Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Pidou obtained his first degree in Applied Sciences from the University of Blois (France) followed by a Masters in Chemical Engineering from the University of Nantes (France). He joined Cranfield University in 2003 to study for a PhD in the application of hybrid membrane processes for greywater recycling. After graduating, he was then appointed Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Membrane Processes in 2007. His research focused on the application of hybrid membrane systems for domestic and industrial wastewater treatment. He moved on to a Research Fellow position in the Advanced Water Management Centre at the University of Queensland (Australia) in 2010, where he contributed to projects studying membrane technologies for water recycling. Dr Pidou then returned to Cranfield Water Science Institute in July 2013 and was promoted to Lecturer in Resource Recovery in 2015 and then Senior Lecturer in Resource Recovery in 2020.
Dr Pidou's research vision is to scientifically underpin the innovation and development of technologies to deliver a step change in the efficacy of wastewater treatment and resource recovery. Ultimately the aim is to deliver a paradigm shift in how wastewater is viewed and processed in order to support the development of a more sustainable water sector integrated into a circular economy model.
Dr Marc Pidou’s research interests are in:
- Filtration technologies
- Industrial wastewater treatment
- Phosphorus removal
- Resource recovery
- Tertiary solids removal
- Water recycling
- Alfa Laval
- Anglian Water
- EC H2020
- Garrandale Rail
- Severn Trent Water
- Scottish Water
Articles In Journals
- Hulme AM, Davey CJ, Tyrrel S, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2021) Scale-up of reverse electrodialysis for energy generation from high concentration salinity gradients, Journal of Membrane Science, 627 (June) Article No. 119245. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13562168
- Houlker S, Rutherford T, Herron D, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Pidou M & McAdam E (2021) Demonstrating commercial hollow fibre membrane contactor performance at industrial scale for biogas upgrading at a sewage treatment works, Water (Switzerland), 13 (2) Article No. 172. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13560350
- Murujew O, Geoffroy J, Fournie E, Gioacchini ES, Wilson A, Vale P, Jefferson B & Pidou M (2020) The impact of polymer selection and dose on the incorporation of ballasting agents onto wastewater aggregates, Water Research, 170 (March) Article No. 115346.
- Bavarella S, Hermassi M, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Moon IS, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Recovery and concentration of ammonia from return liquor to promote enhanced CO2 absorption and simultaneous ammonium bicarbonate crystallisation during biogas upgrading in a hollow fibre membrane contactor, Separation and Purification Technology, 241 (June) Article No. 116631.
- Bavarella S, Hermassi M, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Di Profio G, Curcio E, Hart P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Is chemically reactive membrane crystallisation faciliated by heterogeneous primary nucleation? Comparison with conventional gas-liquid crystallisation for ammonium bicarbonate precipitation in a CO2-NH3-H2O system, Crystal Growth and Design, 20 (3) 1552-1564.
- Hulme AM, Davey CJ, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S, Jiang Y, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Managing power dissipation in closed-loop reverse electrodialysis to maximise energy recovery during thermal-to-electric conversion, Desalination, 496 (December) Article No. 114711. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12645842
- Bavarella S, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Di Profio G, Curcio E, Hart P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Chemically reactive membrane crystallisation reactor for CO2–NH3 absorption and ammonium bicarbonate crystallisation: Kinetics of heterogeneous crystal growth, Journal of Membrane Science, 599 (April) Article No. 117682.
- Kadewa WW, Knops G, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Jefferson B & Le Corre KS (2020) What is the impact of personal care products selection on greywater characteristics and reuse?, Science of the Total Environment, 749 (December) Article No. 141413. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12356600
- Houlker S, Davey CJ, Allemand A, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Reconciliation of gas to liquid mass transfer in parallel and transverse flow (cross-flow) hollow fiber membrane contactors (HFMC) for CO2 absorption, Separation Science and Technology, Available online 8 January 2020 (1).
- Bianchi L, Kirwan K, Alibardi L, Pidou M & Coles SR (2020) Recovery of ammonia from wastewater through chemical precipitation: Investigating the kinetic mechanism and reactions pathway of struvite decomposition, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 142 (3) 1303-1314.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 5 (1) 161-171.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Villa R, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2019) Influence of light regime on the performance of an immobilised microalgae reactor for wastewater nutrient removal, Algal Research-Biomass Biofuels and Bioproducts, 44 (December) Article No. 101648. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9892169
- Murujew O, Whitton R, Kube M, Fan L, Roddick F, Jefferson B & Pidou M (2019) Recovery and reuse of alginate in an immobilised algae reactor, Environmental Technology, Available online 9 October 2019 (10).
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Azzini D, Eusebi AL, Tierney R, Williams L, Jiang Y, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Hybrid membrane distillation reverse electrodialysis configuration for water and energy recovery from human urine: an opportunity for off-grid decentralised sanitation, Journal of Membrane Science, 584 (August) 343-352. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8131562.v1
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2018) Consequences of pH change on wastewater depth filtration using a multimedia filter, Water Research, 128 (January) 111-119.
- Whitton R, Santinelli M, Pidou M, Ometto F, Henderson R, Roddick F, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2018) Tertiary nutrient removal from wastewater by immobilised microalgae: impact of wastewater nutrient characteristics and hydraulic retention time (HRT), H2Open Journal, 1 (1) 12-25.
- Ncube P, Pidou M & Jarvis P (2018) The impact of filter bed depth and solids loading using a multimedia filter, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (14) 2249-2258.
- Besançon A, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Jefferson B & Le Corre K S (2017) Impact of pre-treatment technologies on soil aquifer treatment, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, 7 (1) 1-10.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2016) The effect of high hydraulic loading rate on the removal efficiency of a quadruple media filter for tertiary wastewater treatment, Water Research, 107 (December) 102-112.
- Mercer E, Parker A, Cartmell E, McAdam E, Tyrrel S, Pidou M, Kolios A, Williams L & Cruddas P (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Pidou M, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2015) Microalgae for municipal wastewater nutrient remediation: mechanisms, reactors and outlook for tertiary treatment, Environmental Technology Reviews, 4 (1) 133-148.