Contact Dr Sue Impey
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754062
- Email: S.A.Impey@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Aerospace Materials
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
BackgroundDr Susan Impey joined Cranfield from the chemical industry. She was awarded an MSc in Materials Science and a PhD in Metallurgical Engineering for work in aluminium alloy oxidation and recycling. Since this time, Dr Impey has conducted research for the Materials Department into oxidation and corrosion aspects of liquid metals for the casting industry, high temperature coatings for the aerospace industry, and ferroelectric ceramics and thin films for the microelectronics manufacturing industry.
Since 1995, Dr Impey has been responsible for the management of analytical equipment for surface and materials characterisation at Cranfield University and all resources including staff. She provided support to the University and a service to industry in materials characterisation and failure analysis using analytical methods. Her research interests also include the use and development of analytical techniques using surface analysis and electron microscopy.
Appointed to the lecturing staff in 2003, and promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2009, she undertakes teaching and academic activities. Dr Impey was appointed as Course Director for the MSc Advanced Materials in 2003 and additionally Course Director for the MSc Microsystems and Nanotechnology in 2008. She is currently Programme Director for the Manufacturing Technology and Materials MSc courses, developing and supporting five MSc programmes in Aerospace Materials (from 2014/15), Advanced Materials, Applied Nanotechnology (formerly Microsystems and Nanotechnology), Welding Engineering and Manufacturing Technology and Management (from 2012/13).
Dr Susan Impey has over 20 years experience and expertise in surface science and engineering. Specific activities include surface modification (protection and corrosion control) of lightweight aerospace materials (aluminium and magnesium) and steels; development of oxide coatings including printable pastes and thin films for smart coating designs. These include high temperature, electrochromic, thermochromic and solar applications and sensors. She supervises PhD, MPhil, MSc by research and MSc projects.
Sue provides technical support to the University and external clients in materials characterisation and surface analysis
Dr Impey coordinates the design and delivery of five masters courses which address recent technical developments in aerospace materials, advanced materials, nanotechnology, welding engineering and manufacturing technology. Sue is also a module leader across these MSc courses. She lectures in research techniques and learning styles, materials characterisation, electrochromic, thermochromic, shape memory materials and magnesium alloys and intermetallic materials.
- Tata Steel
- Man Diesel and Turbo
Recent clients also include:
- EPSRC (CTA and IMRC)
- Airbus UK
- Thin Metal Films Ltd
Articles In Journals
- Isern L, Impey S, Clouser SJ, Milosevic D & Endrino JL (2018) Particle distribution, film formation and wear performance of brush plated Ni/WC, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165 (9) D402-D410.
- Isern L, Impey S, Almond H, Clouser SJ & Endrino JL (2017) Structure zone diagram and particle incorporation of nickel brush plated composite coatings, Scientific Reports, 7 Article No. 44561.
- Xing Z, Nicholls JR & Impey SA (2015) FEA simulation model in support of the mechanical reliability of automotive exhaust gas temperature sensors, Key Engineering Materials, 644 96-100.
- Durazo-Cardenas IS, Noguera-Sagrera A & Impey SA (2014) Analysis of infrared optical polishing effluents and reduction of COD and TSS levels by ultrafiltration and coagulation/flocculation, Desalination and Water Treatment, 52 (25-27) 4612-4621.
- Allen DM, Almond HJA, Bedner K, Cabeza M, Courtot B, Duval A, Impey SA & Saumer M (2008) Processing and characterisation of precision microparts from nickel-based materials, Microsystem Technologies, 15 (8) 1287-1291.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Shore P, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Cox A (2006) 3D characterisation of tool wear whilst diamond turning silicon, Wear, 262 (3-4) 340-349.
- Allen DM, Almond HJA, Gaben F & Impey SA (2005) The causes and prevention of smut on etched AISI 300 stainless steels, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 54 (1) 187-190.
- Dunn SC, Impey SA, Kimpton CM, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2004) Surface diagnostics for scale analysis, Water Science and Technology, 49 (2) 183-190.
- Garcia-Miquel J, Zhang Q, Allen S, Rougier A, Blyr A, Davies H & Impey SA (2003) Nickel Oxide Sol-Gel Films from Nickel Diacetate for Electrochromic Applications, Thin Solid Films, 424 (2) 165-170.
- Allen DM & Impey SA (2003) Scale deposits and the scale of the problem, 90 21-24.
- Rougier A, Blyr A, Garcia J, Zhang Q & Impey SA (2002) Electrochromic W-M-O (M=V,Nb) Sol-Gel Thin Films: A Way to Neutral Colour, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 71 (3) 343-357.
- Williams PA, Jones AC, Bickley JF, Steiner A, Davies HO, Leedham TJ, Impey SA, Garica J, Allen S, Rougier A & Blyr A (2001) Synthesis and crystal structures of dimethylaminoethanol adducts of Ni (II) acetate and Ni (II) acetylacetonate : Precursors for the sol-gel deposition of electrochromic nickel oxide thin films, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 11 (9) 2329-2334.
- Kayes AP, Robinson MJ & Impey S The influence of cleaning and surface treatment on filiform corrosion of aluminium alloys, Journal of Corrosion Science and Engineering, 2 -----.
- Xia P, Almond H & Impey S (2016) Investigation of pre and post plating surface roughness of electroless nickel phosphorus coated substrate for diamond turning application. In: 16th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Nottingham, 30 May - 3 June 2016.
- Adegbite MA, Impey SA & Robinson MJ (2014) The influence of hydrodynamics on the preferential weld corrosion of X65 linepipe steel in flowing brine containing carbon dioxide.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Shore P (2005) Tool-life influence of diamond gems whilst diamond turning of silicon infrared optics. In: 1st International Industrial Diamond Conference, Barcelona, 20 October 2005.
- Jefferson B, Dunn SC, Impey SA, Kimpton CM & Parsons SA (2005) Use of surface diagnostics for struvite scale analysis. In: Proc. Conf. Struvite: Its Role in Phosphorous Recovery and Reuse, Cranfield, UK, 17 February 2005.
- Impey S (eds), (2003) Symposium on electrochromic materials and applications held at the 203rd meeting of the electrochemical society.