Contact Dr Indrat Aria
Areas of expertise
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
- Ultraprecision & Nano-engineering
Dr Aria is a material scientist with expertise in growth and integration of low-dimensional nanomaterials for novel applications in sustainability. Prior to joining Cranfield University as a Lecturer in Manufacturing, Dr Aria was a Post-Doctoral Research Associate in the Department of Engineering and a College Research Associate in the Clare College at Cambridge University, UK (2013-2017). He received a PhD in Aeronautics from California Institute of Technology, USA (2013), at which he was awarded the prestigious William F. Ballhaus Prize for his outstanding doctoral dissertation. He received an MSc degree from the Department of Aeronautics at California Institute of Technology, USA (2008) and a BSc degree with Honours (cum laude) from the Department of Aeronautics at Bandung Institute of Technology, Indonesia (2006). He was also a recipient of Fulbright fellowship (2007-2012) and the Green Talent Award from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) as a recognition of his leadership potential in research in the field of sustainability (2014).
Current vacancies in Dr Aria's group:
- Research Assistant in Flexible Electrochromic Materials. We are interested in hearing from you if you have an MSc (or close to completion) in materials science/engineering, physical/electro-chemistry, mechanical/electrical engineering, micro/nanotechnology, as well as relevant thin film manufacturing and characterisation disciplines. The project is on the design, selection, formulation, manufacturing, and development of electrochromic smart windows and their integration with PV devices for application in ODA countries. Please see further details and apply at: https://jobs.cranfield.ac.uk/vacancy/research-assistant-in-flexible-electrochromic-materials-417640.html
- We are continuously looking for PhD candidates who are eager to learn and carry out research in the area of nanomaterials, surface engineering, thin films, and coatings. Information on fees and funding opportunities can be found at: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/taught-degrees/fees-and-funding
Dr Aria research interests include the synthesis methods of hierarchical and 3D assemblies of low-dimensional nanomaterials, surface and interface engineering, integration of nano-bulk materials, and ultrathin films and coatings.
Previous and ongoing research projects include:
- H2020 MSCA-RISE 645725: Framework of Innovation for Engineering of New Durable Solar Surfaces (FRIENDS2), http://www.friends2project.eu/
- IMAGE: Photoluminescent Coatings for Photovoltaics, https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/case-studies/research-case-studies/image-lambda-stretch-ltd
- UKRI Innovate UK 133908: Flexible Electrochromic Windows with Photovoltaic Generation
- UKRI Innovate UK 133913: Luminescent Downshifting to Improve Photovoltaic Efficiency in Regions with High Solar Irradiance
- Lambda Energy
- BAE Systems
- Thin Metal Films
- Lakshmi Machine Works
- Innovative Nano and Micro Technologies
- Vero Grid
Articles In Journals
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Impey SA, Aria AI, Holbrough IE & Beck JC (2021) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems, Acta Astronautica, Available online 10 June 2021.
- Khaleque T, Zhang X, Kumar Thakur V, Indrat Aria A & Yazdani Nezhad H (2021) Tailoring of thermo-mechanical properties of hybrid composite-metal bonded joints, Polymers, 13 (2) Article No. 170.
- Micallef C, Zhuk Y & Aria I (2020) Recent progress in precision machining and surface finishing of tungsten carbide hard composite coatings, Coatings, 10 (8) Article No. 731.
- Dukhi Almutairi M, Indrat Aria A, Kumar Thakur V & Khan MA (2020) Self-healing mechanisms for 3D-printed polymeric structures: from lab to reality, Polymers, 12 (7) Article No. 1534.
- Di Nuzzo D, Mizuta R, Nakanishi K, Martin MB, Aria AI, Weatherup R, Friend RH, Hofmann S & Alexander-Webber J (2020) Graphene-passivated nickel as an efficient hole-injecting electrode for large area organic semiconductor devices, Applied Physics Letters, 116 (16) Article No. 163301. Dataset/s: 10.17863/CAM.51196
- Nakanishi K, Aria AI, Berwind M, Weatherup RS, Eberl C, Hofmann S & Fleck NA (2018) Compressive behavior and failure mechanisms of freestanding and composite 3D graphitic foams, Acta Materialia, 159 (October) 187-196.
- Cabrero-Vilatela A, Alexander-Webber JA, Sagade A, Aria AI, Braeuninger-Weimer P, Martin MB, Weatherup R & Hofmann S (2017) Atomic layer deposited oxide films as protective interface layers for integrated graphene transfer, Nanotechnology, 28 (48) Article No. 485201.
- Kindness SJ, Jessop DS, Wei B, Wallis R, Kamboj VS, Xiao L, Ren Y, Braeuninger-Weimer P, Aria AI, Hofmann S, Beere HE, Ritchie DA & Degl’Innocenti R (2017) External amplitude and frequency modulation of a terahertz quantum cascade laser using metamaterial/graphene devices, Scientific Reports, 7 (1) Article No. 7657.
- Cebo T, Aria AI, Dolan JA, Weatherup RS, Nakanishi K, Kidambi PR, Divitini G, Ducati C, Steiner U & Hofmann S (2017) Chemical vapour deposition of freestanding sub-60 nm graphene gyroids, Applied Physics Letters, 111 (25) Article No. 253103.
