Contact Dr Marc Pidou
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758328
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
BackgroundDr Marc Pidou obtained his first degree in Applied Sciences from the University of Blois (France) followed by a Masters in Chemical Engineering from the University of Nantes (France). He joined Cranfield University in 2003 to study for a PhD in the application of hybrid membrane processes for greywater recycling. After graduating, he was then appointed Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Membrane Processes in 2007. His research focused on the application of hybrid membrane systems for domestic and industrial wastewater treatment. He moved on to a Research Fellow position in the Advanced Water Management Centre at the University of Queensland (Australia) in 2010, where he contributed to projects studying membrane technologies for water recycling. Dr Pidou then returned to Cranfield Water Science Institute in July 2013 and was promoted to Lecturer in Resource Recovery in 2015.
Dr Pidou's research vision is to scientifically underpin the innovation and development of technologies to deliver a step change in the efficacy of wastewater treatment and resource recovery. Ultimately the aim is to deliver a paradigm shift in how wastewater is viewed and processed in order to support the development of a more sustainable water sector integrated into a circular economy model.
Dr Marc Pidou’s research interests are in:
- Filtration technologies
- Industrial wastewater treatment
- Phosphorus removal
- Resource recovery
- Tertiary solids removal
- Water recycling
His current research activities are focused on the development and optimisation of technologies for phosphorus removal and recovery from wastewater effluents (reactive media, algae, hybrid ion exchange, coagulation), for tertiary solids removal (cloth media filter, sand filter, membranes), for treatment and resource recovery from trade wastes (membranes, anaerobic systems) and for water recycling (reverse osmosis membranes).
- Alfa Laval
- Anglian Water
- BWA Water Additives
- EC H2020
- Severn Trent Water
- Scottish Water
Articles In Journals
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2018) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, Early online.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2018) Consequences of pH change on wastewater depth filtration using a multimedia filter, Water Research, 128 (January) 111-119.
- Whitton R, Santinelli M, Pidou M, Ometto F, Henderson R, Roddick F, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2018) Tertiary nutrient removal from wastewater by immobilised microalgae: impact of wastewater nutrient characteristics and hydraulic retention time (HRT), H2Open Journal, 1 (1) 12-25.
- Ncube P, Pidou M & Jarvis P (2018) The impact of filter bed depth and solids loading using a multimedia filter, Separation Science and Technology, Early online.
- Besançon A, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Jefferson B & Le Corre K S (2017) Impact of pre-treatment technologies on soil aquifer treatment, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, 7 (1) 1-10.
- Whitton R, Le Mével A, Pidou M, Ometto F, Villa R & Jefferson B. (2016) Influence of microalgal N and P composition on wastewater nutrient remediation, Water Research, 91 371-378.
- Mercer E, Cruddas P, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2016) The effect of high hydraulic loading rate on the removal efficiency of a quadruple media filter for tertiary wastewater treatment, Water Research, 107 (December) 102-112.
- Jensen PD, Yap SD, Boyle-Gotla A, Janoschka J, Carney C, Pidou M & Batstone DJ (2015) Anaerobic membrane bioreactors enable high rate treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 97 132-141.
- Filloux E, Wang J, Pidou M, Gernjak W & Yuan Z (2015) Biofouling and scaling control of reverse osmosis membrane using one-step cleaning - potential of acidified nitrite solution as an agent, Journal of Membrane Science, 495 (December) 276-283.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Pidou M, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2015) Microalgae for municipal wastewater nutrient remediation: mechanisms, reactors and outlook for tertiary treatment, Environmental Technology Reviews, 4 (1) 133-148.
- Doederer K, Farré MJ, Pidou M, Weinberg HS & Gernjak W (2014) Rejection of disinfection by-products by RO and NF membranes: Influence of solute properties and operational parameters, Journal of Membrane Science, 467 195-205.
- Boyle-Gotla A, Jensen PD, Yap SD, Pidou M, Wang Y & Batstone DJ (2014) Dynamic multidimensional modelling of submerged membrane bioreactor fouling, Journal of Membrane Science, 467 153-161.
