Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Aerospace Materials
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
Dr Sue Impey is a
materials scientist with over 30 years expertise in surface characterisation
and thin oxide coatings for a range of applications. Examples include surface protection to
enhance corrosion resistance and novel applications in
Impey has conducted research in surface engineering into oxidation and
corrosion aspects building and industrial pipeline services, casting and
manufacturing industry, high temperature coatings for aerospace, and ceramics
thin film sensors for microelectronics, automotive and aerospace manufacturing sectors.
Dr Impey is the academic lead responsible for the management of analytical equipment for surface and materials characterisation at Cranfield University and all resources. She provides support to the University and a service to industry in materials characterisation and failure analysis using analytical methods. She instigated and delivered (March 2021) a significant investment in scanning electron microscopy for the University for the benefit of external clients, students and staff.
Appointed to the lecturing staff in 2003, and Senior Lecturer in 2009, she
undertakes teaching and academic activities. Dr Impey has developed and
directed Manufacturing Technology and Materials MSc courses since 2003 for the University supporting MSc programmes in
Aerospace Materials, Advanced Materials, Applied Nanotechnology, Microsystems
and Nanotechnology), Welding Engineering, Manufacturing Technology and
Management and the recent level 7 Apprenticeship (Mastership) in materials
process engineering. She currently directs the Aerospace Materials MSc.
Sue joined Cranfield from the chemical industry in 1995. She has a PhD in Metallurgical Engineering for work in aluminium alloy oxidation and recycling and MSc in Aerospace Materials.
Dr Impey seeks excellent PhD candidates who are eager to learn and carry out research in nanomaterials, surface engineering, thin films, coating manufacturing development and component lifetimes. Information on fees and funding opportunities can be found at: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/taught-degrees/fees-and-funding
Current vacancies in Dr Impey's Group:
PhD/MPhil/MRes in Flexible Electrochromic Materials. Research on the design, selection, formulation, manufacturing, and development of electrochromic smart windows and their integration with PV devices for application in ODA countries. For further details please contact Dr Indrat Aria and Dr Impey
in sensors and lifetime predictive methods for determining coating degradation, corrosion under
insulation and galvanic corrosion in collaboration with Tata Steel and support to
the Building and Industrial Services Pipeline Academy. For further details
please contact Dr Impey
PhD/MPhil/MRes in novel materials approaches to infection control. Opportunities for research in sanitising surfaces for COVID-19 or infection control for orthopaedic implants. For further details please contact Dr Indrat Aria, Dr Iva Chianella and Dr Impey
We are interested to hear from you if you have an MSc (or close to completion) in materials science/engineering, physical/electro-chemistry, mechanical/electrical engineering, micro/nanotechnology, biology/bioscience or relevant thin film manufacturing and characterisation disciplines. For further details please contact Dr Impey or Dr's Aria and Chianella
Dr Impey’s research interests in surface science and engineering include surface modification (protection and corrosion control) of lightweight aerospace materials (aluminium and magnesium) and steels; development of oxide coatings including printable pastes and thin films for smart coating designs. These include high temperature, electrochromic, thermochromic and solar applications and sensors
Previous and ongoing research projects include:
- UKRI Innovate UK 133908: Flexible Electrochromic Windows with Photovoltaic Generation
- HEIF/Tata Steel, Corby UK: Corrosion and Service Life Testing; pre-commission cleaning, commissioning, life prediction of pipeline materials for building and industrial services pipelines.
- EPSRC/ Sophion Bioscience A/S Denmark: Measurement system to determine the mechanical properties of 3D printed hydrogel structures
- EPSRC/BAE Systems: Structural health monitoring of composite structures using securely embedded fibre optic sensors and low cost COTS connectors
- Aqua Holdings Ltd Ukraine: Environmentally acceptable corrosion and scale inhibitors in circulating open cooling water systems
- Novel technologies for the manufacture of promising new green materials such as biofuels and lactic acid
- Protection of magnesium alloys from corrosion using magnesium rich surfaces
- Control of Magnesium Alloy Corrosion Through the use of Engineered Intermetallics
- Descriptors for Assessing Electroless Nickel-Phosphorous Coatings for Diamond Turning Capability
- Environmentally acceptable corrosion and scale inhibitors in circulating open cooling water systems
- Corrosion of High Strength Pipeline Steel Weldment Using Submerged Jet Impingement
- Predicting Service Life of Steel Tubes in Building and Industrial Services
- Wear resistant nickel composite coatings deposited by brush electroplating Ni/WC, Ni/PT;FE and Ni/Cr3C2.
