Contact Dr Sue Impey
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754062
- Email: S.A.Impey@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Aerospace Materials
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
Dr Sue Impey is a materials scientist with over 30 years expertise in surface characterisation and thin oxide coatings for a range of applications. Examples include surface protection to enhance corrosion resistance and novel applications for sustainability. Dr Impey has conducted research in surface protection and corrosion control) for lightweight aerospace materials and steels for the building and industrial pipeline services. Research includes development of oxide coatings and thin films for smart coating designs. These include high temperature coatings for aerospace, electrochromic, thermochromic and solar applications and ceramic thin film sensors for microelectronics, automotive and aerospace manufacturing sectors.
Dr Impey is the academic lead responsible for the management of analytical equipment for surface and materials characterisation at Cranfield University and all resources. She provides support to the University and a service to industry in materials characterisation and failure analysis using analytical methods. She instigated and delivered (March 2021) a significant investment in scanning electron microscopy for the University for the benefit of external clients, students and staff.
A Senior Lecturer, Sue undertakes teaching and academic activities. Dr Impey has developed and directed Manufacturing Technology and Materials MSc courses since 2003 for the University supporting MSc programmes in Aerospace Materials, Advanced Materials, Applied Nanotechnology, Manufacturing Technology and Management and the level 7 Apprenticeship (Mastership) in materials process engineering. She currently directs the Aerospace Materials MSc.
Dr Impey seeks excellent PhD candidates who are eager to learn and carry out research in nanomaterials, surface engineering, thin films, coating manufacturing development and component lifetimes. Information on fees and funding opportunities can be found at: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/taught-degrees/fees-and-funding
Current vacancies in Dr Impey's Group:
PhD/MPhil/MRes in new generation batteries. Research on the design, selection, formulation, manufacturing, and development of batteries beyond lithium. For further details please contact Dr Indrat Aria and Dr Impey
in sensors and lifetime predictive methods for determining coating degradation, corrosion under
insulation and galvanic corrosion in collaboration with Tata Steel and support to
the Building and Industrial Services Pipeline Academy. For further details
please contact Dr Impey
PhD/MPhil/MRes in novel materials approaches to infection control. Opportunities for infection control for orthopaedic implants. For further details please contact Dr Iva Chianella and Dr Impey
We are interested to hear from you if you have an MSc (or close to completion) in materials science/engineering, physical/electro-chemistry, mechanical/electrical engineering, micro/nanotechnology, biology/bioscience or relevant thin film manufacturing and characterisation disciplines. For further details please contact Dr Impey or Dr's Aria and Chianella
Dr Impey’s research interests in surface science and engineering include surface modification (protection and corrosion control) of lightweight aerospace materials (aluminium and magnesium) and steels; development of novel materials and processing techniques aligned to sustainable development goals, with REACH compliant materials which use electrochemical processes, such as smart colouring windows, novel batteries, and hydrogen produced by electrolysis.
Previous and ongoing research projects include:
- UKRI Innovate UK 133908: Flexible Electrochromic Windows with Photovoltaic Generation
- HEIF/Tata Steel, Corby UK: Corrosion and Service Life Testing; pre-commission cleaning, commissioning, life prediction of pipeline materials for building and industrial services pipelines.
- EPSRC/ Sophion Bioscience A/S Denmark: Measurement system to determine the mechanical properties of 3D printed hydrogel structures
- EPSRC/BAE Systems: Structural health monitoring of composite structures using securely embedded fibre optic sensors and low cost COTS connectors
- Aqua Holdings Ltd Ukraine: Environmentally acceptable corrosion and scale inhibitors in circulating open cooling water systems
- Novel technologies for the manufacture of promising new green materials such as biofuels and lactic acid
- Protection of magnesium alloys from corrosion using magnesium rich surfaces
- Control of Magnesium Alloy Corrosion Through the use of Engineered Intermetallics
- Descriptors for Assessing Electroless Nickel-Phosphorous Coatings for Diamond Turning Capability
- Environmentally acceptable corrosion and scale inhibitors in circulating open cooling water systems
- Corrosion of High Strength Pipeline Steel Weldment Using Submerged Jet Impingement
- Predicting Service Life of Steel Tubes in Building and Industrial Services
- Wear resistant nickel composite coatings deposited by brush electroplating Ni/WC, Ni/PT;FE and Ni/Cr3C2.
- Thin Metal Films Ltd
- Sophion Ltd
- Tata Steel
- Building and Industrial Services Pipeline Academy
- BAE Systems,
Relevant previous clients include:
- EPSRC (CTA and IMRC)
- Airbus UK, Rolls-Royce
- SIFCO ASC,
Articles In Journals
- Khalili MH, Zhang R, Wilson S, Goel S, Impey SA & Aria AI (2023) Additive manufacturing and physicomechanical characteristics of PEGDA hydrogels: recent advances and perspective for tissue engineering, Polymers, 15 (10) Article No. 2341.
- Khalili MH, Panchal V, Dulebo A, Hawi S, Zhang R, Wilson S, Dossi E, Goel S, Impey SA & Aria AI (2023) Mechanical behavior of 3d printed poly(ethylene glycol) diacrylate hydrogels in hydrated conditions investigated using atomic force microscopy, ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 5 (4) 3034-3042. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19208487
- Khalili MH, Williams CJ, Micallef C, Duarte-Martinez F, Asfar A, Zhang R, Wilson S, Dossi E, Impey SA, Goel S & Aria AI (2023) Nanoindentation response of 3D printed PEGDA hydrogels in hydrated environment, ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 5 (2) 1180-1190. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19390616
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Impey SA, Aria AI, Holbrough IE & Beck JC (2022) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems, Acta Astronautica, 195 (June) 540-546.
