If you are considering owning a car it is important that you are aware of your legal requirements as a car owner. Remember that you drive on the left hand side of the road in the UK as this may be different from your home country. 

Vehicle Registration

When you buy a car you will usually be given the vehicle's registration document which is issued by the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). If you will be the new owner, you must ensure that you have the car registered to you.


You must have valid insurance for the vehicle you are driving. 

Road Tax

Road tax for your vehicle is required before you are able to drive it in the UK. Road tax can be purchased from some Post Office branches or online from the DVLA website DirectGov.

Driving Licence

You must have a valid license to drive in the UK.

If you are an international student you may be able to drive in the UK with a non-UK driving license for up to 1 year. To see if you are eligible, please check the DirectGov guidance for those with international driving licences.  

Driving in the UK

For your safety and that of other motorists, before you begin driving in the UK, please ensure you are familiar with the Highway Code.

For further information on driving in the UK, please visit DirectGov.


Cranfield University is unable to take responsibility for the content of external sites

Cycling in the UK

If you plan to use a bicycle it is important that you follow safety guidelines and are aware of the rules for cyclists

  • Remember to keep left
  • Wear a cycling helmet and a high-visibility jacket
  • Your bicycle must have lights if you are cycling at night, this is a legal requirement
  • You must stop when traffic lights are red and give way at pedestrian crossings