Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Structures and Materials
- Surface Engineering
Dr Adnan Syed has completed his degree in Chemistry from University of Karachi, Pakistan before he moved to UK. He attained his MSc in Electro Chemistry by research from University of Reading and a PhD in Energy Materials from Cranfield University UK. For his PhD he examined the effects of co-fired coal and biomass in air and oxy-firing combustion on fireside corrosion of superheater materials. Prior to his appointment at Cranfield University in December 2018, Dr Syed has worked for various well known multinational organisations (GSK, Colgate Palmolive and Ecolab-Nalco) in the UK, Pakistan and Germany. In his most recent role he provided chemical solutions to R&D/technical teams with a special focus to lead FMEAs towards processes and product development. Overall, Dr Syed has over 10 years of industrial experience.
Dr Syed is involved in the research of high temperature degradation and investigating the effects of environment on the fatigue/stress corrosion and static corrosion. He focuses on the thermochemistry by using an advanced thermodynamic database software for a better understanding of the corrosion reaction mechanisms and corrosion experimental validations. He is actively involved in advanced microscopy techniques for the alloy’s microstructure details. The outcome of Dr Syed research is critical to the world leading aircraft engine manufacturers for the development of improved lifing of alloys used for gas turbines. He has several publications on high temperature corrosion and has presented his work in various global forums.
Articles In Journals
- Dudziak T, Hussain T, Simms NJ, Syed AU & Oakey JE (2014) Fireside corrosion degradation of ferritic alloys at 600°C in oxy-fired conditions, Corrosion Science, 79 184-191.
- A.U Syed, N. J Simms, and J. E Oakey, (2013) Fireside Corrosion of Superheater Materials in Coal/Biomass Co-fired Advanced Power Plants, Oxidation of Metals, 80 (5-6) 529-540.
- Hussain T, Syed AU & Simms NJ (2013) Fireside Corrosion of Superheater Materials in Coal/Biomass Co-fired Advanced Power Plants, Oxidation of Metals, 80 (5-6) 529-540.
- Hussain T, Syed AU & Simms NJ (2013) Trends in fireside corrosion damage to superheaters in air and oxy-firing of coal/biomass, Fuel, 113 787-797.
- Syed AU, Simms NJ & Oakey JE (2012) Fireside corrosion of superheaters: Effects of air and oxy-firing of coal and biomass, Fuel, 101 62-73.
- Syed AU, Hussain T, Simms NJ & Oakey JE (2012) Microscopy of fireside corrosion on superheater materials for oxy-fired pulverised fuel power plants, Materials at High Temperatures, 29 (3) 219-228.
- Syed AU, Hussain T, Simms NJ & Oakey JE (2011) Microscopy of Fireside Corrosion on Superheater Materials for Advanced Power Plants. In: 8th International Conference on Microscopy of Oxidation, 2011, Liverpool, 11-13 April 2011.
- Syed AU, Hussain T, Oakey JE & Simms NJ (2011) Fireside corrosion of superheater materials in oxy-fired power plants. In: European Corrosion Congress 2011 (EUROCORR 2011), Stockholm, 4-8 September 2011.