- Caneva S, Martin M-B, D'Arsie L, Aria AI, Sezen H, Amati M, Gregoratti L, Sugime H, Esconjauregui S, Robertson J, Hofmann S & Weatherup RS (2017) From growth surface to device interface: preserving metallic Fe under monolayer hexagonal boron nitride, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9 (35) 29973-29981. Dataset/s: 10.1021/acsami.7b08717.
- Alexander-Webber JA, Sagade AA, Aria AI, Van Veldhoven ZA, Braeuninger-Weimer P, Wang RZ, Cabrero-Vilatela A, Martin MB, Sui JG, Connolly MR & Hofmann S (2017) Encapsulation of graphene transistors and vertical device integration by interface engineering with atomic layer deposited oxide, 2D Materials, 4 (1) 1-9.
- Degl'Innocenti R, X Long, Kindness SJ, Kamboj VS, Wei B, Braeuninger-Weimer P, Nakanishi K, Aria AI, Hofmann S, Beere HE & Ritchie DA (2017) Bolometric detection of terahertz quantum cascade laser radiation with graphene-plasmonic antenna arrays, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 50 (17) Article No. 174001.
- Sagade AA, Aria AI, Edge S, Melgari P, Gieseking B, Bayer BC, Meyer JC, Bird D, Brewer P & Hofmann S (2017) Graphene-based nanolaminates as ultra-high permeation barriers, npj 2D Materials and Applications, 1 (35) Article No. 35, 2017.
- Aria AI, Nakanishi K, Xiao L, Braeuninger-Weimer P, Sagade AA, Alexander-Webber JA & Hofmann S (2016) Parameter space of atomic layer deposition of ultra-thin oxides on graphene, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 8 (44) 30564-30575.
- Aria AI, Kidambi PR, Weatherup RS, Xiao L, Williams JA & and Hofmann S. (2016) Time evolution of the wettability of supported graphene under ambient air exposure, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 120 (4) 2215-2224.
- Aria AI, Lyon BJ & Gharib M (2015) Morphology engineering of hollow carbon nanotube pillars by oxygen plasma treatment, Carbon, 81 (January) 376-387.
- Sanders S, Cabrero-Vilatela A, Kidambi PR, Alexander-Webber JA, Weijtens C, Braeuninger-Weimer P, Aria AI, Qasim MM, Wilkinson TD, Robertson J, Hofmann S & Meyer J. (2015) Engineering high charge transfer n-doping of graphene electrodes and its application to organic electronics, Nanoscale, 7 (30) 13135-13142.
- Aria AI & Gharib M. (2014) Physiocchemical characteristics and droplet impact dynamics of superhydrophobic carbon nanotube arrays, Langmuir, 30 (23) 6780-6790.
- Bradley JL, Aria AI & Gharib M (2014) Fabrication of carbon nanotube—polyimide composite hollow microneedles for transdermal drug delivery, Biomedical Microdevices, 16 (6) 879-886.
- Pryzhkova MV, Aria AI, Cheng Q, Harris GM, Zan X, Gharib M & Jabbarzadeh E (2014) Carbon nanotube-based substrates for modulation of human pluripotent stem cell fate, Biomaterials, 35 (19) 5098-5109.
- Aria AI, Gani AW & Gharib M (2013) Effect of dry oxidation on the energy gap and chemical composition of CVD graphene on nickel, Applied Surface Science, 293 (February 2014) 1-11.
- Lyon BJ, Aria AI & Gharib M. (2013) Feasibility study of carbon nanotube microneedles for rapid transdermal drug delivery, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 1569 239-244.
- Aria AI & Gharib M (2013) Dry oxidation and vacuum annealing treatments for tuning the wetting properties of carbon nanotube arrays, Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2013 (74) Article No. e50378.
- Aria AI & Gharib M. (2012) Effect of dry oxidation on the performance of carbon nanotube arrays electrochemical capacitors, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 1407 129-134.
- Aria AI & Gharib M (2011) Reversible tuning of the wettability of carbon nanotube arrays: the effect of ultraviolet/ozone and vacuum pyrolysis treatments, Langmuir, 27 (14) 9005-9011.
- Aria AI, Gani AW & Gharib M. (2011) Band gap opening of graphene after UV/ozone and oxygen plasma treatments, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 1284.
- An D, Nourry J, Gharavian S, Thakur VK, Aria I, Cardenas I, Khaleque T & Nezhad HY (2020) Strain self-sensing tailoring in functionalised carbon nanotubes/epoxy nanocomposites in response to electrical resistance change measurement. In: TESConf 2020 - 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Online, 3-4 November 2020.
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Holbrough IE, Beck JC, Impey SA & Aria AI (2020) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC-20): The Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Guittet M, Aria AI & Gharib M (2011) Use of vertically-aligned carbon nanotube array to enhance the performance of electrochemical capacitors. In: 2011 11th IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology, Portland, OR, 15-18 August 2011.
- Aria AI & Gharib M (2011) Carbon nanotube arrays with tunable wettability and their applications. In: NSTI Nanotech 2011, Boston, MA, 13-16 June 2011.
- Aria AI, Guittet M & Gharib M. (2013) Use of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes for electrochemical double-layer capacitors. In: Nanoelectronic Device Applications Handbook, CRC Press, p. 445-457.