- Thin Metal Films Ltd
- Sophion Ltd
- Tata Steel
- Building and Industrial Services Pipeline Academy
- BAE Systems,
Relevant previous clients include:
- EPSRC (CTA and IMRC)
- MOD, HMGCC, DSTL, Qioptiq
- Airbus UK, Rolls-Royce
- SIFCO ASC,
- Man Diesel and Turbo
Articles In Journals
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Impey SA, Aria AI, Holbrough IE & Beck JC (2021) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems, Acta Astronautica, Available online 10 June 2021.
- Balinski K, Jahns K, Schroth M, Bursich S, Salinne J, Impey S, Chalk C, WuebbeInnann J, Nicholls JR & Krupp U (2018) Oxidation behaviour of synthetic stainless steel interdiffusion layers, Materials at High Temperatures, 35 (1-3) 89-96.
- Isern L, Impey S, Clouser SJ, Milosevic D & Endrino JL (2018) Particle distribution, film formation and wear performance of brush plated Ni/WC, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165 (9) D402-D410.
- Isern L, Impey S, Almond H, Clouser SJ & Endrino JL (2017) Structure zone diagram and particle incorporation of nickel brush plated composite coatings, Scientific Reports, 7 Article No. 44561.
- Xing Z, Nicholls JR & Impey SA (2015) FEA simulation model in support of the mechanical reliability of automotive exhaust gas temperature sensors, Key Engineering Materials, 644 96-100.
- Durazo-Cardenas IS, Noguera-Sagrera A & Impey SA (2014) Analysis of infrared optical polishing effluents and reduction of COD and TSS levels by ultrafiltration and coagulation/flocculation, Desalination and Water Treatment, 52 (25-27) 4612-4621.
- Allen DM, Almond HJA, Bedner K, Cabeza M, Courtot B, Duval A, Impey SA & Saumer M (2008) Processing and characterisation of precision microparts from nickel-based materials, Microsystem Technologies, 15 (8) 1287-1291.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Shore P, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Cox A (2006) 3D characterisation of tool wear whilst diamond turning silicon, Wear, 262 (3-4) 340-349.
- Allen DM, Almond HJA, Gaben F & Impey SA (2005) The causes and prevention of smut on etched AISI 300 stainless steels, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 54 (1) 187-190.
- Dunn SC, Impey SA, Kimpton CM, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2004) Surface diagnostics for scale analysis, Water Science and Technology, 49 (2) 183-190.
- Garcia-Miquel J, Zhang Q, Allen S, Rougier A, Blyr A, Davies H & Impey SA (2003) Nickel Oxide Sol-Gel Films from Nickel Diacetate for Electrochromic Applications, Thin Solid Films, 424 (2) 165-170.
- Allen DM & Impey SA (2003) Scale deposits and the scale of the problem, 90 21-24.
- Rougier A, Blyr A, Garcia J, Zhang Q & Impey SA (2002) Electrochromic W-M-O (M=V,Nb) Sol-Gel Thin Films: A Way to Neutral Colour, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 71 (3) 343-357.
- Williams PA, Jones AC, Bickley JF, Steiner A, Davies HO, Leedham TJ, Impey SA, Garica J, Allen S, Rougier A & Blyr A (2001) Synthesis and crystal structures of dimethylaminoethanol adducts of Ni (II) acetate and Ni (II) acetylacetonate : Precursors for the sol-gel deposition of electrochromic nickel oxide thin films, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 11 (9) 2329-2334.
- Kayes AP, Robinson MJ & Impey S The influence of cleaning and surface treatment on filiform corrosion of aluminium alloys, Journal of Corrosion Science and Engineering, 2 -----.
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Holbrough IE, Beck JC, Impey SA & Aria AI (2020) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC-20): The Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Xia P, Almond H & Impey S (2016) Investigation of pre and post plating surface roughness of electroless nickel phosphorus coated substrate for diamond turning application. In: 16th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Nottingham, 30 May - 3 June 2016.
- Adegbite MA, Impey SA & Robinson MJ (2014) The influence of hydrodynamics on the preferential weld corrosion of X65 linepipe steel in flowing brine containing carbon dioxide. In: Corrosion 2014, San Antonio, TX, 9-13 March 2014.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Shore P (2005) Tool-life influence of diamond gems whilst diamond turning of silicon infrared optics. In: 1st International Industrial Diamond Conference, Barcelona, 20 October 2005.
- Jefferson B, Dunn SC, Impey SA, Kimpton CM & Parsons SA (2005) Use of surface diagnostics for struvite scale analysis. In: Proc. Conf. Struvite: Its Role in Phosphorous Recovery and Reuse, Cranfield, UK, 17 February 2005.
- Impey S (eds), (2003) Symposium on electrochromic materials and applications held at the 203rd meeting of the electrochemical society.