Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
The module is delivered as a 5-day online-based course comprising a mixture of academic lectures, visiting speakers from MOD and defence industry.
At a glance
- 07 - 11 Feb 2022
- DurationFive days
Short Course for Credit fee - £1,310
Standalone Short Course fee - £1,750
What you will learn
The course enables you to understand the application of operational research techniques to the assessment of weapon systems
- Describe the cycle of weapon assessment studies and the measures of performance and effectiveness,
- Demonstrate the application of statistics to weapon delivery errors,
- Discuss the nature of direct fire weapons and demonstrate how to calculate their performance,
- Review the nature of area weapons and demonstrate the use of the damage function and lethal area in the analysis of their effects,
- Use a technique for the analysis of anti- tank minefields,
- Appreciate the different emphasis in the study of guided weapon systems,
- Review the special nature of other weapon systems and the ideas involved in their assessment,
- Evaluate the need and collection methods, for data in models,
- Explain the issues surrounding practical weapon assessment projects including force effectiveness and cost effectiveness analyses.
- Concepts of performance and effectiveness measures,
- Dispersion of fire,
- Accuracy, consistency and precision,
- Calculation of single shot kill probability for direct fire weapons,
- Modelling of area effect weapons (eg shells, grenades) including using the damage function,
- Modelling of minefields and calculation of stopping power,
- Assessment of direct fire systems examples,
- Methods for modelling of land, sea and air targets,
- Approaches to the analysis of various other weapon systems,
- Force effectiveness comparisons,
- Practical exercises to illustrate the theories,
- Cost effectiveness principles.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Find out more about short course credit points.
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
There are limited places on these modules. You may not receive an offer until places have been confirmed, usually 1 to 2 weeks before the start date.
Location and travel
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.