Contact Dr Gustavo M. Castelluccio
Gustavo M. Castelluccio obtained his Ph.D. from the Georgia Institute of Technology (USA) where he investigated the early stages of fatigue damage by explicitly modelling cracks meandering through the microstructure. Later on he joined the Component Science and Mechanics department at Sandia National Laboratories (USA). There, his work focused on integrated constitutive models and multiscale modelling of components.
His research at Cranfield focuses on understanding the effects of mesoscales on the mechanical response of engineering components by developing physics-based models for fatigue and fracture. This work integrates microstructural attributes with manufacturing routes and structural reliability.
Articles In Journals
- Castelluccio G, Geller CB & McDowell DL (2018) A rationale for modeling hydrogen effects on plastic deformation across scales in FCC metals, International Journal of Plasticity, 111 (December) 72-84.
- Clark BC, Catelluccio GM, Reiterer M, McDowell DL & Neu RW (2018) Microstructure-sensitive fatigue modeling of medical-grade fine wire, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, Early online (1).
- Yuan H, Zhang W, Castelluccio GM, Kim J & Liu Y (2018) Microstructure-sensitive estimation of small fatigue crack growth in bridge steel welds, International Journal of Fatigue, 112 (July) 183-197.
- Barrios A, Gupta S, Castelluccio GM & Pierron ON (2018) Quantitative in situ SEM high cycle fatigue: The critical role of oxygen on nanoscale-void-controlled nucleation and propagation of small cracks in Ni microbeams, Nano Letters, 18 (4) 2595-2602.
- Castelluccio GM & Brake MRW (2017) On the origin of computational model sensitivity, error, and uncertainty in threaded fasteners, Computers and Structures, 186 (July) 1-10.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2017) Mesoscale cyclic crystal plasticity with dislocation substructures, International Journal of Plasticity, 98 (November) 1-26.
- Hennessey C, Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2017) Sensitivity of polycrystal plasticity to slip system kinematic hardening laws for Al 7075-T6, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 687 (February) 241-248.
- Castelluccio GM, Musinski WD & McDowell DL (2016) Computational micromechanics of fatigue of microstructures in the HCF–VHCF regimes, International Journal of Fatigue, 93 (2) 387-396.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2016) Microstructure-sensitive small fatigue crack growth assessment: Effect of strain ratio, multiaxial strain state, and geometric discontinuities, International Journal of Fatigue, 82 (3) 521-529.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2015) Microstructure and mesh sensitivities of mesoscale surrogate driving force measures for transgranular fatigue cracks in polycrystals, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 639 (July) 626-639.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2014) Mesoscale modeling of microstructurally small fatigue cracks in metallic polycrystals, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 598 (March) 34-55.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2014) A mesoscale approach for growth of 3D microstructurally small fatigue cracks in polycrystals, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 23 (6) 791-818.
- Castelluccio GM, Musinski WD & McDowell DL (2014) Recent developments in assessing microstructure-sensitive early stage fatigue of polycrystals, Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, 18 (4) 180-187.
- Przybyla CP, Musinski WD, Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2013) Microstructure-sensitive HCF and VHCF simulations, International Journal of Fatigue, 57 9-27.
- Castelluccio GM, Perez Ipiña JE, Yawny AA & Ernst HA (2013) Fracture testing of the heat affected zone from welded steel pipes using an in situ stage, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 98 (1) 52-63.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2013) Effect of annealing twins on crack initiation under high cycle fatigue conditions, Journal of Materials Science, 48 (6) 2376-2387.
- Castelluccio GM, Yawny AA, Perez Ipiña JE & Ernst HA (2012) In situ evaluation of tensile properties of heat-affected zones from welded steel pipes, Strain, 48 (1) 68-74.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2012) Assessment of small fatigue crack growth driving forces in single crystals with and without slip bands, International Journal of Fracture, 176 (1) 49-64.
- Castelluccio GM, Gervasoni JL, Cruz-Jimenez S. & Abriata JP (2007) Characterization of the energy of hydrogen under pressure in pure metals, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 32 (16) 3972-3975.
- Flicek RC, Moore KJ, Castelluccio GM, Brake MRW, Truster T & Hammetter CI (2016) Stress waves propagating through bolted joints. In: 34th IMAC, Conference and Exposition of Structural Dynamics, 2016, Orlando, FL, 25-28 January 2016.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2013) Fatigue life prediction of polycrystals under multiaxial straining. In: 13th International Conference on Fracture 2013, ICF 2013, Beijing, 16-21 June 2013.
- Castelluccio G. & McDowell D. (2013) Variability of the fatigue driving force within grains of polycrystals. In: 13th International Conference on Fracture 2013, ICF 2013, Beijing, 16-21 June 2013.
- Castelluccio GM & McDowell DL (2012) Fatigue life prediction of microstructures. In: ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2012), Houston, TX, 9-15 November 2012.
- Castelluccio GM, Cravero S, Bravo R & Ernst H (2011) Mismatch effect on fracture driving force in mismatched girth welded pipes. In: ASME 2011 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2011), Baltimore, MA, 17-21 July 2011.
- Castelluccio GM, Cravero S. & Ernst HA (2008) Influence of weld mismatch on the structural integrity of pipes for reeling. In: ASME 2008 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2008), Chicago, Illinois, 27-31 July 2008.