Environmental Management within Defence Acquisition is a mandatory requirement as detailed in the Secretary of State (SoS) for Defence's Policy Statement. This course aims to meet that requirement.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
Course structureThis course consists of taught and assessed elements followed by on-the-job training.
What you will learn
The nature of the equipment and services that the MoD procures is such that they are likely to have some environmental consequences associated with their operations. Therefore exercising effective control mechanisms in order to minimise and mitigate any environmental impacts requires careful management in the acquisition process. Project Oriented Environmental Management Systems (POEMS) has been developed and mandated for all defence acquisition projects in order to enable environmental impacts to be minimised through life of equipment and services.
Previously POEMS was taught as a three day ‘awareness’ course, giving delegates an introduction to the implementation process and an understanding of the main environmental aspects and impacts associated with defence acquisition projects. Due to structural changes within the MoD there is now a growing need for internal expertise in this area. For this reason, the original POEMS course has now been extended to five days and has become part of a practitioner training ‘programme’.
- POEMS requirements, structure and implementation process
- Information regarding application of POEMS to Commercial and Military off the Shelf and User Requirement Documents
- Introduction to influencing and communication skills, restricted materials, available assessment tools and POEMS Audit
- Identifying the need for further environmental assessment in the context of POEMS.
- Continuous assessment in the form of theoretical activities throughout the course
- End of course written exam.
- Completion of practical activities as part of a structured mentored programme.
Who should attend
This course is aimed at personnel who are required to implement POEMS in their Project Team. Attendance of the Environmental Awareness and Compliance in Defence course is a pre-requisite for the POEMS course.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.