Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
The field of electro-optic and infrared (EO/IR) technology continues to progress rapidly. This course is designed to cover more advanced application of EO/IR technology and will enable the student to understand its importance in the context of the wider defence system.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
£2,070 - Short Course for Credit fee
£1,750 - Standalone Short Course fee
What you will learn
The course objectives are for participants:
- to further develop the field of EO/IR technology,
- to understand the underlying principles,
- to appreciate the likely future advances in the technology,
- to appreciate the importance of EO/IR technology in the wider defence system.
The course will cover:
- daylight systems (including lens aberrations, video signals, camera types, modulation transfer function),
- advanced radiometry (including minimum resolvable temperature difference),
- laser principles, laser applications, laser warning receivers, laser directed energy weapons,
- advanced fibre sensors, and
- advanced image processing (including compression techniques).
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attendThis course is suitable for those in the defence and security sectors, both civil and military.
ConcessionsA limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
How to apply
To apply for this course please use the online application form.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.