The module will give students a clear understanding of the process of strategy development and the discipline of strategic management within a defence acquisition context together with an appreciation of the complexities of international acquisition.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
What you will learn• Understand the evolution of strategic management as a subject,
• Critically evaluate the key similarities and differences between private and public sectors in the development of strategy in general and the MOD in particular,
• Define acquisition in a defence context and identify the implications for skills, information management, business processes and organisational structures within the UK defence context,
• Analyse the wider socio-economic issues associated with defence acquisition in a UK, international and industrial context,
• Demonstrate the ability to apply analytical tools and techniques to a problem,
• Present solutions to problems in both written form and through presentations,
• Argue cogently in a real time environment.
Core contentStrategic Management
• Introducing strategy and the strategy process,
• Strategy development in a public sector setting,
• The strategy process in the MOD,
• The environment and its implications for strategy in the private and public sectors,
• Analytical tools and techniques in strategy formulation,
• Understanding the organisational competencies and capabilities and the specific case of, acquisition within the MOD,
• The role of stakeholders and stakeholder mapping in a public and private sector setting,
• The significance of organisational structure on strategic thinking and direction.
Introduction to Acquisition
• Acquisition within a through-life and capability management context,
• Key acquisition processes and underpinning skill, information and organisational structures,
• Comparison with other national acquisition approaches,
• Collaborative defence acquisition,
• Socio-economic and security context,
• Trends in the global defence industry.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
How to apply
Online application form. UK students are normally expected to attend an interview and financial support is best discussed at that time. Overseas and EU students may be interviewed by telephone.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.