This course is part of a suite of three environmental courses to aid MOD environmental officers and staff become practitioners in environmental management.
This course will be delivered either online or face-to-face depending on which dates you choose. The course aims and content remain comparable between the two courses, though there are some key differences you may like to take into account when deciding which version to attend.
The online course includes the same content, but has less emphasis on discussion and group work and therefore places more emphasis on independent study. This means there are fewer networking and opportunities for discussion during the online course, although sessions are set aside specifically for this purpose.
When attending the course online facilitators can only control the internet speeds and digital provision for outgoing video and content. It is recommended that you have a consistent internet connection and are comfortable with using an internet enabled device when taking the online course.
5th - 6th December 2023 Onsite Shrivenham Campus
26th - 27th March 2024 Online
2nd - 3rd July 2024 Onsite Shrivenham Campus
At a glance
- 26 - 27 Mar 2024
- 02 - 03 Jul 2024
- Duration2 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
- Cost£770 Concessions available
Course structureThe sustainable Development in Defence Acquisition course is delivered over two days starting at approximately 09:00 AM and finishing at approximately 17:00 PM. The course is delivered through a combination of presentations and interactive workshops which aim to provide core knowledge and deeper learning.
What you will learn
Sustainable Development in Defence Acquisition is a two-day introduction to sustainable development, and the MOD’s approach to integrating sustainable development in acquisition. The course covers a brief history of sustainable development, case studies of good sustainable practice, and practical tools to aid implementation of sustainable procurement and sustainable business within the MOD. The course aims to assist delegates with the MOD’s commitment to deliver Sustainable Development within Defence Acquisition.
By the end of the package/course delegates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the key challenges of Sustainable Development in defence
- Identify discipline boundaries to pursue Sustainable Development
- Be aware of the potential strategies to maximise benefits and minimise or mitigate potential adverse impacts of defence activities
- Identify potential challenges, risks and impacts
- Definition of sustainable development
- History of sustainable development
- Accountability and ethics in business and organisations
- Sustainable consumption and production
- Tools such as the sustainability appraisal and the Sustainable Procurement Assessment of Risk (SPAR)
- Multiple choice and short essay question exam
Who should attend
This course is aimed at MOD personnel who have a responsibility for sustainable development or environmental management in defence acquisition e.g. environmental officers and managers.