- Ayache C, Pidou M, Croue JP, Labanowski J, Poussade Y, Tazi-Pain A, Keller J & Gernjak W (2013) Impact of effluent organic matter on low-pressure membrane fouling in tertiary treatment, Water Research, 47 (8) 2633-2642.
- Martin Garcia I, Mokosch M, Soares A, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2013) Impact on reactor configuration on the performance of anaerobic MBRs: Treatment of settled sewage in temperate climates, Water Research, 47 (14) 4853-4860.
- Ayache C, Manes C, Pidou M, Croue JP & Gernjak W (2013) Microbial community analysis of fouled reverse osmosis membranes used in water recycling, Water Research, 47 (10) 3291-3299.
- Donose BC, Sukumar S, Pidou M, Poussade Y, Keller J & Gernjak W (2013) Effect of pH on the ageing of reverse osmosis membranes upon exposure to hypochlorite, Desalination, 309 97-105.
- MacAdam J, Ozgencil H, Autin O, Pidou M, Temple C, Parsons S & Jefferson B (2012) Incorporating biodegradation and advanced oxidation processes in the treatment of spent metalworking fluids, Environmental Technology, 33 (24) 2741-2750.
- Jarvis P, Sharp E, Pidou M, Molinder R, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2012) Comparison of coagulation performance and floc properties using a novel zirconium coagulant against traditional ferric and alum coagulants, Water Research, 46 (13) 4179-4187.
- Martin I, Pidou M, Soares A, Judd S & Jefferson B (2011) Modelling the energy demands of aerobic and anaerobic membrane bioreactors for wastewater treatment, Environmental Technology, 32 (9) 921-932.
- Martin-Garcia I, Monsalvo V, Pidou M, Le-Clech P, Judd SJ, McAdam EJ & Jefferson B (2011) Impact of membrane configuration on fouling in anaerobic membrane bioreactors, Journal of Membrane Science, 382 (1-2) 41-49.
- Monclus H, Zacharias S, Santos A, Pidou M & Judd S (2010) Criticality of flux and aeration for a hollow fiber membrane bioreactor, Separation Science and Technology, 45 (7) 956-961.
- Kadewa WW, Le Corre K, Pidou M, Jeffrey PJ & Jefferson B (2010) Comparison of grey water treatment performance by a cascading sand filter and a constructed wetland, Water Science and Technology, 62 (7) 1471-1478.
- Pidou M, Parsons SA, Raymond G, Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2009) Fouling control of a membrane coupled photocatalytic process treating greywater, Water Research, 43 (16) 3932-3939.
- Alvarez-Vazquez H, Pidou M, Holdner J & Judd SJ (2008) Character of extracellular polymeric substances and soluble microbial products and their effect on membrane hydraulics during airlift membrane bioreactor applications, Water Environment Research, 80 (12) 2193-2201.
- Pidou M, Avery L, Stephenson T, Jeffrey P, Parsons SA, Liu S, Memon FA & Jefferson B (2008) Chemical solutions for greywater recycling, Chemosphere, 71 (1) 147-155.
- Winward GP, Avery LM, Frazer-Williams R, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2008) A study of the microbial quality of grey water and an evaluation of treatment technologies for reuse, Ecological Engineering, 32 (2) 187-197.
- Pidou M, Memon FA, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jeffrey P (2007) Greywater recycling: Treatment options and applications, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 160 (3) 119-131.
- Rivero MJ, Parsons SA, Jeffrey P, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2006) Membrane chemical reactor (MCR) combining photocatalysis and microfiltration for grey water treatment, Water Science and Technology, 53 (3) 173-180.
- Memon FA, Butler D, Han W, Liu S, Makropoulos C, Avery LM & Pidou M (2005) Economic assessment tool for greywater recycling systems, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 158 (3) 155-161.
- San Juan MG, Ometto F, Whitton R, Pidou M, Jefferson B & Villa R (2017) Energy recovery from immobilised cells of Scenedesmus obliquus after wastewater treatment. In: Frontiers in Wastewater Treatment and Modelling, Springer, p. 266-271.
- Knops G, Pidou M, Kadewa W, Soares A, Jeffrey P & Jefferson B (2008) Reuse of urban water: Impact of product choice. In: Dangerous Pollutants (Xenobiotics) in Urban Water Cycle, Netherlands: Springer, p. 13-22.