For more information please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section.
This course provides an introduction to architectural design in Information Systems (IS) and considers architectural roles, design methods and processes, and frameworks for representing complex designs. You will be able to identify the components needed to meet the present and future enterprise strategy. Define and assess the interrelationships between architecture components.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days face to face learning (with additional distance learning to be completed during 7 weeks)
£1,310 - Short Course for Credit feeConcessions available
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- Examine the relationship between IS architectures and enterprise strategy,
- Differentiate between different architectural strategies and tactics based on their cost, effectiveness and user needs,
- Critically evaluate IS architecture options against user and business needs,
- Distinguish the steps required to develop an IS architecture,
- Appraise the variety of approaches to architecture development driven by the different architectural frameworks, such as TOGAF, NAF and MODAF.
• What is Systems Architecture, how do IS architectures relate to system architecture?
• How do we align the need for IS architectures with Enterprise needs, Enterprise Architecture Frameworks (including MoD use of TOGAF and NAF),
• How to use viewpoints and views to represent system architectures,
• The strategies, styles and patterns used to develop and assess system architectures
• Applying an architecture design and assessment approach, using architecture quality attributes to define, evaluate and select architecture options.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
After successful completion of this Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the Information Capability Management MSc.
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attend
Students must have successfully completed Foundations of Information Systems in order to take this as a Short Course for Credit.
ConcessionsA limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
Location and travel
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.