- Khalili MH, Asfar A, Zhang R, Wilson S, Dossi E, Goel S, Impey SA & Aria AI (2022) Thermal response of multi-layer UV crosslinked PEGDA hydrogels, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 195 (January) Article No. 109805. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.15169203.v1
- Cox R, Salonitis K, Rebrov E & Impey SA (2022) Revisiting the effect of U-bends, flow parameters, and feasibility for scale-up on residence time distribution curves for a continuous bioprocessing oscillatory baffled flow reactor, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 61 (30) 11181-11196.
- Shehu NU, Impey S & Ganguly S (2022) Corrosion behaviour of wire plus arc additive manufacturing (WAAM) built high strength pipeline steels, RHAZES: Green and Applied Chemistry, 14 95-115.
- Impey S, Saxena P & Salonitis K (2021) Selective laser sintering induced residual stresses: precision measurement and prediction, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 5 (3) Article No. 101.
- Balinski K, Jahns K, Schroth M, Bursich S, Salinne J, Impey S, Chalk C, WuebbeInnann J, Nicholls JR & Krupp U (2018) Oxidation behaviour of synthetic stainless steel interdiffusion layers, Materials at High Temperatures, 35 (1-3) 89-96.
- Isern L, Impey S, Clouser SJ, Milosevic D & Endrino JL (2018) Particle distribution, film formation and wear performance of brush plated Ni/WC, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165 (9) D402-D410.
- Isern L, Impey S, Almond H, Clouser SJ & Endrino JL (2017) Structure zone diagram and particle incorporation of nickel brush plated composite coatings, Scientific Reports, 7 Article No. 44561.
- Xing Z, Nicholls JR & Impey SA (2015) FEA simulation model in support of the mechanical reliability of automotive exhaust gas temperature sensors, Key Engineering Materials, 644 96-100.
- Durazo-Cardenas IS, Noguera-Sagrera A & Impey SA (2014) Analysis of infrared optical polishing effluents and reduction of COD and TSS levels by ultrafiltration and coagulation/flocculation, Desalination and Water Treatment, 52 (25-27) 4612-4621.
- Allen DM, Almond HJA, Bedner K, Cabeza M, Courtot B, Duval A, Impey SA & Saumer M (2008) Processing and characterisation of precision microparts from nickel-based materials, Microsystem Technologies, 15 (8) 1287-1291.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Shore P, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Cox A (2006) 3D characterisation of tool wear whilst diamond turning silicon, Wear, 262 (3-4) 340-349.
- Allen DM, Almond HJA, Gaben F & Impey SA (2005) The causes and prevention of smut on etched AISI 300 stainless steels, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 54 (1) 187-190.
- Dunn SC, Impey SA, Kimpton CM, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2004) Surface diagnostics for scale analysis, Water Science and Technology, 49 (2) 183-190.
- Garcia-Miquel J, Zhang Q, Allen S, Rougier A, Blyr A, Davies H & Impey SA (2003) Nickel Oxide Sol-Gel Films from Nickel Diacetate for Electrochromic Applications, Thin Solid Films, 424 (2) 165-170.
- Allen DM & Impey SA (2003) Scale deposits and the scale of the problem, 90 21-24.
- Rougier A, Blyr A, Garcia J, Zhang Q & Impey SA (2002) Electrochromic W-M-O (M=V,Nb) Sol-Gel Thin Films: A Way to Neutral Colour, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 71 (3) 343-357.
- Williams PA, Jones AC, Bickley JF, Steiner A, Davies HO, Leedham TJ, Impey SA, Garica J, Allen S, Rougier A & Blyr A (2001) Synthesis and crystal structures of dimethylaminoethanol adducts of Ni (II) acetate and Ni (II) acetylacetonate : Precursors for the sol-gel deposition of electrochromic nickel oxide thin films, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 11 (9) 2329-2334.
- Kayes AP, Robinson MJ & Impey S The influence of cleaning and surface treatment on filiform corrosion of aluminium alloys, Journal of Corrosion Science and Engineering, 2 -----.
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Holbrough IE, Beck JC, Impey SA & Aria AI (2020) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC-20): The Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Xia P, Almond H & Impey S (2016) Investigation of pre and post plating surface roughness of electroless nickel phosphorus coated substrate for diamond turning application. In: 16th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Nottingham, 30 May - 3 June 2016.
- Adegbite MA, Impey SA & Robinson MJ (2014) The influence of hydrodynamics on the preferential weld corrosion of X65 linepipe steel in flowing brine containing carbon dioxide. In: Corrosion 2014, San Antonio, TX, 9-13 March 2014.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Shore P (2005) Tool-life influence of diamond gems whilst diamond turning of silicon infrared optics. In: 1st International Industrial Diamond Conference, Barcelona, 20 October 2005.
- Jefferson B, Dunn SC, Impey SA, Kimpton CM & Parsons SA (2005) Use of surface diagnostics for struvite scale analysis. In: Proc. Conf. Struvite: Its Role in Phosphorous Recovery and Reuse, Cranfield, UK, 17 February 2005.
- Impey S (eds), (2003) Symposium on electrochromic materials and applications held at the 203rd meeting of the electrochemical society.