyse economic growth theories and evaluate the implications for government policy.
Gold – Live Online
Award: Cranfield Gold Digital Learning Badge
Taking your stack up to Gold level will deepen your knowledge and learning, enabling you to:
- Compile and analyse key macroeconomic indicators for an economy.
- Evaluate the current state of an economy.
- Assess the prospects for the economy in terms of key indicators.
- Identity potential implications for your business, short term and long term.
Completing the Bronze, Silver and Gold Cranfield Digital Badges within this stack alongside those in the Introduction to Financial Management stack and an Integrated Assessment will earn you a Postgraduate Award in Economics and Finance.
To qualify for the PgCert in Business and Management, three core PgAwards are required, which are:
- Making Sense of the Economy and Introduction to Financial Management
- Leadership and Organisational Behaviour
- Strategic Thinking and Strategic Management
The PgCert is a requirement for applying for a PgDip and MSc.
This comprises 3 Postgraduate Awards.
This comprises 6 Postgraduate Awards.
Master of Science (MSc)
PgDip, plus a thesis.