To provide theoretical perspectives and methods of analysis for understanding the nature of contemporary security threats, the tools needed for in-depth examination of emerging challenges, and the measures needed to deal with adverse global outcomes.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
What you will learn• Introduces the traditional threats as well as new and (re)-emerging security challenges,
• Transnational security issues that have global implications,
• Strategic actions and policy developments designed to deal with challenges,
• Noteworthy opportunities for co-operation and collaboration among and within various stakeholders.
Core content• Acquire an understanding of how security threats are defined and addressed,
• Understand the dynamics by which decision makers prioritise security threats,
• Appreciate the ethical, political, and social dilemmas of security policies,
• Think critically about the nature of developing global security needs,
• Evaluate the utility of current leadership theories and models to equip leaders to lead during emergent challenges,
• Articulate informed opinion about pros and cons of policy making dealing with emerging challenges,
• Assess the impact to the UK of emergent global security threats,
• Debate the utility of leadership theory to the challenges leaders face as a result of emerging threats to global security.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
How to apply
Please complete the online application form.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.